Mini-Suite Gtd?

hospsafe

How smart or dumb are we if we decide to go with the "mini-suite gtd" on the Caribbean Princess?

We have never sailed Princess and are a little hesitate with not knowing exactly what room we will be in.

It depends on what GTY you selected. With a GTY you're slightly more likely to be upgraded than someone with an assigned cabin. For example, a GTY AA Mini might get you upgraded to FULL Suite! :) But a GTY AE Mini might just get you an assigned cabin in an AD cabin :( .

The only thing you're "guaranteed" is to have a cabin the the category you originally selected, or one higher. You should really be sure you like your original GTY category, and all the categories above that.

I am probably wrong...regardless is it worth going the "mini-suite gtd" route?
Personally, I don't think it's worth booking a mini GTY. The reason is that the AD mini-suites on Emerald deck (and yes, there are only 12 ADs on the ship, on Emerald deck) are almost always sold out quickly and all of the other minis are on Dolphin, your GTY will just be location on that one deck. Chances of an upgrade to a full suite are slim. If the cost is the same, just book the location you want. It's not the same as booking a GTY inside or outside cabin where there are a number of deck and location possibilities and the possibility of an "upgrade" to another deck or location is greater.

IMO to save some $$ a GUAR is a good plan. Last year I booked an AE mini GUAR - there are only 2 AE's on the whole ship and I was assigned an AA.

The AA was like 800.00 more pp then the AE - so a savings of 1,600.00 for me. The thing with the mini's though - they are pretty well identical in size/decor/amenities - the only difference in the categories is the location.

On Emerald deck the balconies are covered, on Dolphin they are open. There are a couple of AD's with extended balconies other than that they are all the same.

You never know, you could luck out and get a full suite - but it highly unlikely you will assigned anything highter than an AA.

I think you have the same chance of getting upgraded (to a suite) from an AD guarantee and from an AA assigned cabin or guarantee. I have been in an AA guarantee and receive no upgrade and seen AD guarantees receive suites.

The upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways.

I have booked minisuite guarantees and have been pleased with my cabin assignment. I pretty much would be OK with minisuites anywhere and usually end up with an AA or AB. I see nothing wrong with going with a guarantee.

I think you have the same chance of getting upgraded (to a suite) from an AD guarantee and from an AA assigned cabin or guarantee. I have been in an AA guarantee and receive no upgrade and seen AD guarantees receive suites.

The upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways.

I have booked minisuite guarantees and have been pleased with my cabin assignment. I pretty much would be OK with minisuites anywhere and usually end up with an AA or AB. I see nothing wrong with going with a guarantee.

I totally agree with this Coral. The category mini suite you choose, really doesn't make a lot of difference. I have noticed on many sailings a lot of upgrades go to the AA category as it is usually the most expensive and doesn't sell as well as the other mini suite categories. Therefore lots of availability.

Don't know if this helps but we took a mini-suite AE guarantee and an inside guarantee over Thanksgiving and were upgraded to the Family Suite. All the minisuites are the same so we usually take the guarantee and have almost always been upgraded to an AA/AB.

Last year on the Coral Princess we booked an AD gtd and were upgraded to AB. Location of the cabing was great, midship Dolphin deck. Only downside, the balconies on the Dolphin deck have no cover. For most, that's not an issue, but for us we like to have cover. Not so much for privacy, but like to have shade and if it's raining we can still use the balcony as long as it's not raining heavily.

Archived