What's With This Lobster Night?

Piton1

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

PS: No advertisements were requested for this post.

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship. I can hardly believe there is a gigantic tank full of thousands (because that's how many passengers there are) of live lobsters toodling along the seas nervously awaiting their fate. Most likely they are pre-cooked and frozen and reheated at service.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this? A frozen, dried-out crustacean produced in a mass-market manner?

Why in the world would this be a "feature" of Formal Night, as I usually eat my lobster in a tee shirt and jeans because it's going to go all over the place? Do you get a bib for your tuxedo?

When I want a good lobster I go to the local fishmonger and take it home and cook it myself. I might even drink a delicious Colt 45 with it. But at least I know my lobster is FRESH!

Thanks for sharing.

It tastes ok. Lobster isn't totally my thing.

My thinking is some of us (the "royal" us) are too cheap to even buy this "lowgrade" lobster at the local grocery store as we have more important things to spend our grocery money on? So to get it "free" at dinner is a perk we don't get in day to day life.

I guess you won't be asking for seconds then. Do you also drive to a ranch and get a cow when you want a steak?

You could just say no thanks and leave it at that.

But since you didn't. So what! Don't eat them, more for me. And yeah, there is no tank with swimming Lobsters waiting to be munched up... yet.;)

It's like saying why do all these people want to go on these big ships when I hate them? The answer is, because you are in the minority. It's all about the masses.

I'm from Maryland and think the crab cakes served on the ship are let's just say "below standards".:D But to say people have bad taste for liking them is not fair. You have your standards, try the prime rib. Oh, and I believe Crystal Cruises has the live ones you're looking for, of course their's are a bit more expensive.

No big deal though, it would be nice if everything was perfect.

Don't be silly. The tank of live lobsters is down there in the galley, right next to the giant refrigerator with hundreds of sides of beef slowly aging and getting that covering of mold which makes them perfect and tender, and the field of sweet corn waiting to be picked and popped in boiling water immediately!!

>:-)

some of us are not loaded with money and can't have lobster whenever we want because it is expensive so it is a treat to have something we don't have very often... especially if you live in a land-locked state like I do where the seafood is harder to get and as a result is more expensive and more limited both in quantity and selection.

you do realize how pretentious your post sounds don't you??

Who the hell cares how fresh it is....it's free!!! Hard to believe that someone would complain about the freshness of lobster tail and in the very next sentence mention how good Colt 45 is. Think maybe the Colt 45 shot is taste buds.:p

I don't see anything special about the lobster tails served in the dining room on any cruise ship I've been on, but then again I'm from New England where we do get them fresh and they're delicious. I see what you mean about living in a landlocked state. They're expensive in CT; I can't imagine what the price is out there.

I am unable to understand the obsession with "Lobster Night" on a cruise ship.

Why in the world would anyone be excited and anticipating this?

Just out of curiosity . . . is there a point to your post? :confused: I saw that you posted the same thing in three different forums, so it would appear to be an issue that you feel very strongly about . . . I guess. :confused:

Well yeah, we went down to Pappa's Seafood House last Wednesday for their AYCE lobster at $29.99 per. I had um, 4 I think and bf had um, 5 I think. We lost count cause he kept giving me the "arms" part that he wasn't eating so I'd give him half my tail cause I was filling up on the arms (the amount of meat in them is deceptive).

My point being, even tho I love a good Maine lobster (or 4) doesn't mean I won't like the little frozen rock lobster tails they have on Royal. :p

Sfunny he mentioned Colt 45. I just noticed his screenname is Wadadli. That's an Antiguan beer.

Who the hell cares how fresh it is....it's free!!! Hard to believe that someone would complain about the freshness of lobster tail and in the very next sentence mention how good Colt 45 is. Think maybe the Colt 45 shot is taste buds.:p

Actually, it's NOT free--it's included in your fare! You've paid for it in advance!

The "lobster" isn't a whole loblster--just the tail. The quality of the whole thing has gone downhill in recent years--no more "lobster night"--now, you get a seafood platter. Hardly the same thing!

First off, to each their own but I do understand where the OP is coming from.

The OP is from NY. I am from CT so I am assuming the availability and price of cold water lobster (Maine like lobster) is about the same (we have many lobstermen who dock in my town and the surrounding towns). I know it is often on sale for $4.99 a lb here in CT so to go out and pick up a few to cook yourself is not a huge outlay of cash.

Even if you go out to eat many of the lobster establishments are very casual (think outdoors with picnic tables and plastic trays).

I remember asking a guy I was working with who was from Ohio how much lobster went for in Ohio and he said that live Maine lobster could go for $20 - $30 per pound! At those prices I can see why it would be a special treat.

Given all of that I would have to say that most of us in the New England area (I know NY is not New England but it is close enough) are spoiled when it comes to lobster.

I don't like the lobster on the ships either. This time around I will be either ordering something else or going to a specialty restaurant on lobster night.

For all of you who like it you are more than welcome to mine. Enjoy!

Ken

The OP has started a thread that is a valid point, but their delivery is offensive to many.

I have to agree that the lobster is not a big deal, but it's not horrid, it's just not at all like fresh Maine (or any other fresh) lobster. I've had fresh Maine lobster (in Maine and New Hampshire) and unless you have had it before, you can't know what you're missing! Many people just don't have the opportunity to eat fresh lobster for many reasons, the cost being one.

Like a couple of other posters have also pointed out it's certainly not "free", nothing is free on a cruise, you paid for it in your fare. Even knowing this, we still get a kick out of leaving the table every night and not paying a check.

The last couple of cruises that I even recall, it wasn't served on a formal night. Even if it was the waiter or head waiter usually removes it from the shell for you, so no worries about the mess. It's only the tail, not the whole lobster, so there is no cracking and no huge piles of shells to deal with.

But, for me, it's like the rest of the food on a cruise ship. It's all kind of like banquet food, or chain restaurant food, we do not expect gourmet fare, it would be impossible to prepare like that for thousands of guests at a time. But I don't have to do any of the prep or clean up and the atmosphere of the dining room is pleasant for us. That is what we enjoy and appreciate on a cruise.

So, pick out the good parts that you do enjoy and accept what you cannot change :)

I partially agree with the OP. My husband goes crazy for Lobster night and it has never made any sense to me. It really is tasteless compared to a fresh steamed lobster, however, the thought of being able to consume as many as your heart desires is what I believe he really goes crazy for.

I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with the Colt45 part..blech!

What a can of worms I opened when my children had lobster at formal night on Rhapsody. Now they want lobster when we go out to eat. I can't afford 30/lb to feed them lobster. Even a meal that has one tail is over 30.00 a plate. When they grow up and can afford it, they can eat it to their hearts desire. But for now, we settle on lobster on cruises.

Don't be silly. The tank of live lobsters is down there in the galley, right next to the giant refrigerator with hundreds of sides of beef slowly aging and getting that covering of mold which makes them perfect and tender, and the field of sweet corn waiting to be picked and popped in boiling water immediately!!

>:-)

My waiter lied to me, he said they just pulled the traps at port that day. :confused: Damn.

we went to a convention at the hotel del coronado- one night they had a beach party and served lobster tails in addition to a wide variety of other things- the tails i have had on the ship were as good as the ones from hotel del- super nice hotel on island of coronado in san diego area-

lobster is like 40 - 60 a plate where we are - or 15 a lb from grocery but i can''t do them myself - can't get over the live into the boiling water we go deal- i can eat them if i don't see or hear that part.......

after all these posts maybe the op can understand what the big deal is now- and if not, who cares! won't keep me from eating lobster on my next cruise-

Archived