Can you take snacks/drinks off the ship@ports?

New2Cruisin'07

We will be doing an Eastern Carribean with Carnival. We have 3 little ones, and we are planning to simply enjoy days playing at the beach when we get to St Maarten & St Thomas. We are trying to plan what we will do for snacks & drinks.

I really don't want to get into spending too much cash off the ship if possible. Also, I don't want to take any chances with the safety of any of the food/drink that might be available off-ship.

Would we be able to take any food off??? I would understand the fruit wouldn't be allowed since you wouldn't expect to take it across a border.

Is this possible at all?? What have others done?? Are their ice machines available near the state rooms??

You are correct, you are not supposed to take fresh produce (fruit, veggies) or other plants or flowers off of a ship into another country (although, US customs did let my husband through wearing a hat made from palm in Mexico once...) Cooked/processed foods and dry goods are ok. We always pack bagels, pastries or single-serve cereal boxes from ship's breakfast buffets as a snack for excursions. If you have plastic bowls with lids, you could fill them with some of the granola from the breakfast buffets.

If you have a portable bottle/container, you can fill it with tea, juice or water from the ship's machines. However, it is cheaper to buy bottled water in port than on the ship.

Ice machines are available in the buffet-style areas of the ship where you would get your tea/juice.

We will be doing an Eastern Carribean with Carnival. We have 3 little ones' date=' and we are planning to simply enjoy days playing at the beach when we get to St Maarten & St Thomas. We are trying to plan what we will do for snacks & drinks.

I really don't want to get into spending too much cash off the ship if possible. Also, I don't want to take any chances with the safety of any of the food/drink that might be available off-ship.

Would we be able to take any food off??? I would understand the fruit wouldn't be allowed since you wouldn't expect to take it across a border.

Is this possible at all?? What have others done?? Are their ice machines available near the state rooms??[/quote']

Well I asked the same questions for the same reason . We are going in April and have two kids. What I was told is that it has to be packages from a factory like crakers not ever open. You can not buy a big box of cerceal and put it in smaller containers and take it off the shiip? I know it is expensive. But it will be safer then the food on shore and cheaper.:confused: WE are buying things like chees-its and granola bars and juice boxes. Just something to get us buy until we are back on the ship.

Hope this helps.

The criteria for food that is able to be carried off is that it's supposed to be un opened pre packaged food.

That said, please use your best judgement. Everyone has a different situation.

I've never been know to be a complete angel and I am not going to begin to counsel you on how to be! :D

The criteria for food that is able to be carried off is that it's supposed to be un opened pre packaged food.

That said, please use your best judgment. Everyone has a different situation.

I've never been know to be a complete angel and I am not going to begin to counsel you on how to be! :D

Just out of curiousity... are bags ever routinely checked when leaving a ship? I don't remember from my last cruise.... I don't think they were but that was years and years ago.

We always bring single serve boxes of cereal to port with us. Carnival has Cruncheroos, which are just like Cheerios. One thing I've noticed: sometimes toward the end of a cruise, the Cruncheroos are in short supply.

Have a great cruise!

I pack a few empty water bottles in my luggage to fill with tap water and take along on shore. You can fill your kids sippies with water or juice from the buffet. I also bring a coffee container - the completely covered ones that go in the car, so I can bring coffee along with me when we leave in the morning. Bring empty zip loc bags to put bagels or any other kind of snack or lunch you want - just be ready to toss them in the trash if they're not allowed when you disembark. If you want a sure thing - bring a box of granola bars from home, or little bags of peanuts, etc. Light in your luggage and a great, filling snack while you're running around.

Best,

Mia

We will be doing an Eastern Carribean with Carnival. We have 3 little ones' date=' and we are planning to simply enjoy days playing at the beach when we get to St Maarten & St Thomas. We are trying to plan what we will do for snacks & drinks.

Is this possible at all?? What have others done?? Are their ice machines available near the state rooms??[/quote']

I will tell you what I do if that is okay. I get the termal cups from Walmart, the good ones that don't leak. They have them. I use them on planes as they don't leak. When the children need something to drink and the beverage cart is just not there yet, I have it:) Every morning I order room service, drink that my child likes, fill the sip cups and put in small ice box provided in the rooms. Always have a fresh drink for her until room service can bring something else. Room service is the key, before you go to port, order breakfast, cereal, always been in boxes for us. Have some baggies with you, cheap and easy to pack. Order bagels, cereal, toast, what your child will eat. Room stewart always brings extra cookies if you ask for our daughter in the next port. Put in baggies again and take. Order the juice your child will drink on room service and put in sip cups with ice. By the time the ice melts, it is cold and just right for them. Keep in mind, room service has peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, great for a child moved to a baggie, also comes with chips. Never had any problems taking these items from a ship to port. Hope this helps.

I have taken cookies and other things from the ship as well - i just pack a few baggies from home and put in my suitcase. I also pack little packs of crackers, peanuts, granola bars, etc and then take them on the island with me. I also bring a big water bottle from home and fill it up on the ship to take on the island. I use a backpack on the island - easy to carry your towels, snacks etc.

