Smokers...please advise

Janespup

I have actually suggested to Carnival that they need to have Oreck Air Units available for those who would like to smoke in their cabin. They are not very big and work really well in small spaces. It would be neat if Carnival made these available for a refundable deposit. I suggested this as a fix for those who open their cabin doors to "air out" their rooms (because not even smokers want to sit in their own waste) but unfortunately, fogged up the hallways in the process.

If Oreck would produce a "personal size" , I would be tempted to take one with me!!

I have been really excited as we are booked for our first balcony cruise.

I had a picture in my mind that included quiet solitude and fresh sea air.

Reality stomps in and now I realize that I may have second hand smoke and loud neighbors. :(

Relax...you will have quiet and fresh air. We smokers are not out on our balconies with ten butts going at once screaming over to other balconies, even though I am an East Coast heathen, I know how to behave...

Lezlee, I'm sorry for butting in! But wanted say, if you haven't tried Chantix, do it!! It has so far worked for me, and both my parents... it's good stuff and worth the money so far!! I wish you luck! We have all quit before, for anywhere from 3-7 years, and know how tough it is!! It's tough, but you can do it!!! Good luck!

I have heard of people going back to smoking after this length of time and I am hoping that after that length of time, the last thing you think about is a cigarette. My husband does not smoke and I have not smoked since the end of December but am hanging on to the patches, longer then is recommended. I know hubby would hate for me to start up again and I do breath a lot easier. He is on a trip right now, so the temptation is strong but I will not.

Carol

I have heard of people going back to smoking after this length of time and I am hoping that after that length of time, the last thing you think about is a cigarette. My husband does not smoke and I have not smoked since the end of December but am hanging on to the patches, longer then is recommended. I know hubby would hate for me to start up again and I do breath a lot easier. He is on a trip right now, so the temptation is strong but I will not.

Carol

My dad went back after almost 8 years. It is like any addiction, it is with you for life. Stick with the patches as long as you need to... the number one reason people start back is they didn't take enough time to break the addiction... stick with it!!! Best of luck to you!!!!!

We're a one smoker household only unfortunately, for the time being, it's me. I also, don't smoke in my house. There isn't any air filtering system in the cabins so without a balcony, I don't highly recommend it. There is something in the bathroom that the smoke will go out of but it's not a fan or anything so I don't know how it works. Not very well, actually.

If you're really sensitive, getting a suite with a balcony might be a good idea so you can both enjoy your cruise. It's usually a long walk from the cabins to a smoking area on the ship.

My biggest hope is that within the next few months, I won't have to worry about it any longer. 5th attempt at quitting is coming up!

Good luck with quitting!! My Dh husband quit six months ago after smoking for 45 years, and was up to three packs a day! He went about six months ago and had the laser treatment after several people we know had been. He left there and never picked up another one, and has never had the cravings!:) I am so thankful!! Good luck!!

I have heard of people going back to smoking after this length of time and I am hoping that after that length of time, the last thing you think about is a cigarette. Carol

My dad hadn't smoked for 30 years and still had the urge. My DH quit smoking about 20 years years ago and still reaches for a smoke when he's had too many beers! Lucky him.....he can have one and not touch them again for many months. Wish I could do that.

Good luck with quitting!! My Dh husband quit six months ago after smoking for 45 years' date=' and was up to three packs a day! He went about six months ago and had the laser treatment after several people we know had been. He left there and never picked up another one, and has never had the cravings!:) I am so thankful!! Good luck!![/quote']

I have the the Chantix but have not started using it yet.

Drew's Wife I would be interested in the laser treatment. I have never heard of that. Where can I look for more info? I am a big laser fan. I had the laser surgery on my eyes 3 years ago and no more glasses for me. My dog had laser treatment after hip surgery and she runs around like a puppy now.

I had a picture in my mind that included quiet solitude and fresh sea air.

Reality stomps in and now I realize that I may have second hand smoke and loud neighbors. :(

Actually, you will probably have more problem with loud neighbors than smokers onthe Balcony.

