The "fools" have returned-Dawn 4/1/07 to 4/12/07 review

judyf

St. Thomas: Easter Sunday 4/8/07-8:00am to 5:30pm-all aboard

This was my third time to St. Thomas. It was Easter Sunday and the Havensight Mall was open and many shops in Downtown too. I didn’t plan to shop much but I know many others did so it was nice that many shops were open.

I pre-booked Sunny Liston's tour and we all decided on the 10 am pick up to go shopping. We had a choice of 9, 10 or 11 am pick up. Being Easter Sunday we just thought it was nice to have one pick up for Sunny. One group of three didn't show up for the tour but another family that we met at breakfast that morning joined us. I had told them about Sunny's tour but that he was fully booked,they saw his van coming off the ship at just the right time to join us.

We had till 11:30 am to shop. I went to the silver store, not that great the one in San Juan was much better, I didn't find anything I liked. Then we just shopped at the outside vendors, I did get a knock off Prada purse.

After the shopping Sunny took as on a tour to Mountain Top, great views from here and I had 2 of the famous Banana Daiquiri's. They are good but $7.50 each. We stopped at another look out point maybe two.

Sunny then dropped us off at a beach of our choice. First time I went to Megan’s Bay, last time we choose Corky beach. This time we all decided on Sapphire Beach. It is a really nice beach and it's free, Megan's has a $3 pp fee. I didn't do much snorkeling as my snorkel gear wasn't working good but others said the snorkeling was great here. I had a blast just relaxing on the beach and swimming in the clear blue water.

While on Sunny tour he plays Caribbean music and gets everyone into the mood signing on the loud speaker, making the van dance. LOL. It's a really fun tour.

In 2003 we did Godfrey's tour it was great we had no problems but just not as fun as Sunny's. If I had to choose between the two tours I would choose Sunny's, only cause of the music he played and getting everyone in the party mood. He was $25 pp kids same price.

Link to St. Thomas Pictures.

http://family.webshots.com/album/558674903CKtdNC

Martini, Margarita Daiquiri Clinics:

What can I say but fun, fun and more fun, I had the best time. I went to 2 martini clinics and 2 margarita clinics. Jose the "Booze Master", from the Spirit in July is now on the Dawn, conducting the clinics. When I described what my SO, Jerry looked like he remembered us from the Spirit. Jose the Booze Master is a lot of fun he is better then anyone I've had on other cruises and I always attend all the clinics mainly to met people. They're a nice way to meet people on the cruise, and the booze breaks the ice to start talking. LOL We've met some of the best people here and still stay in touch with many. There wasn't as many offerings this cruise as there was on the 10 day Spirit cruise. No Daiquiri clinics that I saw listed.

There's a $15 per person fee and you can share. We had 7 mini martini's each at the two clinics and then 8 mini margaritas. On the last sea day at the margarita clinic Jose gave us 9, as it was the same group that went to all 4 clinics. At the second martini tasting we stayed up at the Star Bar having a blast till about 7-7:30pm and a piano player that our group knew came and played for us. Don't miss these if you like to meet people and have a great time.

Entertainment:

Jimmy was our CD and he was okay not great. Had better but also have had worst, he is average. The NCL Performers were great!

We saw many shows but not all of them as I have sailed the Dawn before and some were a repeat for us.. We're had better and worst shows on other ships, these were average. The three production shows are a do not miss. !!! If possible don't miss Band on the Run the new production show. This is the only one I was able to make this cruise and it was well worth the time.

As always I really, really miss the late night adult comedy that CCL does. There was only one comedian during the 11 days. Second City did one show and one late night show, they were better on this cruise then they were in the past. NCL needs more comedians!

Here's a quick run down of the entertainment. I will rate each with 10 being the highest and 1 the lowest.

Sunday, Welcome Aboard Show in Stardust Theater one show 9pm only-rating 6

Monday, Tony Duncan Juggling and some comedy in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm-rating 8

Tuesday, NCL Production show South Beach Rave 7:30 & 9:30 pm - missed it this time but was good the first time seeing it.

