Back From April 1-8 Pride

dalai

I'm not really one to write long reviews, however, I have gotten a lot of helpful information from these boards and I'd like to give back. I just returned from a great cruise on the Pride from April 1-8. Happy to take specific questions from anyone looking forward to this cruise.

We were a group of 12 - grandparents, parents & 5 small boys ages 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 so I can easily comment on kid/family issues as well.

Hi,

We are going to be on the Pride in June. I have a few questions. What time was your dinner at and did you like that time...We have late seating and have never had that before. Another question is on what level was your room and was it a balcony, inside or OV? Also what if any excursions did you do? Thanks for any info that you can give me...

We had the early seating because of the little boys. I've done early seating on my previous two cruises for the same reason.

However, my wife and I agreed that we are done with the early seating - even though it may mean feeding the kids and than putting them into kids club (they can't wait until 8ish to eat)

The reason is that the day is just too compressed with a 5:45 pm seating for dinner. Especially on formal nights where an appropriate amount of grooming & primping for certain parties would need to start shortly after 4pm. Another factor - This time of year the space between the end of dinner and sunset was very short. This could change, of course, during the year to where late seating is actually less convenient for sunsets.

Other benefits of late seating:

1) Can partake in 3:30 pm tea and not worry about spoiling appetite. For that matter - can eat lunch at a reasonable hour and not ruin your 5:45 dinner appetite.

2) Can stay in ports later without missing seating.

3) More adults/fewer tykes in the dining room if you are sans kids

4) The dining staff gets a dress rehearsal before you come in. ;)

I think you'll be quite happy.

On Service:

I have cruised 4 times - QE2 in my childhood, QM2 from Long Beach, Disney 4 Day, & Pride. Of course, nothing comes close to my childhood memories of the QE2 - but that was 1980 and I was a wide-eyed 12 year old. Potentially romanticizing everything but I still remember my waiters' names and all the funny stuff they did for us. Overall, all of my expectations were slightly bettered on this cruise. Our Steward was remarkable and our waiters were aces - not easy taking care of a table of hooligan toddlers. This is not a premium or luxury cruise line, of course, so your expectations have to be in check, but the staff was solid.

We were on the Empress Deck - 1 penthouse suite and 3 balconies down the hall. 6182. 6192. 6194. 6196. The rooms were not large - even the suite - but they were remarkably functional. All had great storage and well laid out. The pullman berths really made it work for us.

Our excursions consisted of my mother-in-law's time share in PV to use pool & beach, a stroll through downtown Cabo & a hastily arranged city tour at the dock of Mazatlan. Perhaps I won't be able to provide much info on that front. A friend on the cruise loved the dolphin encounter and water park at PV. Said the water park was very clean and great attractions.

HI there- We just celebrated our honeymoon and cruised the Pride 4/01-4/08. It was our first cruise so we can't give you a comparison.

We opted for the late seating and never looked back. This allows for an after noon nap, plenty of time to get ready, etc. We did do the Dolphin Swim, not the Dolphin Encounter. This one allows you to actually swim with them and spend quite a bit of time. It was absolutely remarkable. I loved it. Cabo and Mazatlan we did not do excursions. WE have been to both places. HIt me with any questions you have as well. The service on this ship is excellent, the facilities are clean and very pleasing to the eye. Pay not attention to the "Nudity Talk". Ifs all Rennassaince period art. I really did not notice it at all. I packed a ton of long and ahort sleeved shirts. Err on the side of short sleeves...you will not need many long sleeved but pack a couple in case...

I am a new CC member, but have been reading them for the last few weeks. I will be sailing on the Pride on June 22. Appreciate all the info you've shared! Can you tell me what nights are the formal nights on the Pride - is the first one Monday or Tuesday? I believe I read the 2nd one is on Thursday (after Cabo). Do you remember what some of the other theme nights were in the diningroom? Does anyone know if copies of the menus are posted online?

Dalai- We will be on the 4/22 sailing of pride with grandparents and son age 4 and daughter age 7. What were the boys favorite things to do on the ship? How did Camp Carnival go for them? Were there activities in Camp they liked more than others?

Glad to hear positive things about the dolphin/ water park. We are booked to do that too.

We are doing early seating. Without kids we love late seating for all the reasons you mentioned but my daughter loves eating in the dining room (took her on a 4 day last year) and the kids can't wait til 8pm.

I'm pretty sure 1st formal night is Monday- right? Did you eat at David's? How was it?

I'm not really one to write long reviews, however, I have gotten a lot of helpful information from these boards and I'd like to give back. I just returned from a great cruise on the Pride from April 1-8. Happy to take specific questions from anyone looking forward to this cruise.

We were a group of 12 - grandparents, parents & 5 small boys ages 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 so I can easily comment on kid/family issues as well.

I was wondering what nights were the formal nights, and what time does the ship go by? eastern, central, or what? - Thanks for your help

What type of a band did they have by the pool and how were they?

How was the Comedian and how many comedy shows did they have?

Did they have shows other than the Broadway type shows? Any tumblers or acrobats?

Did the Pride arrive in ports as scheduled?

I was wondering what nights were the formal nights, and what time does the ship go by? eastern, central, or what? - Thanks for your help

The formal nights are Monday night and Friday night. You have to set your clocks ahead 1 hour the first day and then set them back after Cabo, not sure what that's called, Mountain Time? But in Mexico they call that 1 hour ahead time 'Pacific Time' so it can be confusing.

