Hawaii Long Flight American Airlines

marcyjane

This is by no means my first flight, but is the first for 8+ hours. My longest flight I guess was from Nashville to Seattle last year.

Flying out of Nashville, Tn, to Dallas then on to Honolulu and the type of plane is a 767 (763)

I don't what to appear this stupid, but this will be the first flight I've been on that will shows a Movie.

Was wondering if they have a big screen or are they like those small ones on buses every few seats.

Also just anything else that you can tell me about your long flight and keeping busy to pass the time besides sleeping and reading.

Thanks,

Marcy

This is by no means my first flight, but is the first for 8+ hours. My longest flight I guess was from Nashville to Seattle last year.

Flying out of Nashville, Tn, to Dallas then on to Honolulu and the type of plane is a 767 (763)

I don't what to appear this stupid, but this will be the first flight I've been on that will shows a Movie.

Was wondering if they have a big screen or are they like those small ones on buses every few seats.

Also just anything else that you can tell me about your long flight and keeping busy to pass the time besides sleeping and reading.

Thanks,

Marcy

Overhead video monitors. Rows 10,22,27,31,38 and 39

You will either have to purchase headphones or bring your own. Here is a link to seating and video description as well as movie listings. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_767-300.php

If you picked seats with a power port, you could take a portable DVD player for your own movies. IPod if you don't like AA's music. Laptop for games or movies. Other than that, reading, sleeping or tai chi (just kidding). Enjoy!!!

We did the Dallas to Honolulu itinerary. Our plane was full of folks on the same cruise - we all were talking and laughing, everyone excited about finally boarding the ship. My husband and I play cards to help pass the time. We watched the airlines' movie (maybe two of them?) as well as one of our own. My doctor did the same itinerary and told me she took an ambien just as she sat in her seat and woke up on Honolulu - missed the entire flight. Now that's the way to go!

We did the Dallas to Honolulu flight to catch a cruise 2 years ago........they actually were able to show 2 movies and serve a meal......it wasn't that bad.......but get up and move around from time to time when you can.......

Also a couple of other tips for American's 767's:

- all food on board is "for sale" only (in other words, eat before or bring your own food)

- avoid the middle seats in the middle section (seats E) as there is a box underneatht the seat which greatly restricts leg room

Hi Marcy! I'm chiming in because we're getting ready to fly AA to Honolulu too! It's our first long flight too.

I'm a puzzle fiend, so I'm bringing along a Games Magazine and World of Puzzles -- you can usually find them at the major book stores. Also do you like Sudoku? I can zone out on these for hours and not even realize the time passing by.

We're bringing our laptop for movies, and I'm also downloading TV shows on our Ipod. If you don't have a laptop or DVD player, you can rent one for your trip here:

http://www.inmotionpictures.com/

If you do bring your own player, I would suggest finding a TV series that you wished you watched but didn't -- we're going to start the "24" season 1, and "Curb Your Enthusiasm".

I'm sure the flight down there will be much more exciting than the flight home -- for that trip we're going to zonk out on Advil PM :D

Also a couple of other tips for American's 767's:

- all food on board is "for sale" only (in other words, eat before or bring your own food)

- avoid the middle seats in the middle section (seats E) as there is a box underneatht the seat which greatly restricts leg room

Does the advice about the food for sale apply if you are in first class? Are there any 1st class seats that you can caution me about?

Overhead video monitors. Rows 10,22,27,31,38 and 39

You will either have to purchase headphones or bring your own. Here is a link to seating and video description as well as movie listings. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_767-300.php

If you picked seats with a power port, you could take a portable DVD player for your own movies. IPod if you don't like AA's music. Laptop for games or movies. Other than that, reading, sleeping or tai chi (just kidding). Enjoy!!!

Greatam,

I have seats 11 h/j on a 767 300 AA flight coming back from Europe and I thought I had read somewhere that I might could be kicked out of these seats for disabled person. Should I move from seats now just in case or is that true?

Thx

Does the advice about the food for sale apply if you are in first class? Are there any 1st class seats that you can caution me about?

763 or 762??? Are you flying first class or business? What is your route?? If you are flying DFW/HNL, there is generally NO first class, only business. Either way you will you have food. Depending on time of flight, usually a full meal, but late evening flights often only have a snack.

Can't answer the seat question until you know which plane you are flying.

