Restaurants in St. Petersburg

We were on a 3 day custom tour with Denrus (8 people) and we didn't want to commit to pre-decided restaurnat lunches....first day we went to Stolle Pies (very good!) but at a busy location!!! Next day we went to Stroganoff's (also nice choice!) and then third day we had wanted a blini place (almost like ordering from a hot-dog stand), but we ended up at another Stolle Pie location (quieter, less crowded)....there are so many fillings to choose from with your pies (meats, vegetables,cheese, fruit filled) - unfortunately Stolle Pies do not take reservations (despite the fact that their website says so!)...there are also hot soups you can order, but they were going to take longer to prepare, so the group just stuck with Stolle Pies....

CJcruzer

• 3 weeks later...

Stolle Pies have these filled breads - meat, cabbage, cheese, spinach, etc...and fruit ones for dessert - you can purchase a "wedge" of any kind, my husband and I bought 1/2 to be split of the meat one, and then 1/2 of a small pice of a cherry filled (also to be shared)......very reasonable..and they are out on display - the hot menu items may take longer to prepare and might cut into your touring time - depending which location you eat at.....

CJcruzer

Stolle Pies have these filled breads - meat, cabbage, cheese, spinach, etc...and fruit ones for dessert - you can purchase a "wedge" of any kind, my husband and I bought 1/2 to be split of the meat one, and then 1/2 of a small pice of a cherry filled (also to be shared)......very reasonable..and they are out on display - the hot menu items may take longer to prepare and might cut into your touring time - depending which location you eat at.....

CJcruzer

thanks - I guess that's their "sandwich"...............sounds yummy too :)

We went to Stolle Pies on our 1st day and last day, (3 day private tour) - the first location was right in the middle of town, I believe on Nevsky - very very busy!!! the third day was at a location that was less crowded, not right in the crowded shopping/business section.....

On the second day we went to Stroganoff's - which is in the courtyard of Count Stroganoff Palace - and yes, Beef Stroganoff got its name from here - they had a nice buffet, you could also order from the menu, but we had not pre-arranged to eat there and they seemed a little overwhelmed (mind you there were only 8 of us and the restaurant was not that busy) - so we had the buffet, both English and Russian dishes....

CJcruzer

We went to Stolle Pies on our 1st day and last day, (3 day private tour) - the first location was right in the middle of town, I believe on Nevsky - very very busy!!! the third day was at a location that was less crowded, not right in the crowded shopping/business section.....

On the second day we went to Stroganoff's - which is in the courtyard of Count Stroganoff Palace - and yes, Beef Stroganoff got its name from here - they had a nice buffet, you could also order from the menu, but we had not pre-arranged to eat there and they seemed a little overwhelmed (mind you there were only 8 of us and the restaurant was not that busy) - so we had the buffet, both English and Russian dishes....

CJcruzer

How was the food at Stroganoff's Yard? Stolle's sounds interesting for the 3 of us but I'm not sure my very fussy 9 year old would eat anything. Stroganoff's Yard menu has food more towards his liking and it seems like more variety. The restaurant sounds interesting with the telephones.

Thank you!

Eileen

• 1 month later...

Were you REALLY there Mark???? Our CC members were all looking out for you on board Rotterdam but never located you. You became our mystery man. We were very disappointed not to ever meet you. Hope you had a great time anyway.

Jennie

• 4 months later...
We were on a 3 day custom tour with Denrus (8 people) and we didn't want to commit to pre-decided restaurnat lunches....first day we went to Stolle Pies (very good!) but at a busy location!!! Next day we went to Stroganoff's (also nice choice!) and then third day we had wanted a blini place (almost like ordering from a hot-dog stand), but we ended up at another Stolle Pie location (quieter, less crowded)....there are so many fillings to choose from with your pies (meats, vegetables,cheese, fruit filled) - unfortunately Stolle Pies do not take reservations (despite the fact that their website says so!)...there are also hot soups you can order, but they were going to take longer to prepare, so the group just stuck with Stolle Pies....

CJcruzer

Approximately how much is an average lunch at Stolle Pies? I've been told we need to pay in rubles so I need to know how much $$ to bring.