I'm shocked no one has jumped in to say "NO" you CANNOT take food from the buffet off the ship into the ports. ONLY prepackaged food items, like have been mentioned - small boxes of cereal; granola bars; prepackaged cheese & crackers or peanut butter & crackers - stuff like that. No bagels; no fruit; you can't order a room service breakfast and baggie it up to take ashore (someone said they would take toast?! Gross.) They DO search bags routinely and there will be large signs as you depart the ship warning you that bringing food off the ship into port is ILLEGAL - you could face a substantial fine (which would cost a LOT more than buying a snack in town!). Your ship's daily paper will tell you the same thing. Don't do it. It is irresponsible to risk the ecological health of the islands just te save a few bucks. Either budget money to feed yourselves while ashore, or work you schedule where you will be eating on board the ship. Oh, and also, eating in the ports you will visit is perfectly safe. Catering to (and feeding) tourists from all over the world is what they DO - eat without fear. (But don't eat off of a street vendor or push cart - stick with an establishment or restaurant. You'll be fine, and all the better for having experienced something new!)

I'm shocked no one has jumped in to say "NO" you CANNOT take food from the buffet off the ship into the ports. ONLY prepackaged food items, like have been mentioned - small boxes of cereal; granola bars; prepackaged cheese & crackers or peanut butter & crackers - stuff like that. No bagels; no fruit; you can't order a room service breakfast and baggie it up to take ashore (someone said they would take toast?! Gross.) They DO search bags routinely and there will be large signs as you depart the ship warning you that bringing food off the ship into port is ILLEGAL - you could face a substantial fine (which would cost a LOT more than buying a snack in town!). Your ship's daily paper will tell you the same thing. Don't do it. It is irresponsible to risk the ecological health of the islands just te save a few bucks. Either budget money to feed yourselves while ashore, or work you schedule where you will be eating on board the ship. Oh, and also, eating in the ports you will visit is perfectly safe. Catering to (and feeding) tourists from all over the world is what they DO - eat without fear. (But don't eat off of a street vendor or push cart - stick with an establishment or restaurant. You'll be fine, and all the better for having experienced something new!)

HAHAHAHAHAHA I *thought* I did. I had to go back and check. I did on the Carnival board (same question asked today) so I guess I am getting my replies messed up...lol.

I am with you on this one...

NO DO NOT TAKE FRUIT, MEATS, PRODUCE OFF THE SHIP

(There, do you feel better...lol)

It REALLY isn't an issue of "getting away with it". It is ILLEGAL. You COULD be introducing something harmful into the port city's ecosystem.

That why you aren't allowed to fly and bring fresh fruit home with you. They don't want that stuff in the US.

PLease have some respect for the country you are visiting. Don't "stick it between towels. :rolleyes: There are reasons for the laws.

And I am done with my speech now. ;)

On our last cruise, the Patters warned not to take any food off the ship. Fortunately, I packed Power Bars and Zone bars for our trips into port -- they're okay as they are pre-packaged. At many ports, we were checked. Don't know if anyone got into trouble.

As stated above, these laws are about protecting local agriculture. California is one place where we take agriculture very seriously as it's one of our leading industries here. There's been insect infestations that have devastated the crops from time to time.

ceral, bananas and apples I always take them off the ship and never had an issue ...just stuffed them between the towels

So you actually know you are in violation of local laws when you do that. Might as well screw their enivronment what the heck it isn't your country after all. :rolleyes:

Check into what the fines are to see if you want to gamble taking a banana in. IMHO we should respect their laws. I read where someone got fined $250. for having a cookie in their bag. i got held up for over an hour in New Zealand because the dog sniffed non existant food in my bag. I figured they sniffed crumbs from my sitting on the suitcase in a crowded airport and eating while I was sitting there.

We just came back from a W. Car. cruise with our 2 yr old. It was our first big vacation with him and I really overpacked. I packed snacks and drinks galore and lots of baggies too. What we ended up doing is eating a good breakfast in the buffet (Windjammer for us) and then before leaving, we filled up his sippy with juice and grabbed 2 boxes of Froot Loops. We did end up also taking a baggie of goldfish crackers and one of the individual bottles of Gerber juice for a long day at the beach but otherwise the cereal was fine. We always had a bottle of water on hand and when we saw his juice was getting low, we filled it up with water. Our boy is a big drinker and eater and he had no complaints!

Good luck!

Bridgett

We just came back from a W. Car. cruise with our 2 yr old. It was our first big vacation with him and I really overpacked. I packed snacks and drinks galore and lots of baggies too. What we ended up doing is eating a good breakfast in the buffet (Windjammer for us) and then before leaving, we filled up his sippy with juice and grabbed 2 boxes of Froot Loops. We did end up also taking a baggie of goldfish crackers and one of the individual bottles of Gerber juice for a long day at the beach but otherwise the cereal was fine. We always had a bottle of water on hand and when we saw his juice was getting low, we filled it up with water. Our boy is a big drinker and eater and he had no complaints!

Good luck!

Bridgett

Great for you! We addressed taking food from the ship with the Purser Desk, they told us no meat, fruit, veggies or flowers, otherwise we were okay. On signs posted as we went off the ship at ports, stated the same thing. We followed the rules and things were fine for us.

Archived