If you do, just talk to them and work out a deal, usually everyone is pretty nice about it.

I am a smoker and my husband is not. A couple of times we got rooms with ocean views and there was no way to open the windows. The ventilation system in the cabins are not the best. The last cruise we went on we got a balcony but I didn't want to smoke out there because I was concerned that it would stink up the room. The smoke bothers my husband so I just went outside to smoke, just like I do at home. :rolleyes:

Lezlee, I'm sorry for butting in! But wanted say, if you haven't tried Chantix, do it!! It has so far worked for me, and both my parents... it's good stuff and worth the money so far!! I wish you luck! We have all quit before, for anywhere from 3-7 years, and know how tough it is!! It's tough, but you can do it!!! Good luck!

That's good to hear, Chris! I was wanting to know how you were doing with the Chantix. I have a prescription for it in the drawer and will fill it when my mind is in the right place and it's the right time. My Dr. gave it to me when I wasn't even thinking about it.

Thanks for all the well-wishes - and not meaning to hijack the thread but this is a struggle for a lot of us. Most of us don't want to be a bother to anyone - our balcony neighbors or our spouses.

I am bound and determined to be smoke free before we head to Europe in September. It probably sounds silly to most but the thought of flying for 10 hours in nicotine withdrawal (again) just freaks me out let alone the inconvenience of finding a place to smoke on tours etc. I just refuse to do that again! Vacations (particularly cruises) have been the times that I've started smoking again but I'm not giving that up!

They say the average smoker quits 7 times before they are successful so I'm due. I know from previous attempts I am an all-or-nothing person (can't have just 1 when I'm drinking) and I know patches, gum etc. don't work for me. Gee....now that I KNOW myself so well, this just might work! LOL :D

That's good to hear, Chris! I was wanting to know how you were doing with the Chantix. I have a prescription for it in the drawer and will fill it when my mind is in the right place and it's the right time. My Dr. gave it to me when I wasn't even thinking about it.

Thanks for all the well-wishes - and not meaning to hijack the thread but this is a struggle for a lot of us. Most of us don't want to be a bother to anyone - our balcony neighbors or our spouses.

I am bound and determined to be smoke free before we head to Europe in September. It probably sounds silly to most but the thought of flying for 10 hours in nicotine withdrawal (again) just freaks me out let alone the inconvenience of finding a place to smoke on tours etc. I just refuse to do that again! Vacations (particularly cruises) have been the times that I've started smoking again but I'm not giving that up!

They say the average smoker quits 7 times before they are successful so I'm due. I know from previous attempts I am an all-or-nothing person (can't have just 1 when I'm drinking) and I know patches, gum etc. don't work for me. Gee....now that I KNOW myself so well, this just might work! LOL :D

LOL Lezlee, I was a smoker when we flew to Sydney.... on the way back I had to have a patch, valium, vodka, etc, LMAO! I feel your pain! You can do it!! One thing I would suggest, that I think helped us... instead of just taking the Chantix for one week and then quitting, take it for 2 weeks... by the end of 2 weeks, smoking will actually nauseate you, and they will taste horrible... I wasn't feeling that after the first week. My mother was actually ready to quit a few days before the end of 2 weeks... so give it the extra time. That 2 weeks helps you prepare, and you will find yourself wanting less and less. I won't lie, I get pangs and cravings, but NOTHING like when I quit with just the patch or cold turkey... they go away SO quick and it's like my brain has "forgotten" how good they made me feel. It's a wonder drug!!!! I wish you luck, email me if you need any help, support, motivation, etc!!!

Wow! I THINK this will be my 7th REAL attempt!!!! I'd have to go back and count, but I think it is! That is hopeful, LOL!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well on the Chantix, Chris! I have a friend who just quit using it and also says it's great. My Dr. mentioned it to me so I may have to go ahead and try it. I've been nervous about the drug route since I had a bad reaction to Zyban a few years ago. But this one's supposed to work differently. Any side effects you've noticed from the medication?

