Mobile, AL? What's there to do?

northerner

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Mobile Alabama. In October Carnival starts this as a port for Holiday. Is this a new port all together? We are very excited to see Mobile, but are wondering what is fun to do there? I know Cotton will miss Holiday, I hope they bring another nice ship to NOLA for you. [/FONT] [/SIZE] :) [SIZE=4]Any suggestions will be appreciated.[/SIZE][/COLOR] :D

[b][color=darkslategray]Hey Northerner. Did I hear my name called?:D [/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]Mobile is a lovely city, very historic. You could visit the world-famous Bellingrath Gardens & Home, Mobile Racetrack (love the greyhound racing), go for a river cruise on the Cotton Blossom. Indulge in some fantastic southern cuisine at some great restaurants. You could also go on a Bay City Tour, visit the USS Alabama. Oh, just so many things![/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]If you go to [url="http://www.mobile.org/"]http://www.mobile.org/[/url] , you can find all kinds of fun stuff to do. Order the Mobile Bay vacation guide book![/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]As far as the Holiday, I'm located about half way between N.O. and Mobile, so no prob.;) I WILL sail on her again. However, my next cruise will be on the Sensation (taking Holiday's place) out of N.O. - just to try something different. My son will be on the Holiday Nov.8 for his first cruise.[/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]I'm sure y'all would like Mobile. And yes, it's a new cruise port. Mobile Bay is very picturesque.[/color][/b]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=3][FONT=Fixedsys]Thanks Cotton, I knew that you were the one to ask about New Orleans but you surprised me and proved yourself an expert on Mobile. It sure does look beautiful. I was praying that it wouldn't turn out to be a industrial, overcrowded, scary port. My prayers were answered! Have fun on your cruise, I hope it can compare with the Holiday. Say, You have never taken your son on a cruise? How did you escape without him? I'm sure he'll love cruising and become addicted like the rest of us. Thanks again! You ROCK! Theresa[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] :)[/FONT]

Mobile is one of our favorite places to get away from Mobile. In addition to what Cotten said there is also great beaches less than an hour away in Gulf Shores and Point Clear , Alabama. There is also a huge factory outlet in Foley, Alabama, also less than an hour away. I havn't been lately but the Admiral Simmes (not sure if I spelled it right) use to be a great historic hotel right in the middle of everything. Also if you have kids they will get a kick out of going through a tunnel. My son loves to go to the U.S.S. Alabama. They can tour the ship and there is a museum with a motion simulator. There is also alot of Mardi Gras activity at that time of the year. They claim they actually started Mardi Gras .

richelle

[b][color=darkslategray]Northerner - I get around!:D :D :D About my son, he has never shown an interest in cruising - not until one of his girlfriends asked him if he'd like to go.:rolleyes: My children (now adults) never wanted to go in the earlier years that I cruised. [/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]Rhecker - The very first Mardi Gras celebration WAS held in Mobile! They still have a great Mardi Gras season - just not as well known as N.O.[/color][/b]
[b][color=#2f4f4f]....and the tunnel - I had forgotten to mention the tunnel. When my children were young, we had a small beach house in Gulf Shores - well, Orange Beach, and we went quite often. They LOVED going thru the tunnel![/color][/b]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Georgia] :) Cotton, I like her already, your son's girlfriend that is. :) She sounds like a keeper, well, at least she has class. I don't know if I'll ever say a gal my son brings home is a keeper, but encouraging him to cruise would be a start. Thanks again for your web site and information. The site gives you maps, attractions, hotels, tours and the like.

:) rhecter, Thanks for all the great information Richelle. Have you been to the outlet mall? Is it full of good deals? Or overpriced? What does the tunnel go under? How big is it? My DH doesn't remember a tunnel of any sig. size in Mobile.

:) The USS Alabama is seasonal, and not open in the winter months. Darn, that would have been a must see. The WWII submarine would have been very cool too.

I do really appreciate the input. My husband was stationed in Keesler, Mississippi(sp?) He said when he was there it was the murder capitol of the world. Needless to say I was a little nervous. But Detroit used to be the capitol at one or two points, and I love to go there, so I never let the nickname stop me. I'll be sure to include a nice reveiw odf Mobile when I come back from my Cruise. :)

[/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Northerner:

It's been awhile since I've been to the outlet but it is huge and the prices were good. Two of dh least favorite things to do is hang out on the beach and go shopping so we don't go anymore. Oh well.