• 3 weeks later...
Meal at Stolle would not exceed 200-300 rubles - $10-15. The most convenient is the one next to the Church on the Spilt Blood; there are 2 more - not far from the Mariinsky theatre and the Synagogue.

Thank you. In checking our itinerary I see that our tour guide has arranged for us to eat at the one next to the Church of the Spilled Blood on day 2 of our tour. We're really looking forward to our 2 day tour of your beautiful city.

we had lunch at the stroganoff cafe, but apparently we came at the end of a busy day, as there was no food on the buffet table! Finally they brought out a pot of stroganoff and some shredded cabbage. We were all so hungry everyone took a big scoop of the stroganoff, but it went immediately into our napkins- I can still remember that taste. Our guide told us it was a special kind of stroganoff, made out of horse liver. Bleaghh! It was very cheap though, about 12$ for 6 of us.

I believe we took out the equivalent of about $100 in rubles - our guide took us to an ATM before we were going to lunch the first day - that being said, we ate 3 lunches, bought a few small things and I still had rubles left to use towards the tip (used the rubles up first, then added US$ to make up the total)....

Stroganoff's - you can eat from the buffet - OR you can order from a menu - soups, etc....however, it may hold up the progress of your tour....we all elected to eat from the buffet (and there is lots more than just stroganoff!!!) - to shorten the amount of time taken for lunch -

CJcruzer

For a day that you are not eating with a Russian family, Denrus suggested eat at the best "fast food" kiosk in St. Petersburg: Teremok. Blini heaven, cheap and fast!! Works for us. Do a google search and get more info..

Web site :http://www.teremok.ru

Hello...

A lot of restaurants have been mentioned multiple times. They are quite good and present an opportunity for a quick meal at a reasonable price.

I've tried all but one of the recommended restaurants and I'd like to add an alternative. My favorite restaurant in St. Petersburg was Borsalino in the Angleterre Hotel/adjacent and connected to the Astoria. It's bistro-like with a selection of both Continental, Italian and Russian food. Directly across the street from St. Issac's Cathedral, it's easy to access and the prices are moderate.

I wanted to sample caviar at least once while in St. Petersburg and it was presented well and quite a treat!

For a more upscale experience, Davidov's in the Astoria, had amazing Russian food and ambiance. They did require reservations and the restaurant is more for "dining" and not cheap, but worth the one time experience.

Enjoy...wherever you go!

murphysmum;)

• 5 months later...
Hello...

A lot of restaurants have been mentioned multiple times. They are quite good and present an opportunity for a quick meal at a reasonable price.

I've tried all but one of the recommended restaurants and I'd like to add an alternative. My favorite restaurant in St. Petersburg was Borsalino in the Angleterre Hotel/adjacent and connected to the Astoria. It's bistro-like with a selection of both Continental, Italian and Russian food. Directly across the street from St. Issac's Cathedral, it's easy to access and the prices are moderate.

I wanted to sample caviar at least once while in St. Petersburg and it was presented well and quite a treat!

For a more upscale experience, Davidov's in the Astoria, had amazing Russian food and ambiance. They did require reservations and the restaurant is more for "dining" and not cheap, but worth the one time experience.

Enjoy...wherever you go!

murphysmum;)

After a lot of research we decided to have lunch at Davidov's in the Astoria--and were very happy we did. As mentioned, it is not cheap, but it is nice and the food was very good. You can see their menu online, which was helpful in making our decision to eat there. It was definitely an upscale experience with good service and a nice ambiance. Other advantages: The Astoria hotel itself is nice, has good restrooms, and you can pay by credit card.

The 2nd day we had lunch at Stolle, and cannot recommend them highly enough. We thought it was fun. Good authentic Russian food, plus it was fast and inexpensive. Don't miss it!

We jsut returned from Baltics. Our guide (Alla Tours) took us to a really nice casual restaurant (take out as well) very near the Hermitage Museum. They served the meat pies and blueberry/apple/lemon pastries as well, and borsht soup. The price was great - I have too look up my receipts but I believe it was around 400,000 rubles (approx. $22 for 3 meat pies, blueberry pie, 2 cappucino and a soup). The ambience was great as well and many locals seem to go there. We noticed a lot of locals coming in to take home pies. - My favorite was the mushroom/onion, DH liked the beef and we also had a salmon pie. The blueberry pie was good as well.

Archived