Crimes aboard ships being covered up?

Matsonbrat

News item lately about crimes aboard cruise ships not being properly reported and covered up to some extent by Management. You can understand why the industry would want to keep it under wraps, but still I wonder how bad it is. Anyone have an experience or observe this happening, and if so details may be interesting to read.:confused:

Remember the case that happened around Turkey? The family was throwing accusations like soldiers throw grenades in war. They ended up retracting almost all of them. Gotta be careful when you are reading only one side of a story.

There's a reason why defense lawyers request to dismiss all evidence.

Between the crew and passengers, the ships are starting to have as many people as the town I live in (6,000), so there is bound to be some crime, just like home. But the cruise lines aren't necessarily covering it all up, it's just that who has authority to deal with it is so confusing. I read a news article this morning that the US congress is currently discussing the issue but they really don't have any authority since most of the ships are not registered in the US and most of the waters travelled are not in the US. And reporting it to the local authorities (Mexico, Jamacan, etc.) probably doesn't result in any action.

Our little burg has less people then most cruise ships and I'm sure we have much more crime ( reported & unreported ). I would like to see mandatory reporting standards for all cruise lines vs the loosey goosey reporting done now. ;)

News item lately about crimes aboard cruise ships not being properly reported and covered up to some extent by Management. You can understand why the industry would want to keep it under wraps, but still I wonder how bad it is. Anyone have an experience or observe this happening, and if so details may be interesting to read.:confused:

you are watching Fox News Network too much. LOL

I think the real reason this is coming to the attention of our lawmakers is because the media makes such a big deal out of each and every incident. It's only interesting because it happens during a luxury vacation. That the keep reporting the same incident over and over and over again makes people that are not famliar with the cruise world suspicous that it is a regular event.

I read a message board recently where people were polled about whether or not they would cruise. This was not on a cruise chat board. The overwhelming response was "Why should I pay a lot of money to vacation when everyone is assaulted, robbed, pushed off or always gets sick".

Not that there aren't tragedies aboard cruise ships at times, we just don't hear about these same things happening in other venues. Just last week I read here about a college spring breaker who fell to her death off a balcony at a Florida hotel. That's all I know because I never read it in the online news I go to every day.

If they are going to pay this much attention to assault, accidental death, illness and persons being put in harms way on a cruise ship, why not do the same for every crime committed all over the US? Maybe then the overall crime rate could be reduced.

I'll just say this about this subject. I've been cruising since I was 19 yrs. old - I am now 60. Been on cheapo cruises, expensive European cruises and lots of other cruises in the middle, and I have never heard of any crime or harm coming to anyone on any of the cruises I've been on. Usually, people cause their own problems. For example, on a European cruise we were on we stopped at a small town that was substitued for another one. This was in Italy. We were warned that this town had a problem with pickpockets. They warned everyone not to take anything valuable with them in that port. Women were told not to take purses and men were told to keep their wallets inside their front pockets. Guess what? There were about 3 women who complained that someone had tried to grab there purse and one guy said someone tried to jack his wallet from his BACK pocket! DUH! That's the worse crime I've ever heard of on any cruise I've taken and that was the stupid people's own fault. Except for seasickness I've also never experienced or know of anyone who has experienced illness of any kind. Okay, I take that back, my girlfriend's father had a heart attack on a cruise and died before they reached the next port. But that was a very unusual, horrible exception.

I know there have been incidents, like the newywed that went missing, and young spring breakers getting blasted. I know about the Nurovirus

and drunken spring breakers, it just hasn't to us in the 40 years we have been crusin', and we've been on at least 3 or 4 spring break cruises with our DS.

I think the whole illness, sickness thing is way overhyped by the media!

That's just my personal opinion.

Archived