Attire for Captain's party

C-foxatsea

My friend and I are about to set sail on our first cruise on 4-23 (the Fascination). We wondered about what type of attire is expected to attend the Captain's Party? Is it formal, or can you get away with casual wear???

My friend and I are about to set sail on our first cruise on 4-23 (the Fascination). We wondered about what type of attire is expected to attend the Captain's Party? Is it formal, or can you get away with casual wear???

It will be on Formal night so after the party its dinner time, And you get to take a picture with that Capt as you go into the Theater.

I guess you can go in Casual wear and then change before dinner.

Fred

It is on the first formal night, just before each of the dinner seatings. If you went in casual wear (nothing says you can't)...I would guess that you might feel very out of place, because folks (the overwhelming majority) will be dressed up.

I agree ~ it's a formal party. Everyone is dressed in their formal attire for dinner that night. It's held right before dinner, so just get dressed up a little early and go enjoy the party, then head on in to dinner. Enjoy! :)

You could probably "get away" with just about anything you want. But why would you want to when you're going to stand out like an Amish person at Best Buy.

That evening, you'll see everything from full-length sequined gowns to church dresses. I usually wear a 'little black dress' w/pearls. Chic, and about as dressy as I care to be.:)

definitely FORMAL!!

We always see a few cruisers that wear casual clothes and I dont know if they felt uncomfortable or not but they did stick out from everyone else. They looked very out of place. Why go casual when you only have two nights to dress beautifully?

MY MOTTO: ID RATHER BE OVERDRESSED THAN UNDER!!! =)

You can "get away" with most anything, but if you go other than formally dressed, you're going to feel very underdressed and uncomfortable. Frankly, if I were the Captain, I'd be insulted, but that's not my job.

You can "get away" with most anything, but if you go other than formally dressed, you're going to feel very underdressed and uncomfortable. Frankly, if I were the Captain, I'd be insulted, but that's not my job.

I certainly think (and do) dress "appropiately" for the Captain's party & formal night, but I seriously doubt the Captain would be insulted if I chose not to. After all, it is just a job for him..he works for Carnival and his pay does not depend on how we dress. Also remember the Captain's party is for him to honor the guests of Carnival..not the other way around. We honor him and Carnival by choosing to cruise with them.

I certainly think (and do) dress "appropiately" for the Captain's party & formal night, but I seriously doubt the Captain would be insulted if I chose not to. After all, it is just a job for him..he works for Carnival and his pay does not depend on how we dress. Also remember the Captain's party is for him to honor the guests of Carnival..not the other way around. We honor him and Carnival by choosing to cruise with them.

Then you won't have a problem! ;)

Sure it's his job, but he didn't get to be Captain just by putting on that uniform. I think it's also a matter of mutual respect to show up dressed formally when it's right before formal dinner. I'm sure some people will not want to participate in formal night too, so there isn't a rule that says they have to dress up. Just seems like the right thing to do though if people are attending the party.

Then you won't have a problem! ;)

Sure it's his job, but he didn't get to be Captain just by putting on that uniform. I think it's also a matter of mutual respect to show up dressed formally when it's right before formal dinner. I'm sure some people will not want to participate in formal night too, so there isn't a rule that says they have to dress up. Just seems like the right thing to do though if people are attending the party.

I totally agree with you and did not mean to be negative toward you. It is a mutual thing...just trying to make the point that the intent of the "party" is to honor the passengers. The passengers should certainly show their appreciation of that honor by abiding by the "suggestions" for formal night attire. But if they don't ...the night goes on anyway.

They say formal but let me tell ya it is not like the black and white ball thats for sure or a fancy new years party. I was a first timer March 25th and shop for something for both Captains dinners and OVER SPENT. The men do not need a tux if you have a suit this is fine. Women alot wore black slaks and a nice blouse some had dresses on like what you would ware to Church or a nice dinner party few had on the glitter glitz dresses new year party type. We went early and I felt way over dressed and ran to our room and changed I also returned the gliter dress for 300.00 yesterday big waste of money. They make it sound like very dress up and it is not this way at all.

If you do reg night dinning men had on blue jeans or tan pants with a polo shirt or button up shirt no tie. Women had on slaks or summer type dresses.

Conquest nice dinner you pay for extra 30.00 per person thought this would be the dress up but no alot of men just had slaks on with a nice shirt my hubby was the only man in there with a nice black suit on and I just had a nice dress on you would go to work in or church.

It is nothing like people seem to think or say you need do not go over board trying tobuy clothes for this.

Conquest March 25 to April 1 2007

They say formal but let me tell ya it is not like the black and white ball thats for sure or a fancy new years party. I was a first timer March 25th and shop for something for both Captains dinners and OVER SPENT. The men do not need a tux if you have a suit this is fine. Women alot wore black slaks and a nice blouse some had dresses on like what you would ware to Church or a nice dinner party few had on the glitter glitz dresses new year party type. We went early and I felt way over dressed and ran to our room and changed I also returned the gliter dress for 300.00 yesterday big waste of money. They make it sound like very dress up and it is not this way at all.

If you do reg night dinning men had on blue jeans or tan pants with a polo shirt or button up shirt no tie. Women had on slaks or summer type dresses.

Conquest nice dinner you pay for extra 30.00 per person thought this would be the dress up but no alot of men just had slaks on with a nice shirt my hubby was the only man in there with a nice black suit on and I just had a nice dress on you would go to work in or church.

It is nothing like people seem to think or say you need do not go over board trying tobuy clothes for this.

Conquest March 25 to April 1 2007

Could not have been better said!

The only dress code on Carnival is for the dining room only, if you are not getting dressed up and eating in the buffet that night, you are still welcome to the party - it does not have a dress code. Most people will be dressed formally, whether you feel out of place or not, is mostly up to you...

You can be casual dress if that is what you want to wear. I wore a black dress and my husband wore a suit. We did not feel out of place at all. There were people with fancy gowns, military dress blues, tux, jeans, slacks, shirt and tie. A little bit of everything. We all were treated the same.

My husband wears a dark suit and I wear an evening gown. We have never felt overdressed. All of our cruises on Carnival have been seven days or more, and the majority of the other guests have been dressed in formal wear on the designated formal nights. Also, just an FYI, although it has been reported here several times recently that Carnival has changed the wording to formal attire "required", it did NOT say that in the Capers on our Legend cruise in December. It said "Suggested attire for this evening is Formal". It will be interesting to see what the Capers say on our upcoming cruise on the Triumph, but it won't matter, as we will all be wearing formal attire. HOWEVER, if others choose not to dress up, it will not bother me in the least, as I am not a member of the fashion police. :p

There is a time and a place for everything. The Captain's Cocktail party is on formal night for a reason. You should dress "appropriately" in my own opinion. That is not to say you have to be decked out in diamonds, pearls and a full length gown. As others have mentioned, it is respect for the Captain, officers and the event. If the Capt. showed up in cut offs and a t-shirt that had "I brake for balcony jumpers" on the front, he would seem out of place too :D

There may not be a rule requiring formal attire, but Capers from a December 2006 sailing on the Conquest call it a Captain's Welcome Aboard Formal Cocktail Party and say "Captain Rocco Lubrano cordially invites all guests to attend his formal cocktail party.

Archived