The tunnel i believe goes under Mobile Bay. It is between Mobile and the U.S.S. Alabama. I didn't realize the ship was closed in the winter. I guess it has always been summer.

Cotten:

I know Mobile started it but we here in New orleans like to have selective memory. We really perfected it and then some

rhecker

[quote name='northerner
:) The USS Alabama is seasonal, and not open in the winter months. Darn, that would have been a must see. The WWII submarine would have been very cool too.QUOTE']

Wow! That must be something pretty recent. I know I was there in January in . . . well, now that I think about it, it was 1994---ten years ago!

Did you know that N.W. Florida is only about 45 minutes east of Mobile? Come across the state line and spend some time in Pensacola! We have a fantastic Naval Aviation Museum. One I never tire of visiting..have been there many times. Also, we have some of the most beautiful beaches here too ... Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key. :)

[font=Arial Black][size=3][color=blue]Try this link to the U.S.S. Alabama. I have done many overnighters there during winter months w/ the BSA.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Arial Black][size=3][color=#0000ff][/color][/size][/font]
[url="http://www.ussalabama.com/"]http://www.ussalabama.com/[/url]

[quote name='rhecker'] Cotten:
I know Mobile started it but we here in New orleans like to have selective memory. We really perfected it and then some.rhecker[/QUOTE][b][color=darkslategray]Hey, I'm a native New Orleanian, too, and I totally agree....N.O. took the proverbial Mardi Gras ball and ran with it! I mean, very few folks know it was originated in Mobile - all they think of is The Big Easy at Mardi Gras time! (I like that.);) [/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f]Yes, the tunnel goes under Mobile Bay. [/color][/b]

[b][color=#2f4f4f][u]Northerner [/u]- About Keesler AFB, Biloxi.....it must've been a LONG time ago that your DH was stationed there. Back in it's heyday (many moons ago), Biloxi had a really raunchy reputation. Illegal booze & gambling, girls-girls-girls, [i]you name it[/i], and yes, murder. It's been cleaned up ... 90%.:rolleyes: [/color][/b]

[quote name='Brneyznfl']Did you know that N.W. Florida is only about 45 minutes east of Mobile? Come across the state line and spend some time in Pensacola! We have a fantastic Naval Aviation Museum. One I never tire of visiting..have been there many times. Also, we have some of the most beautiful beaches here too ... Pensacola Beach and Perdido Key. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, the naval aviation museum is wonderful. A visit to Fort Barrancas (sp?) is nice too on the base. I'm trying to remember the name of a restaurant in Perdido Key just after you cross the bridge...Perdido Pass? Anway, good food!

[b][color=darkslategray]Kelly - How right you are! That restaurant (you take an elevator upstairs, right?) is my favorite in the whole area...has the BEST soft-shell crabs I've ever had in my life! Wonderful place for a meal.:) [/color][/b]

[quote name='Cotton'][b][color=darkslategray]Kelly - How right you are! That restaurant (you take an elevator upstairs, right?) is my favorite in the whole area...has the BEST soft-shell crabs I've ever had in my life! Wonderful place for a meal.:) [/color][/b][/QUOTE]

I don't remember an elevator but the last time I was there about 4 years ago so I might be very forgetful. I just remember that we stayed at the Best Western Perdido Key and to get to the restaurant we turned left out of the hotel, drove down the highway like we were going to Orange Beach, crossed a bridge at one point and the restaurant was basically at the foot of the bridge on the right.

That's bad when I can remember that much detail but can't remember for sure the name of the restaurant, huh? :D

[quote name='spence731cruise']I heard the USS Alabama is cool.[/QUOTE]

The USS Alabama was used for the external shots in the movie "Under Siege". It was pretty cool knowing that to be walking around on it and then go back home and watch the movie again and remember being on it. The last time we were there, my DH had me up in a turrett or whatever it was called saying "remember in the movie when......well this is where". Pretty neat.

If I remember right, there was a signed picture of Steven Segal somewhere on the ship but I can't remember where it was.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode] :o My BAD, sorry everyone! The USS Alabama is open year around. I am not sure how I managed to mess it up, I went to the site, and I must have had a mental moment, because I'm not sure why I figured they weren't open. YEA! it is a must see! And a trip to Pensicola may be on the agenda, if I can drag my husband away from his old stomping grounds in Keisler Mississippi.

Thank you for all the great posts! This board has the best members on planet Earth![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] :D

Archived