Greatam,

I have seats 11 h/j on a 767 300 AA flight coming back from Europe and I thought I had read somewhere that I might could be kicked out of these seats for disabled person. Should I move from seats now just in case or is that true?

Thx

Bulkhead rows are wheelchair accessible. I don't think 11 is a bulkhead row. I would have to check the seatmap for sure.

I think you are fine where you are. I like that little "private" cabin.

Your right Greatam 11 is one row back of the bulkhead row. I think I will stay put then. I'm like you, I prefer to be in that area also. Of course, 1st class wouldn't be bad either for an 11 hour flight. :)

Thanks again

763 or 762??? Are you flying first class or business? What is your route?? If you are flying DFW/HNL, there is generally NO first class, only business. Either way you will you have food. Depending on time of flight, usually a full meal, but late evening flights often only have a snack.

Let me add on that AA sells the business class seats on the 763's to HNL as first class seats. The seat configuration is business class, not lie flat. The seat pitch is business class, not first class. However, AA is reconfiguring their 763's to fully lie flat seats. You may get lucky and get one of the reconfigured planes.

I want to Thank all of you so much for your idea and suggestions. You have been so helpful.

As always cruise critic members have such wide knowledge of whatever you might ask.

Thanks again so much.

5 week from today I'll be on the plane, the plane. :)

Marcy

Does the advice about the food for sale apply if you are in first class?

:D No!

First Class on the DFW or ORD-HNL flights is pretty comfortable. The seats are the same as AA's international Business Class seats although they are sold as First Class domestically. They have 60" pitch and are very comfortable for a midhaul flight, I flew them a couple of weeks ago on SFO-HNL. As a bit of an aviation enthusiast I tend to document my travels, here are a couple of pics of the seat:

763cabinoc6.jpg

763cabin2xh5.jpg

Well worth paying up for First Class on these flights if you can get the 763. The 757 which also flies to HNL is less comfortable. 39" pitch, no legrest etc.

greatam, the 762 only operates on JFK-LAX/SFO (sold as 3 class) and JFK-MIA/BDA sold as 2 class. For a few months this summer there will be a 762 on IAD-LAX.

Thank you, here are the flights:

ORD - LAX...767

LAX - HNL... 757

HNL - DFW... 767

DFW - ORD.. MD80

I was really hoping for flights that reclined. A meal would be great, too. The itinerary does list meals, so I am assuming this is not for an added fee.(?)

ORD - LAX...767

LAX - HNL... 757

HNL - DFW... 767

DFW - ORD.. MD80

I was really hoping for flights that reclined. A meal would be great, too. The itinerary does list meals, so I am assuming this is not for an added fee.(?)

ORD-LAX will have a meal if it falls during regular breakfast/lunch/dinner hours.

LAX-HNL will be a three course meal, salad, then a main, then an ice cream based dessert.

HNL-DFW depends on the flight time but I presume overnight so you'll have an evening meal then a small (and most likely) continental breakfast

DFW-ORD will probably be a snack. MD-80s are pretty horrible, will smell like an old car and will be less comfortable ;)

Why not just got ORD-HNL? It'll be direct and you'll get the 763 on both flights. Can't see the need

:D No!

greatam, the 762 only operates on JFK-LAX/SFO (sold as 3 class) and JFK-MIA/BDA sold as 2 class. For a few months this summer there will be a 762 on IAD-LAX.

I fly LAX/JFK at least 6 times a year and only on the 762 red eyes, usually flight #30.

"Schubes" did not post what route he was flying. For all we know, it could have been JFK/HNL (flights 1 and 283) which would have been a 762 and 763.

ORD - LAX...767

LAX - HNL... 757

HNL - DFW... 767

DFW - ORD.. MD80

Can you change these flights? Looking at your itinerary, it would appear that this is an award ticket put together piecemeal. Really a shame you are paying for first class, then having to fly a 757 longhaul which doesn't have much more recline than coach.

If this is an award ticket, there are probably no seats on the nonstop. But you may be able to get flight 283 on a 763 or one of the flights through Maui to HNL.

The 763 to HNL will have considerable more recline than the 757. Please let us know if you can change your flights.

Can you change these flights? Looking at your itinerary, it would appear that this is an award ticket put together piecemeal. Really a shame you are paying for first class, then having to fly a 757 longhaul which doesn't have much more recline than coach.

