On POH...tell me the TOP TEN THINGS WE MUST TO DO TO ENSURE A GREAT CRUISE EXPERIENCE

N2Cruzin

Hello everyone.....With so much chatter about the lack of this and that on the Pride of Hawaii...could you please give us your TOP TEN THINGS TO DO TO ENSURE A GREAT CRUISE EXPERIENCE on the POH? Other than, pack your patience, don't go, book another ship, etc. what are some of your practical tips that will help make my 50th birthday week, a positive one to remember?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

I've never been to Hawaii but am excitedly planning my trip next February on the Pride of Aloha.

Someone much wiser than I (beachchick) would recommend you allow some time for relaxation. I on the other hand want to fit in as much of Hawaii as I possible can for my time and money so I expect to come home EXHAUSTED!!!

My tips would be to study the boards as much as you can. Beachchick did an extensive review that is on this board that is extremely helpful. Also get the revealed books and check out the CC Hawaii boards.

I BELIEVE the key issue with the NCLA cruises is the shortage of staff. Then when you have cranky passengers who are complaing to the staff who already has too much to do, the response may not be what is wanted. I think the first day passengers arrive hungry and tired. The airlines have most likely done little to feed anyone. The short handed staff can't get things ready fast enough, and the tone is set.

If possible, fly into Hawaii a few days early so you aren't exhausted when you get on the ship - again adding to crankiness. We of course can't do that, so we will be exhausted starting our trip. I will try to keep my big mouth shut and hopefully bring some kind of snack with me.

Also I don't know how much research you've done, but I didn't realize until starting my planning that warm clothes may be needed for early morning sun rises and higher altitudes.

Hello everyone.....With so much chatter about the lack of this and that on the Pride of Hawaii...could you please give us your TOP TEN THINGS TO DO TO ENSURE A GREAT CRUISE EXPERIENCE on the POH? Other than, pack your patience, don't go, book another ship, etc. what are some of your practical tips that will help make my 50th birthday week, a positive one to remember?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

You should check out the Hawaii ports of call board for recommendations on what to do in port. Good luck.

Ten things you can do to have a better time on POH:

1.) Consider breakfast on the aft deck of the Aloha Nui Cafe... super busy between 8-9am, but still do-able. It's a good meeting place if you're travelling with family and friends too (it's a nice place to just relax in the morning - and there's a smaller version of the buffet out there too)

2.) Use your service dial outside your room to let the staff know if you want your room made up, turned down, etc. You may or may not get the service requested, but if you don't do this little detail you *definitely* won't get the service you want.

3.) Make it a habit to call the restaurant reservation desk each morning (as close to 7am as possible, if you can) to make sure you get your choice of restaurant and time for the *next* day. Likewise, go up to the Blue Lagoon on the first afternoon to set up res. for the first and second night. Ask the staffer who helps you get set up for tips and recommendations.

4.) Skip the spa. If spa time is your thing, consider going to one of the resorts or a day spa. I can't say that the spa on POH is all that special - treatments were marginal at best (and our group tried several different things). It's VERY expensive on the ship, and you could be rather disappointed.

5.) If you go to Cagney's... ask for passionfruit sorbet. It's not on the menu...but YUM!!!

6.) Avoid the main dining rooms if you can help it. Our experience with food quality and service was dismal, and we didn't find anyone else who could say anything positive about it. There are two "free" specialty restaurants that are better, and the other ones are so worth the relatively low cover charge. We had really good meals in all specialty restaurants. (did Cagney's and Jasmine more than once, they were so good to us!)

7.) Have a nightcap up at the Spinnaker lounge in the evenings when the late night dance party is going on - it's fun to watch, even if you don't want to get up and boogie. We got more entertainment there, than in any of the production shows. :D (which were funny, but not intentionally...:rolleyes: )

8.) In the first port (Hilo, still?) take a little trip up to Hilo Hatties on the shuttle (if you don't rent a car...which you should)... and hit the Wal-Mart next door for some bottled water or other beverages of choice. Check the policy on this first though - I keep hearing that you can't do this anymore, but you should probably get a local interpretation on that policy. It's nice to have cold beverages in your room fridge (and chocolate covered macadamia nuts!)

