would there be a problem

earl_m

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I just came back from a cruise and one of our stops was Fort-de-France. I took French in jr high a loong time ago (I'm 38). I had little problem in the city with my limited French. A smile and the basic got me along fine.

I agree that the people were not warm, but why do we (Americans) expect everyone to grin in our faces? The people were polite and that's all I ask.

If fact, I like the fact that a no thanks worked fine when shopping. Unlike in Jamaica where the shop keepers where rude and pushy.

Hie.

We visited Fort-de France in April and we found people very nice and friendly. We dont speek any french but we walked all over the town and met only friendly people. We also went a bit outside the tourist centre and ended up in a local fruit market. We had not yet drawn any euros from the bank but the ladies there gave us fruits to taste and didnt want us to pay anything. I think this is a nice place to do some shopping too.

Unfortunately at the time we were there they were digging up the whole park in the city. When that is finished it will be an even more beautiful place. But we walked over to the channel and followed that for about 1 kilometre and there there are several beautiful spots too. It leads you up to the fish market and further up to the local fruit market. There was a botanical garden up there too but we couldnt find the entrance and at that time we had to look for an atm to take some euros to buy some drinks. The area around the cathedral is very beautiful! Unfortunately also the old library is being refurbished, but next time we will see it all.

I will definitely go back.

Hie.

We visited Fort-de France in April and we found people very nice and friendly. We dont speek any french but we walked all over the town and met only friendly people. We also went a bit outside the tourist centre and ended up in a local fruit market. We had not yet drawn any euros from the bank but the ladies there gave us fruits to taste and didnt want us to pay anything. I think this is a nice place to do some shopping too.

It's nice to hear someone else had such a great time in Martinique! We don't speak French either but found the people warm and inviting. However, we did study a few French words/phrases in advance and approached with a smile and Bon Jour. Some of the people smiled at our obviously terrible pronounciation but seemed really pleased that we tried.

But given the generally negative threads, I was starting to think they were just trying to sell us something :D

• 2 months later...

"Madame" (muh dam) means madam

"Monsieur" (Miss your) means sir

"Mademoiselle" (Mam wha sell) means miss.

"Oui" (wee) mean yes

"non" (no) means no

"S'il vous plait" (See voo play) means please

"Merci" (Mare-see) means thankyou.

"Bonjour" (bown zhure) means hello.

"Ciao" (chow) means goodbye.

"Combien de font"? (comb be en fon) means how much?

and, finally:

"Ou est le toilette?" (oo eh le twah let?) means Where is the bathroom?

What else do you need to know?

Bonus:

My favorite: "Avez-vous de rhum vieux?" ('ave eh voo de rum view?) ---Do you have Old Rum (for sale)?

"Madame" (muh dam) means madam

"Monsieur" (Miss your) means sir

"Mademoiselle" (Mam wha sell) means miss.

"Oui" (wee) mean yes

"non" (no) means no

"S'il vous plait" (See voo play) means please

"Merci" (Mare-see) means thankyou.

"Bonjour" (bown zhure) means hello.

"Ciao" (chow) means goodbye.

"Combien de font"? (comb be en fon) means how much?

and, finally:

"Ou est le toilette?" (oo eh le twah let?) means Where is the bathroom?

What else do you need to know?

Bonus:

My favorite: "Avez-vous de rhum vieux?" ('ave eh voo de rum view?) ---Do you have Old Rum (for sale)?

I do love your translation "Nopiratesplease" :D. I particularly love the "wee" pronunciation for "Oui" ! Moreover, you really seem to appreciate the Rhum Vieux, lol lol.

But let me suggest an easier translation of "how much" :

" How much is it ?" = "C'est combien ?" (say comb-be en)

The "combien en Franc" was used when French Franc was the currency. Now that it's euro it would be "Combien en Euro". But there's no use to specify the currency in your question so, "say comb-be en" is enough :).

bye

I do love your translation "Nopiratesplease" :D. I particularly love the "wee" pronunciation for "Oui" ! Moreover, you really seem to appreciate the Rhum Vieux, lol lol.

But let me suggest an easier translation of "how much" :

" How much is it ?" = "C'est combien ?" (say comb-be en)

The "combien en Franc" was used when French Franc was the currency. Now that it's euro it would be "Combien en Euro". But there's no use to specify the currency in your question so, "say comb-be en" is enough :).

bye

I'll take easier. I actually speak quite a bit more French than that--but if you know that much, they'll be very happy--Martinique may be France but it's STILL the Carib!

(Pas de problem, Homme!--No problem, Mon)

And the Rhum is....OO-lah-lah! None better, not even from Guadeloupe.

I'll take easier. I actually speak quite a bit more French than that--but if you know that much, they'll be very happy--Martinique may be France but it's STILL the Carib!

(Pas de problem, Homme!--No problem, Mon)

And the Rhum is....OO-lah-lah! None better, not even from Guadeloupe.

Of course Martinique is Caribbean ! (heureusement, ça a des avantages = fortunately, that's something good for the island).

And, yes, even in Guadeloupe, you won't find a rhum better than the Martinican one, because it's not an industrial one like the others (as you already know...). But, well, it's just a question of taste.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

However, we did study a few French words/phrases in advance

and approached with a smile and 'Bon Jour!'

Some of the people smiled at our obviously-terrible pronunciation

but seemed really pleased that we tried.

It makes their day!

It has been my experience that the French-speaking countries like it

that you at least TRY to speak their language.

Trying a little works wonders, you'll find it fun to try,

and if you did French in hi-school, it's amazing what comes back.

Buy a refresher Learn To Speak French book

or quick-and-easy French/English dictionary to refresh the old vocabulary!

Learn basics like Combien?(How much?) Merci(thanks!)

S'il vous plait(please) -that's see-voo-pleh to you..

Oui(yes) whee ...often pronounced more like wheh in the French islands

much like how we'll say Yeah,

rather than the more correct and formal Yes...

- that's really cool and they realize...hmmm. this tourist is okay!

Also.. Non(No) - not to mention the standard greeting Bon Jour(Hello/Good day)

and..lentement,s'il vous plait(Slowly,please) for the rapid vocal response you'll receive,

or better yet ask them to write it down

and be ready for some funny looking numerals

looking only vaguely like "ours"

- it's a whole different world, Bubba!

Archived