If this is an award ticket, there are probably no seats on the nonstop. But you may be able to get flight 283 on a 763 or one of the flights through Maui to HNL.

The 763 to HNL will have considerable more recline than the 757. Please let us know if you can change your flights.

Yes these were late award tix... I was just checking the flights ORD - LAX portion of the outbound, only 757's available to connect with the flt #283 LAX - HNL (763). So it appears one leg or the other will be a 757 on my outbound.

Also in rechecking my flights, the 2 legs that are 767-300 are also classified as 763 (passenger)....not sure which type of aircraft these 2 flights are.

I am sure I cannot get the non-stop ORD - HNL there are few seats left. I wish I would have made my plans earlier.

Yes these were late award tix... I was just checking the flights ORD - LAX portion of the outbound, only 757's available to connect with the flt #283 LAX - HNL (763). So it appears one leg or the other will be a 757 on my outbound.

Also in rechecking my flights, the 2 legs that are 767-300 are also classified as 763 (passenger)....not sure which type of aircraft these 2 flights are.

I am sure I cannot get the non-stop ORD - HNL there are few seats left. I wish I would have made my plans earlier.

You will be fine on the 757 from ORD to LAX. That flight will be normal domestic first class service. Really try to change to flight #283 or even one of the Maui/HNL flights on the 763 if seats are available. Have to change planes in Maui, but the Maui/HNL flight is very short. And all Hawaii airports are very easy. Keep trying AA every two or three days for available seats. AA should not charge you anything so long as you fly the same day, same route.

767-300 is the same as 763 and 767-200 is the same as 762. Just different ways to designate the same plane.

We are flying Economy and our flight leaves DFW at 12:45pm and arrives Hawaii at 4:00pm. Flight time 8 hrs 15 min.

States one meal served. So maybe it will be free if not we will pay.

You all have given me some great idea's.

Thanks

Marcy

We are flying Economy and our flight leaves DFW at 12:45pm and arrives Hawaii at 4:00pm. Flight time 8 hrs 15 min.

States one meal served. So maybe it will be free if not we will pay.

You all have given me some great idea's.

Thanks

Marcy

Sorry, no meal service in coach to Hawaii. Please plan on either taking a "picnic" lunch or buying something at the airport. Very often, there are not enough meals for purchase to serve everyone. Or the crappy ones (the wraps) are the only thing left for purchase. I wouldn't gamble on buy on board. Provide your own food and you will be much happier. it's a LOOOONG flight.

You will be fine on the 757 from ORD to LAX. That flight will be normal domestic first class service. Really try to change to flight #283 or even one of the Maui/HNL flights on the 763 if seats are available. Have to change planes in Maui, but the Maui/HNL flight is very short. And all Hawaii airports are very easy. Keep trying AA every two or three days for available seats. AA should not charge you anything so long as you fly the same day, same route.

767-300 is the same as 763 and 767-200 is the same as 762. Just different ways to designate the same plane.

Thanks for all of the advice. It is educational to read your posts as well as other experienced flyers on this board.

I just spoke to AA, and while that 1 non-stop from ORD is not full in 1st, there are no award seats. I would say a little less than half of the seats are still there. I was told that about a week before the flight, if there are seats available they may make them award seats.

There were no award seats at this time on any combination of flights except a late flight to SFO with the next flight not leaving until the next morning.

I guess I should be grateful that I have the seats on the flights I have at this time.

Sorry, no meal service in coach to Hawaii. Please plan on either taking a "picnic" lunch or buying something at the airport. Very often, there are not enough meals for purchase to serve everyone. Or the crappy ones (the wraps) are the only thing left for purchase. I wouldn't gamble on buy on board. Provide your own food and you will be much happier. it's a LOOOONG flight.

Quick question, with all the new airlines security now are we allowed to bring a small lunch type cooler with food and drinks from home, or do we need to wait until we pass security and stop and pay stuff at the airport vendors on the way to the gate area.

I guess I just want to make sure and not hold up the security line for a lunch cooler with a sandwich and chip, drink etc.

Maybe there are some people on these boards that work for American that can help as well.

And I know I can always call the Airlines, but you know how long the Hold wait can be.

Thanks so much for your time and trouble helping me do right!

Marcy

Archived