What's With This Lobster Night?

Piton1

As a bona fide, died in the wool fan of Maine lobster, I don't like the lobster on board, but no big deal. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I have something else. I much prefer RCI's tiger shrimp, but there's never enough. I mentioned this last time on the Jewel and the waiter brought me another tiger shrimp dinner. Yum,!

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

PS: No advertisements were requested for this post.

I am unable to understand the obsession that some people have for denigrating the choices of others. Does it somehow make them feel superior to others? Go figure!

FLCruiseGirl

I confess. I've driven by many a cow and wondered how he would taste. That's because the beef in these parts doesn't have much flavor.

amybear 912, zantedeschia and WindinmySails

Thank you for answering my question

>> The "lobster" isn't a whole loblster--just the tail. The quality of the whole thing has gone downhill in recent years--no more "lobster night"--now, you get a seafood platter. Hardly the same thing! <<

That's true, but the lobster tail is a maine lobster, now. We were very surprised to see this served on our 12/11/06 BOS cruise. It was funny because my DH and I were having a discussion with the cocktail waiter and our assistant waiter about the lobsters. We told him that the usual caribbean rock (spiny?) lobsters are ok.. but that they could never compare to taste of a Maine lobster and that we have never seen Maine lobster served on any cruiselines we've been on (Costa, Hal, Celebrity and RCCL)... while we were talking our waiter had arrived at our table with our plates... he laughed and said you need to take a look at your dinner plate.. RCCL does, now, serve Maine Lobster. I couldn't believe it.. and it does say so on the menu, either. I had no troublee getting extras for us.

I remember people complaining about the new seafood platter replacing the traditional lobster tail that has alwayts been served...I wasn't crazy about this downgrading.. RCCL has seriously downgraded the menu in lots of ways..

And I agree, the shrimp served with the lobster tail on the seafood platter is bad.. limp, small, whatever, I don't think RCCL does shrimp well. But I'll take this SF with the Maine lobster tail any time, over the the rock lobster tails. Next time I'd tell them to leave off the shrimp and just serve me 2 or 3 tails.

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

Yeah for the rebirth of the colt 45.aka the billy dee! I live in maryland and sometimes have a cold one with some fresh steamed crabs. As for lobster on a cruise ship.I myself can take them or leave them.

Being one of the "land-locked" cruisers, I consider lobster to be a real treat, and thoroughly enjoyed my Fisherman's platter a couple of weeks ago. I already paid for it with my fare, so I didn't get the $30+ sticker shock that I would in a local restaurant! Yes, the best lobster I ever ate was served on a paper plate, at a picnic table, from a "mom & pop" restaurant on Cape Cod, but any time I can get lobster, I will take it!!:)

we went to a convention at the hotel del coronado- one night they had a beach party and served lobster tails in addition to a wide variety of other things- the tails i have had on the ship were as good as the ones from hotel del- super nice hotel on island of coronado in san diego area-

lobster is like 40 - 60 a plate where we are - or 15 a lb from grocery but i can''t do them myself - can't get over the live into the boiling water we go deal- i can eat them if i don't see or hear that part.......

after all these posts maybe the op can understand what the big deal is now- and if not, who cares! won't keep me from eating lobster on my next cruise-

Love The Del, anyone who visits San Diego should really take the time to go over to Coronado Island and see it. It does sound like you had banquet food, even the nicest hotels serve banquet food when they have this type of an event (prepared for a lot of people at one time).

I've never heard a lobster scream or squawk when dropped into the pot, has anyone really heard it????

I'm with you. I love my lobster dripping in butter and very messy. I'm lucky that I can have it as often as I do for such an affordable price since I live in New England.

but not everyone is so lucky, hence why they go crazy for the above mentioned lobster tails

Why are you posting this same thing on different boards? Just wondering.

Don't be silly. The tank of live lobsters is down there in the galley, right next to the giant refrigerator with hundreds of sides of beef slowly aging and getting that covering of mold which makes them perfect and tender, and the field of sweet corn waiting to be picked and popped in boiling water immediately!!

>:-)

I thought that the crew went diving for them while we were in port. Boy, I guess you learn something new every day.

i 2nd anyone visiting san diego should go see the del- its a lovely place and a lovely island-

a friend had us over for lobster dinner several years ago- when she dropped them in the boiling water i heard some sound that could have been mistaken for one of them squeeling? wasnt super loud and could have been something else but still gave me the heeby jeebies enough that i won't try it at home...:)

if i had to kill the chicken, the cow, the lamb, the deer, etc......... i would be vegetarian :)

I have given serious consideration to putting together shore trips here in RI. I'd pick up my guest's in Newport RI, drive them 20 min, south to Point Judith, get on a small ferry style boat called the Southland, http://www.southlandcruises.com/MainPage.htm

On the Southland we would tour our lovely port, and one item would be a viewing of a small lobster boat hauling in some pots. Ending with eating at one of my favorite restaurant's, Champlains! They have a fried seafood platter including scallops, fish, clam strips, fries, slaw, and a steamed 1 1/2 lobster all for about $20.

Champlains is up high with a great view of the port! A must go when coming to RI. Also a side point...while Maine lobster is most commonly known, we have the exact same speicies of lobster here. It's very sweet! http://www.champlins.com/door/ The website could use some work, but this place is great! And for those of you landlocked folks, you can get live lobster's shipped. But it's not cheap!

My father is a lobster fisherman and I can basically have it (well when in season) anytime I want when he fishes in the summer, but even after all these years I would still rather just have a steak. So lobster night does absolutely nothing for me. I have never been much of a seafood lover anyway....... I know I know so shameful for a fisherman's daughter. But you are all correct, what I don't have that only leaves more for you. :)

Hey' date=' no one forces anyone to eat lobster, I prefer something else, but others love it. Try something else.:o[/quote']Hey... my waiter FORCED me to eat five lobster tails...

.........(That's my story and I'm sticking with it:rolleyes: :D )

My father is a lobster fisherman and I can basically have it (well when in season) anytime I want when he fishes in the summer, but even after all these years I would still rather just have a steak. So lobster night does absolutely nothing for me. I have never been much of a seafood lover anyway....... I know I know so shameful for a fisherman's daughter. But you are all correct, what I don't have that only leaves more for you. :)

Same here, when we had hard times we skipped the hamburg, and the beef and chicken and lived off flounder scallops and lobster's all off Dads boat. The most expensive item at the table was the butter. :p :p But I love it! I will still be glad to pay for it at local restaurant's as it's just sooo good! I remember the lobster being the spiny warmer weather lobster on Princess, but it was still good to me.

On one of the cruise lines that Samantha Brown did a show on, ( I forgot) did actually have the maine lobster flown in by helicopter on the ship. Now that's fresh!

The easy answer is because some people enjoy lobster :)

Isn't it amazing how two people can have totally different opinions?

Ah, we always want what we can't/don't have. :D

I have unlimited access to some of the best steaks in the mid-west and all I really want is fresh steamed lobster. :(

It's weird how it works out like that.....

Cattle farmers should make a deal with lobstermen and work out a trade!

What's funny is I was JUST thinking the same thing. I am trying to determine what night I want to go specialty restaurant on FOS. And when I saw "lobster" on the menu, I thought OH NO I CAN'T MISS LOBSTER NIGHT :eek: but then I thought to myself, I NEVER eat lobster. lol

So I guess my mind has just been brainwashed to observe lobster night like a sacred holiday. :p

Archived