Like many others here I've quit many times, lasted 7 months last year and picked it up again like an idiot. Been through patches, gum, lozenges, cold turkey, you-name-it. Hope to be smoke free by the next cruise.

Actually, you will probably have more problem with loud neighbors than smokers onthe Balcony.

If you do, just talk to them and work out a deal, usually everyone is pretty nice about it.

The one time I actually got a balcony, the only smoke that bothered me was from the crew. We were on the side of the ship where they smoked during their breaks. Since it was Alaska and we were in port a lot, I bought 2 little battery operated fans (the little personal size) and used them to simply redirect the smoke. problem solved...if I ever get a balcony again...I have them ready!

Well, It's 24 hours since I began this thread and we have decided to get a category 11 suite with balcony. Although, when I spoke to my husband about his choices, he said he wouldn't mind taking a walk whenever he wanted a cigarette, we both decided that it would just be nicer to be able to get some fresh air into the room and hear the ocean at night.

Thank you all for input. I'm glad that I was made aware of the proximity of neiboring balconies and how we could effect one another! Also, happy that so many joined in the "quitting smoking" vein of this thread. It looks like there may be some new help out there for those who want to quit!

Jane

I have actually suggested to Carnival that they need to have Oreck Air Units available for those who would like to smoke in their cabin. They are not very big and work really well in small spaces. It would be neat if Carnival made these available for a refundable deposit. I suggested this as a fix for those who open their cabin doors to "air out" their rooms (because not even smokers want to sit in their own waste) but unfortunately, fogged up the hallways in the process.

If Oreck would produce a "personal size" , I would be tempted to take one with me!!

Sharper Image makes their Ionic Breeze air filters in a "bathroom" model. I don't know if they work, but they're about the size of a night light.

I have the the Chantix but have not started using it yet.

Drew's Wife I would be interested in the laser treatment. I have never heard of that. Where can I look for more info? I am a big laser fan. I had the laser surgery on my eyes 3 years ago and no more glasses for me. My dog had laser treatment after hip surgery and she runs around like a puppy now.

This is a cold laser treatment. I can't tell you how it works except that it is similar to accupuncture without the needles! We know several people that have had the procedure and so far none of them have gone back to smoking. The first couple of days were rough for Drew, but he is a big coffee drinker and I don't think that helped any! It wasn't that he was craving the nicotine so much as he just needed something in his hands. Got to where he would carry a pencil around. I kind of keep a watch to make sure he doesn't fire that pencil up sometime!:) But seriously he has been amazing with this. Not sure where you are in Tn, but looks like Shelby County. I could probably direct you to someplace in the Nashville area, but I'm sure there are several in Memphis. How exciting about your eye surgery! That is something I would love to do someday. I have worn glasses since I was two years old, and don't get out of bed before I put them on! Keep saying I am going to have that done so that I don't have to wear glasses or contacts.

I'm a smoker but am extremely sensitive to non-smokers. Most of my friends and family are non-smokers and I'm used to going off by myself and OUTSIDE to smoke. On ship, I will smoke in a bar on in designated smoking areas but even then, try to get as far away as I can from those not smoking. As a smoker, I don't even like to smell smoke while I'm eating so I never smoke where food is served. And, I don't want to sleep in a room that even faintly smells like smoke! My suggestion to smokers is to try to control the habit enough to limit yourself to a few a day, walk up to a deserted smoking area (late nights are usually nice and quiet on Lido) or a quiet bar. I also find I like the "quiet" time afforded me as the lone smoker in a group! It's a good excuse to get off by yourself and have a few moments to yourself!

My dad hadn't smoked for 30 years and still had the urge. My DH quit smoking about 20 years years ago and still reaches for a smoke when he's had too many beers! Lucky him.....he can have one and not touch them again for many months. Wish I could do that.

Yes that is another type of smoker, I do not understand. I worked with a woman, who picked me up for work. We had coffee and a smoke before heading off to work. She never smoked once she was at work. Now I can never do anything in moderation, so I would head downstairs on every break. I always would wonder how she could go the rest of the day without the urge to smoke.

Carol

Archived