9.) Plan for some "down time". I recommend taking all or part of the second day in Maui and Kauai to relax. This trip seems SO busy, that we thought we needed a vacation after our vacation!

10.) Know that after 1pm on Kauai-day 2, *everyone* will be on the ship looking for food and fun. Get your lunch early (or off the ship right by the dock). Strangely enough, food is sort of challenging to get that afternoon - lots of people, very few choices after 3pm. The aft deck of the Aloha Nui is a great place to relax while the ship cruises by the NaPali coastline. Get there by 3ish though, or it fills up. There's a nice bar out there to enjoy cool hawaiian beverages. :D Bring a book, binoculars, a journal, a camera, friends & family...whatever... but the afteroon is really enjoyable out there. (we saw whales too!!!)

Have fun, whatever you decide to do!

I've never been to Hawaii but am excitedly planning my trip next February on the Pride of Aloha.

Someone much wiser than I (beachchick) would recommend you allow some time for relaxation. I on the other hand want to fit in as much of Hawaii as I possible can for my time and money so I expect to come home EXHAUSTED!!!

My tips would be to study the boards as much as you can. Beachchick did an extensive review that is on this board that is extremely helpful. Also get the revealed books and check out the CC Hawaii boards.

I BELIEVE the key issue with the NCLA cruises is the shortage of staff. Then when you have cranky passengers who are complaing to the staff who already has too much to do, the response may not be what is wanted. I think the first day passengers arrive hungry and tired. The airlines have most likely done little to feed anyone. The short handed staff can't get things ready fast enough, and the tone is set.

If possible, fly into Hawaii a few days early so you aren't exhausted when you get on the ship - again adding to crankiness. We of course can't do that, so we will be exhausted starting our trip. I will try to keep my big mouth shut and hopefully bring some kind of snack with me.

Also I don't know how much research you've done, but I didn't realize until starting my planning that warm clothes may be needed for early morning sun rises and higher altitudes.

I appreciate the compliment, but think it's more accurate to say that you and I simply have different approaches to the cruise. You are no less "wise" if you know that you want to stuff each day full of activities. My general advice to leave some time for relaxing is based on three things: Personal preference; the fact that often times people take cruises in order to have some "down time" on the ship; and the very large number of people we've seen throughout the years (on land trips and on PoH) who have planned a packed schedule, but look exhausted and unhappy by the third day of their trip--there's a look of dread they get on their faces when contemplating yet the next thing on the "to do" list. OTOH, if you know that won't happen to you, then by all means, go for it.

I'm glad you enjoyed my review and found it helpful. Your suggestion to fly in a few days early is right on! And you hit the nail on the head with the crankiness issue too. I completely agree that pre-cruise time to decompress makes for a more enjoyable cruise. (I realize not everyone can do that, but if you can do it, please do.)

Top Ten:

Don't expect perfection, but don't expect poor quality either. So many members seem to go in with the attitude that "the American crew won't be any good, so I'm going to hate this cruise." Well, of course they're going to when they are so negative before they even get on the ship. If you don't get chocolates the first night, don't decide this means the crew "sucks." Just ask (or turn the little wheel to "turn down cabin" when you go out for dinner). If you have a real problem, complain immediately rather than letting it fester, which will no doubt then make any little seem thing like the end of the world.

Do have a pleasant attitude. The crew members respond to this and will go out of their way to please you and be helpful.

Do decide how much constant activity will work for you. If you know you like some "hang by the pool" time, then don't plan four activities for every port. If you're the type to be bored to tears on sea days, then do plan more activities. I guess my best advice is to know yourself and your preferences--and don't do what others say you "must" do just because they've said so.

Do expect that none of the onboard restaurants can seat the entire contigent of pax all at once. Eat "where you want, when you want" have practical and logical limitations. (NCL really needs to address this because so many people seem to think that the Freestyle thing means that every single pax can be accomodated in every single restaurant at the exact second they want to dine!) If you have a special occasion or know where you want to eat, call for reservations that morning. Be flexible. If you want to dine at the most popular times, expect that many others are trying to do the same.

Don't expect five-star dining. Some of the food was excellent, some was kind of lousy, and most was just fine. This is a mass-market line with about the same food quality as we've experienced on other mass-market lines. (Do eat pineapple as often as possible. You won't find it any fresher or sweeter than when you eat it in Hawaii.)

