Attire for Captain's party

C-foxatsea

Hi Here's a copy of an email I received from Carnival & my personal travel planner today! Hope this helps!

What to WearWorried about what to wear on your upcoming cruise? Well don’t be. It's your vacation!

We’ve outlined everything you’ll need to look your best and feel even better.

Casual: Now's the time to sport your Tropical shirt, colorful bathing suit and your cool sunglasses. Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. This includes, but not limited to: Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers and a pair of good walking shoes. Oh! Don't forget your sunscreen and hat.

You might also want to bring a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. The Lido Restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Formal: You'll have a chance to dress up and meet the Captain! -- tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit; etc -- on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner.

Casual Resort Wear, including: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit and Capri pants are acceptable in the Dining Room every other night. Please note that shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Thanks again for choosing Carnival. We look forward to having you on board. If you have any questions about attire or anything else,

please contact your

I just returned off of an eight day cruise on the Carnival Pride yesterday. 4/08/07. Here is my observations on this topic.

The dress for the Captains Reception was far from formal. If people chose not to adhere to guidelines, nothing was done about it and that was dissapointing. It is a part of the Formal Evening as you immediately attend the Formal dinner afterwords. I saw some in tuxedos, military dress, a couple in Scottish Kilts, some in sport coats, some in shirt and tie, some in a dress shirt and one couple completely dressed down. The man had an untucked shirt with a tshirt hanging out underneath. he looked as if he had just got done cleaning out his garage. He and his family were poorly behaved as well. There was a very nice moment during the Captains Party when there was a nice romantic, slow dance on stage for the couples attending. The lights, orchestra and setting was gorgeous. this slob whom I mentioned earlier had his kids on stage running all over, darting between couples and practicing baseball slides. People like this guy and his family are inconsiderate slobs and Carnival should not allow them to ruin the event for others. I guess if one has no respect for the guidelines surrounding the dress code that they probably do not respect the others at the event. IN this case, the poorest dressed was also the poorest behaved.

The dining room also had its share of folks who "underdressed" and it was the same people who yelled and hooted, drank too much and acted inappropriately. Not everybody in the room cares to share in your party Folks....sorry. As of yesterday, the Carnival Pride does have guidelines for dress, but does absolutely nothing to correct those who dress and behave like idiots. In the case of this cruise, they were one and the same.

I just returned off of an eight day cruise on the Carnival Pride yesterday. nothing was done about it and that was dissapointing. It is a part of the Formal Evening as you immediately attend the Formal dinner afterwords kids on stage running all over,

I hope you addressed this problem on your comment card, if not contacting Carnival my be a good idea. The more people who complain about "nothing being done" about most problems, the more likely Carnival will start listening and do something about it.

Our Last Cruise, the dress code was enforced!

I hope you addressed this problem on your comment card, if not contacting Carnival my be a good idea. The more people who complain about "nothing being done" about most problems, the more likely Carnival will start listening and do something about it.

Our Last Cruise, the dress code was enforced!

I did. I was not so much bummed out that slobs were there, but the behavior of the slobs was just a bit much. Baseball slides on the dance floor was a bit too much for my bride and I. I had to be snobby, but I was looking forward to the "elegant vibe" and a classy event. There really is no enforcement of dress codes anywhere as far as I can tell..not on the Pride anyway.

I have decided to start my own protest against the dress code not being enforced. From now on if I feel the the Maitre D has not done his job of enforcing the dress code then instead of the tip I usually give there will be a note stating that I felt he did not earn a tip because he did not provide the service his job requires. It is his responsibility to enforce the dress code and I am not going to continue to tip anyone who does not accomplish even the most basic aspects of their job. Maybe if they realize that iqnoring the dress code will come off their bottom line they might start enforcing it.

On the other hand if the Maitre D does his job I will include a very nice note thanking him for making my cruise experience more memorable and also a very large tip.

I am not saying that everyone has to be dressed in a tux and gown (although my teen boys own their own tux and my daughter usually gets a new gown for each cruise). We love to dress up. At Walmart you can buy a nice pair of dress pants,shirt and tie for about 25 dollars. A skirt and top would cost about the same. This attire would be fine for formal night if that is as dressed as you would like to get. At least it shows that you cared enough to try to follow the captain's requested attire.

This might not make a difference but at least I know the Maitre D will see my note because he will open the envelope expecting a tip. I will also note my response on the comment cards for all 7 of my platinum family. Anyway I will feel better in the end with my little protest. Cindy

You could probably "get away" with just about anything you want. But why would you want to when you're going to stand out like an Amish person at Best Buy.

ROFLMAO...

I need paper towels LOL.

There is a time and a place for everything. The Captain's Cocktail party is on formal night for a reason. You should dress "appropriately" in my own opinion. That is not to say you have to be decked out in diamonds, pearls and a full length gown. As others have mentioned, it is respect for the Captain, officers and the event. If the Capt. showed up in cut offs and a t-shirt that had "I brake for balcony jumpers" on the front, he would seem out of place too :D

I agree. For 28 years I wore a suit to work each day. After I retired from that career I kind of missed dressing up. Even at church you seldom see a suit anymore. I have several nice suits and only get to wear them on our cruises and the occassional wedding and funeral. Really bugs me to go to a wedding or funeral and see someone in jeans. Everyone would probably have a cow if they went to the Captains reception and the Captain wore a pair of bermuda shorts and t shirt.

I will include a very nice note thanking him for making my cruise experience more memorable and also a very large tip.

This might not make a difference but at least I know the Maitre D will see my note because he will open the envelope expecting a tip.

Cindy, it wll make a difference if of people follow your lead,

I think it's a plan:)

Archived