What's With This Lobster Night?

Piton1

I thought that the crew went diving for them while we were in port. Boy, I guess you learn something new every day.

That's what they make the kids do during the day in Ocean Adventure clubs. And you just thought they went on scavenger hunts...lol. ;) :D

My father is a lobster fisherman and I can basically have it (well when in season) anytime I want when he fishes in the summer, but even after all these years I would still rather just have a steak. So lobster night does absolutely nothing for me. I have never been much of a seafood lover anyway....... I know I know so shameful for a fisherman's daughter. But you are all correct, what I don't have that only leaves more for you. :)

My grandfather was a lobsterman, and my mother says that when they were growing up, she remembers often thinking "Oh, no, not lobster for dinner again". Personally, I love it, but it has to be actual, fresh, Northeastern lobster, preferably eaten outside or in a very informal restaurant -- I am NOT neat when I eat lobster.:D

Shannon12

I posted on several boards so I would get more feedback.

Exactly what feedback do you want, that people have different tastes????

Quite frankly, if my neighbor offers me a Colt 45 I'll accept if it's the only thing he has (well maybe not too)....and wonder why he can only afford Colt 45. But then again, no accounting for taste.

Shannon12

I posted on several boards so I would get more feedback.

I think many folks consider lobster or any kind of shellfish a treat, and don't often prepare it at home.

I also think that lobster is enjoyed regularly by people in certain regions- specifically the northeast where it is more common to have access to fresh lobster, or know how to prepare it.

If many people only have access to lobster tails at their local Red Lobster and it is one of the more expensive items, it is easy to get excited about lobster night, or any night that features something that is out of the ordinary. For some people, the whole cruise is actually 'Lobster Night'- meaning something that they are thrilled about that is special and not something they get to enjoy on a regular basis. Or maybe it is just 'Formal Night' in general. Some people love to dress up and don't have occasion at home to wear their best duds.

People do get worked up over a variety of things. My big thing is when I go to a restaurant and they serve cheese plate for dessert. I go nutty for a good cheese plate!! :p :p Mmm, maybe with a little honey... and a few candied nuts... and some cheese I can't pronounce or identify... oh, see, now you got me all excited! ;)

My grandfather was a lobsterman, and my mother says that when they were growing up, she remembers often thinking "Oh, no, not lobster for dinner again". .....

a good friend I worked with was from Maine, and had family in the fishing industry... said they considered the lobsters a nuisance that got stuck in the fishing nets... he'd trade his lobster sandwiches at lunchtime... he still doesn't like the stuff.

Lobster night! you guys are kidding yourselves if you think you are getting something out of the ordinary or real Maine or northeast lobster with claws. What you get on any main stream cruise ship on so-called "lobster night" that so many of you seem to find awesome are the same frozen lobster tails from Australia or South Africa or even Mexico that you would get if you ate in any Red Lobster restaurant at home. They are the frozen tails of spiny lobsters - no claws - and usually overcooked and rather tasteless unless dunked in lots of butter. Same thing here in so california, but we can get them fresh, not frozen and there is a big difference in both taste and texture:) but I save my moments of rapture for true Maine lobster right out of the lobster pot.

The first time I saw this so called lobster, the waiter was serving the table next to ours and I thought they were getting some kind of cooked JUMBO SHRIMP, still in the shell, cut in half and heavily seasoned.

I wondered why they would request shrimp and pass on the Lobster??

Archived