All I saw by the pool was a Reggae Band. Very good if you like Reggae - which I do. They play in the middle pool (probably a more formal name but I never learned it) so if not your cup of tea you really can not hear them at the forward pool - which is quiet -- or the aft adult-only pool which sometimes has DJ/music over the speakers.

The Pride arrived at all ports on schedule.

I didn't see the comedian.

Dalai,

We are also staying on the Empress Deck, rooms 6112 and 6108, they are far forward. I was wondering did you feel more movement because you are up higher. We have stayed on the bottom (Riveria and Upper)and middle decks (Main) but have never been on the Empress Deck, but wanted a balcony this time. I am just concerned about the movement. What was on the deck directly above and below. Was their much noise. How about Children in the hallways. Much noise there. I appreciate all of your info...

Hi,

We are going to be on the Pride in June. I have a few questions. What time was your dinner at and did you like that time...We have late seating and have never had that before. Another question is on what level was your room and was it a balcony, inside or OV? Also what if any excursions did you do? Thanks for any info that you can give me...

Hi Karen,

I know you didn't ask me, but after your help on my thread (passport nightmare), consider this info as my thanks.

We did the 8:15 seating (and always have). We had time for naps, afternoon tea or sushi, and extra time for pictures on the formal nights (photography lines are extra busy those nights). We do like to eat later on vacation so 8:15 has always been our preference.

We were in cabin 7205 (we chose this cabin rather than chancing a guarantee) on the Verandah deck. It was an extended balcony which we really enjoyed. A couple of days it got quite windy and cool on deck, on our balcony we did feel the wind and the direct sun made it really hot. We really like the mid-ship location and the fact that it is in between passsenger decks.

Excursions - all private (it was our 5th cruise so we were comfortable on our own). In Puerto Vallarta we booked a zip line tour (Los Veranos) that was possibly the best excursion ever. We even saw a 70 something Grandma doing it. Highly recommend that. In Mazatlan we booked with Randi's Happy Horses via the internet. We were the only two booked so it was a private ride with one of Randi's guides. These horses aren't the stable variety - it was tough sometimes to get them to walk. Stopped at Victor's on the beach for beer and a shrimp lunch that was fabulous. In Cabo we did some souvenier shopping and then took a glass bottom boat to Lovers/Divorce Beach - would have liked more time there. Also stopped at a bar along the pier for beer and nachos and salsa. Would go back to Cabo in a heartbeat.

Hope you have a great time!!

Payd:)

Thanks Payd on your suggestions. In Mazatlan my DH and 2 sons are going deep sea fishing and I'm not sure what I'll be doing that day, maybe take a city tour since my youngest son 18, doesn't even want me to leave the ship while they are fishing... I figured if I booked through Carnival there'll probably other people with me. I was wondering if I should wait to book til I'm onboard, as I don't want to be the only one...Thanks again...

I don't think I responded to your first question. Camp Carnival didn't go as well as I would have hoped. Partly because of how crowded (our sailing probably more kids than yours from Spring Break) and partly because our 5 boys were separated into different clubs. When they were in the club they loved Tunnel time and were mad when it wasn't open. They also enjoyed the Pirate activities and the various opportunities for face painting. When they weren't in the club, they were very content to spend every waking hour in the forward pool & Jacuzzi, and that was fun for them and still relatively relaxing for us (they have good flotation vests).

Like you we were on the Empress Deck and it was a very smooth cruise, in general. We did not feel much movement. However, I could be wrong but my understanding is there will be more movement forward.

There was never any noise in our cabin and the deck is sandwiched in between other passenger decks, which is helpful. However, my mother-in-law did have a noisy neighbor who was partying. She received a letter of apology from the pursar and it only happened one night so she was fine with it.

I had one nephew who was under 2 and couldn't participate in Camp Carnival but for a few hours each port day. My next youngest was 3.5 but he was influenced by his older brother and cousins who didn't want too spend that much time in the club. That being said, I would think 2 is the perfect age for the club as they can't pretend that they're precocious pre-teens and will probably find the tunnel and the activities thrilling. As long as he/she is used to separating from mom/dad, I imagine it could go well for you. On port days they have a full schedule and will even watch the children while you go to port.

If I could do anything differently, I suppose I would have brought more mealtime activities for my littlest ones because they did end up eating with us on several occasions and it's hard to expect such a young child to enjoy the "dining" experience. More coloring. More quiet toys. Even portable video if your child is into Baby Einstein or Teletubbies or something.

We did eat at Davids. The food was good (in fact, the porterhouse was AMAZING), however, I found the energy to be a little low. Don't get me wrong, my wife and I had a nice time and nice break from the rest of the family, but the surcharge restaurant seemed a bit more of an event on the other ships I've sailed (QM2/Todd English & Disney Wonder/Palo). In fact, there were plenty of open tables and available reservations during our 7 day cruise.

I am a new CC member, but have been reading them for the last few weeks. I will be sailing on the Pride on June 22. Appreciate all the info you've shared! Can you tell me what nights are the formal nights on the Pride - is the first one Monday or Tuesday? I believe I read the 2nd one is on Thursday (after Cabo). Do you remember what some of the other theme nights were in the diningroom? Does anyone know if copies of the menus are posted online?

Eyeore...we sail the same time as you do...now, laugh with me...it leaves on June 17th....ok, just want to make sure you are on the boat!:)

Archived