Do do some research about the islands before you go. Decide what kind of activities interest you. There is so much to do and so much to choose from that the common question of "What should I do?" or "What are the must do's?" is impossible to answer because it's far to broad and vague. Plus, my must do's might be your "is she insane"s. Do rent cars in advance if you want to go off on your own. The rental companies do sell out sometimes, especially because cruise pax are competing with the thousands of land visitors who are on the islands every day of the year.

Do take the stairs! There is enough good food and drink onboard that you will need that exercise. Do enjoy the pool deck--and the water slide. Do explore the ship and go up to the deck 11 bridge viewing room. Very cool.

Don't go to the production shows expecting great quality. The stage is kind of small, the vocals (except leads) are pre-recorded (as is the instrumentation), the leads are marginal. It's partly because the cruise is so port intensive. I think they decided that night life wasn't going to be as big a deal. Do go to the lounges and so forth for evening music and dancing. Some of it was very nice.

Do wear sunscreen and bring a hat! Lobster is meant to be eaten in the dining room, it should not be a skin color.

Do have a wonderful time in the beautiful state of Hawaii.:D

beachchick

I have been researching for this trip for at least 6 months and this is by far my most favorite thread!! I've read all the reviews (and enjoyed them...thanks everyone who has done them!!), but this is covering a different aspect. I thought I'd taken every note possible, but I'm now jotting down more tips that are valuable to me! I love the advice from Thunderfox about the lunch in Kauia (I'm not sure that would have occurred to me until it was too late!) and of course, Beach Chick I have already written a 'mini-novel of tips' from your very detailed and helpful review!:o

I also think cruizinwithkids is dead on with the initial problem of passenger crankiness spreading to staff crankiness on that first day if everyone is feeling out of sorts when boarding. I think that is a very astute observation!!

So thanks N2Cruzin for starting this thread, and thanks to all you experienced cruisers for sharing these invaluable tips.

My husband and I were on the POAmerica...

just remember everytime that you get off that ship that you are in one of the most amazing places:D ... it is hard to describe but you will know what I mean when you get there.

As for NCLA ships... I agree with the others... do a little homework and research the ports of call boards...

Only been on a "Pride of" ship before it became a "Pride of" - the NCL Sky - now the Pride of Aloha BUT I have been on 3 NCL cruises and I have been to Hawaii - so my comments will be more generic.

1. READ the Freestyle Daily - it has a lot of info that will make your cruise easier and more pleasant (like restaurant opening times and entertainment times and locations)

2. As others have said - try to arrive a few days early - the flight is long and tiring and if you board the ship immediately after landing, you will be very tired and very cranky - little things will seem like mountains. Just relax for a couple of days and you will be ready to zip around every island

3. Get some really good Hawaiian guidebooks - I liked and used the "Revealed" series. Read them before hand and have an idea what you would like to do on each island.

4. I recommend renting a car on each island. The roads are good and with limited time, you will be able to do a lot more with your own wheels.

5. Do not expect this cruise to be like every other cruise you have taken. It is VERY port intense and the crew of the ship will not behave like the international crew on other cruiseships. Does that mean that the service they provide will be poor - from what I have read, I don't think so - but I am convinced that it will be "different".

6. What you should expect to get on-board:

- a clean, well supplied cabin (but your cabin steward may not introduce him/her self and will expect you to use the "little wheel" on your door).

- edible food

- polite service

- a cabin with everything in working order

If you don't get these things - complain while you are on-board.

7. Re: dining - use common sense, be flexible and you will have few issues. Do not turn up with a group of 15, on "lobster" night at 'prime' time (6:30-7:30) and expect to be seated immediately. Do not expect to get all the reservations and times you want in the "specialty" restaurants - be flexible about your reservaton times and nights. At the buffet, on the Pride of Aloha anyway (remember I was on her when she was the Sky) I think the nicest place to eat is outside at the back (I could never understand why people would crowd up the inside area.)

8. Pack a sense of humour, a lot of common sense and some flexibility

9. Go with the attitude that this cruise is about Hawaii, NOT about pretending you are on your own private yacht.

10. Expect to enjoy yourself but don't expect perfection (except maybe in a certain light on the top of Haleakala).

Thank you all for the great tips. We are going to be in Hawaii for 2 weeks prior to the cruise for work, fun and reunion. We lived on the Big Island 10 years ago and got our masters degree while we were there....so we're going back to say aloha to our class mates.

