Wine Question

Arlenedow

Hi,

[COLOR=red]Arlenedow:[/COLOR] No wine in the Port of Miami, but as other poster said, there are abundant Walgreen's and CVS's in Miami and everyone we saw had beer and wine.

We just returned from the April 16-21 sailing on the Century and carried on 2 bottles with no comment.

[COLOR=red]CuriousCat:[/COLOR] Yes, to sommeliers on the Century...very attentive and visible in the dining room and in Murano. We found them very willing to help us find the bargains on the wine list and had some great wine. However, in Murano, he tried to persuade us to try a dessert wine, that sounded great! Then my DH asked how much (I was kind of embarrassed he was asking...I mean, how much could it be, per glass???) and it was $90 a GLASS! Whew, glad we asked! So, beware!

[COLOR=red]Spengle:[/COLOR] We carried on reasonably priced wine that we wouldn't be distaught if it got confiscated and we had to throw it out, because we wouldn't be able to fly it home. But, we had no trouble boarding with it and enjoyed a glass while dressing for dinner at night. This was a short cruise, so two bottles was plenty for our in-room purposes, but for a longer sailing, I think we would each carry 2 bottles in our carry-on and board a few people apart...so it wouldn't be obvious that we were planning more than 2 bottles in one cabin (horrors!). I really think that now that spring break is over, hopefully security will lighten up and treat adults with respect.

Finally, when we sailed in the Medit. on the Millie last summer, we bought wine in several ports (never more than 2 bottles a person) and carried it back on the ship...along with some beer/water bottles/diet coke sometimes and they never said a word. Go figure!

Happy sailing,

Lynne

Re: pool area, not a great idea to bring wine bottles and glasses even if it were not frowned upon. If you want to drink your wine near the pool, why not fill plastic glasses in your stateroom and carry them to the pool area. In the sun I would tend to order a G&T, beer or daily drink special and have it served to me.

Cheers and Beers, Bill[/quote]

I agree, and do exactly the same thing. I just wanted to know. We had Concierge Class once, and I presumed (never thought to ask!) that a bottle of wine on deck was not permitted. So thought I would ask now.:) By the way, now that I think of it, that bottle of wine stayed in the cabin for several days before we just decided to drink it, in plastic glasses, by the pool -- and that, simply because it was there. As I write this, I realize that we actually don't care if we have a bottle of wine in the room!

• 2 months later...
No problem bringing on 2 bottles of wine but didn't take them to the dining room so don't know about corkage fees. We found that they must be making less money because more people were just ordering a glass of wine with dinner. Even at $10 glass the revenue is less than the corkage fee. We don't drink very expensive wine so I don't much like the idea of $10-15 wine costing $35-$40 with the corkage fee. We will likely order the less expensive wines on the menu on a longer cruise and, therefore, avoid the corkage fee.

I know that those with a more educated pallete may feel differently and that's fine with me.:)

[quote name='spengle']No problem bringing on 2 bottles of wine but didn't take them to the dining room so don't know about corkage fees. We found that they must be making less money because more people were just ordering a glass of wine with dinner. Even at $10 glass the revenue is less than the corkage fee. We don't drink very expensive wine so I don't much like the idea of $10-15 wine costing $35-$40 with the corkage fee. We will likely order the less expensive wines on the menu on a longer cruise and, therefore, avoid the corkage fee.

I know that those with a more educated pallete may feel differently and that's fine with me.:)[/quote]

Ditto!!! :)

Archived