QM2 Review Returned 5/10

LouChamp

Hello fellow CC friends.
We were a party celebrating my parents 50th anniversary. Selected QM2 rather than a catering hall. We were collectively not disappointed.
The ship exceeded our expectations. Staff was friendly, no long lines, no chaos. A few comments based my observations:
TODD ENGLISH - Not to be missed. Worth the price especially if you have been to NY and visted Olives.
LOUNGES - Enjoyable. Fine service with a smile.
STATEROOMS - Some family members had hull-holes on 6 Deck, others had the regular "see-thru" on 11 Deck. All were keep spotless by staff who were invisible and professional.
KING's COURT - Great. Lines existed but they were minimal and insignificant. Never had a problem finding a seat. La Piazza served 24 hours and it was a pleasure to get up early, stroll around 7 deck promenade in the cold(!)
and then have a cup of coffee waiting for the rest of the family to arise. Soft, low music played in the background. Truly relaxing.
CANYON RANCH - Beautiful.
PLANETARIUM - Great show. 25 minutes. Just the right amount of time.
ENTERTAINMENT - Good. The orchestra pit rising at the end of the show maade me feel like I was at Radio City Music Hall!
BOOKSTORE/LIBRARY - Really Nice. Sigend the CC log.
BRITANNIA RESTAURANT - We had several large tables. Food was very good. Service was inconsistent. All staff were pleasant, very professional including one waiter who was exceptional with a 6yr old cousing along with us.
One table received verrrrrrryyy s - l - o -w
service and we could not figure it out. All in all the staff was fine. Wine Steward gave great suggestions and his choices were outstanding.
A FEW THINGS - The stairs in the Britannia were the cause of two people falling down them during our cruise. I would suggest that you look at the stairs, admire them but don't use them!
Boardwalk Cafe - A weird location and just plain weird. I Think (like the QE2) Cunard will re-evaluate this area and make some improvements.
Logo Shop - They should have made this bigger.
Logo items were flying out of there like a super sale at Bloomingdales!!! They could charge 25% more and get it! Other shops were wonderful.
This is not the ship for those who want to be held by the hand and engage in major activities all day long. Rather, it is peaceful, quiet and with an upscale, professional atmosphere. Our fellow passengers were dressed well and minded the dress code. I would sail again after I have completed my next round of various cruises already in the pipeline.
My parents (the anniversary couple), stayed on for this weeke' Caribbean Cruise. They are seasoned cruisers and have sailed around the world. While demanding, they are not picky and
reall go with the flow. I will provide you with a summary of their experiences when thye return so as to see if the product is consistent and if the longer cruise is different then our 3 night cruise to nowhere.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
All the Best!!!

30+ Cruises and Counting
Queen Mary 2 - May 2004
Pride of Aloha - August 2004
Caribbean Princess - February 2005

Hey LouChamp,

I enjoyed reading your review of the Mother's Day QM2 Cruise. I'm curious as to where this trip to nowhere sailed. I'll be travelling on the July 4th Weekend QM2 Cruise to nowhere. Did you folks sail a few hundred miles out into the Atlantic Ocean and back or around the Long Island coast? Could you see land at any time or just the sea?

I can't wait for this trip. There's nothing more beautiful than sitting on the promenade deck of a grand oceanliner and staring out at that vast horizon of sky and sea.

Thanks in advance Lou and welcome home!

Cruiserking

7/1 Queen Mary 2 Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;21;18;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Till 12/21 QE2 Caribbean Holiday Cruise

We sailed south past Virginia and I believe went as far south as almost Cape Hateras. I think they Commodore did so as to bring us good weather and calm seas. Sunday was foggy but the seas were calm for the most part.

30+ Cruises and Counting
Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Thank you for your review. Glad you had a great time. Was second seating dinner 1/2 hr. late every evening? How were people dressed on the formal night? Thank you for your answers. We are going on the 7/1 sailing too.

Helane [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

40+ Cruises
QM2 7/1/04

2nd seating was 1/2 our late the first night and pretty much on time the other 2 nights.
During the day people were smart casual and during the evening suits or sports jackets and saturday night many were in tuxes with few gowns for the ladies. Only noticed one gentlemen in kilts. Please feel free to ask Q's as I alwasy enjoy helping my fellow cc's!!!
All the Best [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

30+ Cruises and Counting
Queen Mary 2 - May 2004

Archived