Our focus for this cruise (this is my 23rd cruise) was not so much the ports..although we'll be getting off a few times to do things we didn't do when we lived in the islands but more to relax and take advantage of any spa specials they may be running, reading a good book, etc. My request for assistance comes from how to most effectively deal with the NCLA ship and staff so that its positively memorable....yes, we'll pack our patience and empathy for the staff. I worked at Disney for 25 years and understand the staffing challenges of the hospitality business and empathize with those who are on the front line carrying the torch for the company in spite of low staff levels, cranky guests and inept managment.

All that being said....I'd still like to read your tips on what to do and not do on the ship.....I enjoy reading your input. Mahalo for sharing!

Steve

We live on the Big Island and did the POH cruise last Oct. and are cruising on the Pride of Aloha in two weeks. We have also cruised the islands on the 11-day wind cruise twice. We usually only get off the ship a couple of times to see something new or do something different. On this upcoming cruise, we will be ziplining on Kauai...but that is the only thing we have planned.

You will find that many folks who live in Hawaii will be on the cruise and enjoy it exactly the way we do. They rarely get off the ship...as the ship IS the destination for all of us. While the ship is in port during the days, the pool deck is a wonderful place to relax. There is plenty of room in the pools and the hot tubs. The servers and bartenders are not rushed or swamped and have plenty of time to talk and socialize. This is especially fun with the American crewmembers. All are more than willing to talk story with you as they have the time during the quiet day hours.

There are enough activites to keep busy if you wish. I am not a spa person, but I do enjoy the craft classes and even got my husband to join me at two of them on our POH cruise. He is still very pround of the kukui nut lei he made and he also enjoyed our class in Hawaiian money folding. We still laugh when we tell people he went to craft class. We enjoyed the gym each day also...and timed our visits there when most folks were on shore.

I understand that these port-intensive Hawaiian cruises are a once in a lifetime chance for most to experience the beauty of the islands. But, the problems arise when these folks cram too much into each day and return to the ship tired and cranky at night. They are tired at dinner and are not into a nice relaxing dinner. They want to eat and go back to their cabins to rest up for the next day. And, early the next morning it starts all over again...with the frenzy at the breakfast buffet and the rush to get off the ship for another jam-packed day. My advice is to wait a bit before hitting the buffet or restaurants for breakfast....we just grab a cup of coffee and sit out on deck and wait for the crowds to leave the ship before heading to breakfast. The same goes for dinner.....we have a couple of drinks, go to the early show...and eat a later dinner. There will be virtually no lines and no wait to be seated after the rush.

On our last cruise I heard NO complaining from any of us "locals"....we were all relaxed and working the cruise on "Hawaiian Time"...:D

I've been seeing your posts on and off the past few months, and I'm excited for you that your 'time' is almost here! I just can't wait until June....and it is finally getting closer!

Are you going into Honolulu early? If so, have you decided on transportation from the airport to your hotel? I'm still trying to decide on that, so let me know how that goes if you are going in early!

I'll be anxiously awaiting your review.....Bon Voyage!

I've been seeing your posts on and off the past few months, and I'm excited for you that your 'time' is almost here! I just can't wait until June....and it is finally getting closer!

Are you going into Honolulu early? If so, have you decided on transportation from the airport to your hotel? I'm still trying to decide on that, so let me know how that goes if you are going in early!

I'll be anxiously awaiting your review.....Bon Voyage!

Thanks Tray!

I've had fun the last few months. Our roll call is a great group.

We're flying in on Thursday to Honolulu (flying out of Toronto). We're staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki for 4 nights prior to the POH cruise. We're getting a car at the airport since we'll be in Oahu for several days, so I can't help you on the ground transport to the pier or your hotel. After the cruise, we're flying to the Big Island and spending an additional 4 nights at the Hilton Waikaloa Village.

It's going to be a long trip, but should be a great time. We actually leave for Toronto tommorrow afternoon! :D

I'll be sure to post a review when I return, and will try to answer any questions you might have.

Archived