Separate QM2, QE2, & QV on Cunard Board

ColumbiaSC

I think the problem with seperate threads or separate boards for each ship is that sometimes the topics being discussed is about a line in general. So while someone might only be interested in one particular item concerning one particular ship there may be information pertinent to others. That being said, I do see threads here about particular ships here more than the other boards since Cunard has few ships in its fleet and they are not alike at all. However, I don't think total separation is always practical.

David

Why can't threads about QM2, QE2, and QV be separated on the Cunard Board? I am only interested in seeing what is new about one at a time!

At face value this has appeal. But - and it is a big but - Cunard operates only three ships. The three ships are very different. Two liners, one of which is a classic. The other is a cruise ship marketed as a Liner (which is setting it up to fail).

But part of the value of the site is learning about the others. For those in America, who for good geographic reasons, will find QM2 first, may then realise that QE2 has a great deal to offer.

Those who base their ship board antics to QE2 might be persuaded that the other two do in fact have something to offer - the crossers being led to QM2, the cruisers to QV.

Those whose interest is in QV might be pleased to find out that Cunard has two real liners out there, and that this might prove worth investigating.

Matthew

In reference to the comment that QV will fail because of Cunard marketing her as a liner, I think you need to put things into perspective. Most people couldn't give a tinker's damn whether or not she's a true liner. As long as she's comfortable, provides good food and service, and folks have a pleasant experience on her, she will be a success. But that's the case with ANY cruise ship or ocean liner.

The handful of us on these boards who have an opinion on the subject will not make up a majority of the jury,....

As far as seperating threads by ships, I'm not sure I see the point. As Matthew pointed out, there IS value in the fact that folks can come to these boards and find info that, if seperated, they may miss.

Afterall, this is a type of community,...which means to bring people together.

-Russ

In reference to the comment that QV will fail because of Cunard marketing her as a liner, I think you need to put things into perspective. Most people couldn't give a tinker's damn whether or not she's a true liner. As long as she's comfortable, provides good food and service, and folks have a pleasant experience on her, she will be a success. But that's the case with ANY cruise ship or ocean liner.

-Russ

The QE2 and QM2 are marketed on the back of, to start with, QM, QE, Aquitania, Caronia, Laconia et al. Mentions of the early ships, and also Mauretania (I) and Berengaria are not absent.

Caronia and Laconia are clearly glory days to market the world cruise. But the rest of them were North Sea Ferries pure and simple.

If Cunard attracts a sophisticated and intelligent passenger, I don't think that one should be too quick to condemn my position.

Clearly, however, looking around at the world today probably means that Russ is right.

Matthew

-Russ

I think you hit the nail on the head. Only the purists will really care whether or not the QV is a true ocean liner under the traditional classification. Even most of the Cunard patrons travel on Cunard for other reasons and thus if the QV sprouted platoons and hyrdofoiled its way across the ocean few would care as long as they got their traditional creature comforts.

Now, that being said I was able to spot differences between the QM2 and the two cruise ships I was on previously and could tell the "liner" difference. That might be a selling feature for a certain segment of the population but I agree with Russ that what will make or break the QV will be anything other than the official classification of the ship. It will be the prices and services received that will do it!

David

Why can't threads about QM2, QE2, and QV be separated on the Cunard Board? I am only interested in seeing what is new about one at a time!

Keep us together if only to facilitate the expression of our genteel differences of opinion concerning QE2 vs QM2 vs QV. In other words, it's easier to draw crowds and draw blood if we're swinging in the same room.

Paul

if the QV sprouted platoons and hyrdofoiled its way across the ocean few would care David

David,

Do you know which voyage she will be sprouting these platoons? (I assume you mean platoons of Marines!) I might be interested in that voyage!

On the other hand, if she will only be sprouting pontoons, well,then, Never mind! You got me all excited there for a minute! <LOL>

Kaire,

who loves you and knows that it is tax season, both here and there, no?

David,

Do you know which voyage she will be sprouting these platoons? (I assume you mean platoons of Marines!) I might be interested in that voyage!

Oh Karie. I opened my big mouth far too early before I had a chance to check the facts. Of course I would like to see platoons too :D but I think you were correct in that I really meant pontoons.

I was originally going to say "sprout wings and fly" but that would be silly for a boat. :rolleyes:

David

Caught red-handed, worked 243 hours in March and exhausted. Its showing!

I'm not bothered about platoons of Marines. I'd take just one or two:)

Mighty generous of you, Malcolm. Mighty generous!

Karie,

who wouldn't hog the whole platoon either. I'm sure some of them worship in my pew! (so to speak!)

Archived