Wednesday, Comedian Bill Hildebrandt in Stardust Theater 8:00 & 10:00 pm-rating 8

Thursday, Gleason Magic, in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm-rating 9, best magic I have seen on a ship.

Friday, The Second City in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm -rating 8, better then in the past.

Saturday, NCL Production show Band on the run in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm-rating 10.

Sunday, Eddie Holman in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm-rating 7 just not my kind of music, my mother would rate it a 9.

Monday, Elijah Myles & Tony Duncan in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm. we missed this one.

Tuesday, NCL Production show Bollywood in Stardust Theater 7:30 & 9:30 pm., we missed it this time but was good the first time seeing it.

Wednesday, Star Seeker in Stardust Theater one show 7:30-we didn't attend.

TIP: If there a show or event in Spinnaker Lounge get there early to get a seat. We arrived about 20-30 minutes early and there was no seats. I would suggest at least 30 minutes to get a seat even more for a good seat.

We experienced the same about seating on HAL. It was so discouraging we only went to a couple of shows, NMnita

Tortola: Monday: 4/9/07 7::00am to 11:30am-all aboard

I booked a private tour with Patouche and then they had a problem with their boat and had to cancel our tour. I then pre-booked a shore excursion online through NCL to do the Bath's Highlights. I had no problem at all with my booking, I know others on our sailing did. My mother could not do this tour, she decided to sleep in and stay on the ship. With our tour we took a short bus ride to a boat and it was about a 30 minute sail to the top of the Baths and then we hiked down at the bottom, you arrive at the first beach area. There are some restrooms with lockers. This place was beautiful. I really enjoyed the hiking part of this tour.

The first beach we went to the hike was mainly on a trial it was a fairly easy hike. This beach was fairly big and had some shade available. It was just beautiful. On your left is the entrance to the rock formations. IMO if you can make it through the first opening that is tight squeeze this is the hardest it got. Once inside, you walk over, under and around rocks. On the hike some of the time you are climbing, some of the time you are wading. When it is necessary to climb a rock, ladders and ropes are installed at different places to help you. Going through the rocks involves wading in knee length or lower water and involves having to climb over, under and through some awesome rock formations. It is very hot inside there and was rather crowded at points where some would be coming up and others coming down.

Remember if you put things in the lockers you must go back through the rock formations to go back to the lockers. We didn't have much time so we carried what we had with us so we didn't have to go back. At the end of the rock formations ithere's another beach, I don't remember the names of the beaches but I know one was devil's Beach I think it was the second beach but I'm not sure. Both beaches were great, I actually liked the first beach better is was more secluded and had some shade. Snorkeling was great at both according to those that snorkeled.

Tip: Make sure you wear water shoes or something that is good for climbing, flip flops or sandals don't really cut it here.

The only problem with this excursion it wasn't long enough.

Almost done! Taking longer then I thought it would. LOL

Link to Tortola pictures

http://family.webshots.com/album/558677396sULcfa

Hi Judy!

I'm enjoying your pictures immensely!!! I just finished looking at the ones for Virgin Gorda. That's one place I keep trying to get to, but I want to be docked in Tortola longer and not have to get up first thing in the morning and rush there. I want to go by Speedy's and enjoy the day there!! Some day I'll make it. The first time I tried to get to Tortola, there was a change of itinerary and the ship never made it. The last two times, we were only there until 1 p.m. or 12 p.m. One of these days....................

Thanks again for the pictures!! I'm loving them!!!!!

Boy, everyone sure does looked pooped on the way back from there, huh?? My husband would have snored everyone out on the way back had we joined the rest of you! lol

Sue, you must make it there someday. It was great. I'm so gald I decided to go there solo this trip, I almost didn't. Sure glad I did, I hooked up with some friends I met on the cruise and we really had a blast. Getting up super early was the only downside. LOL

My opinion on the itinerary.

It's a GREAT itinerary. I was so happy when I saw this 11 day cruise to the southern Caribbean was during my spring recess. It worked out great for me as far as getting the time off. This itinerary is also nice due to the fact that some of the port stops were later in the day. This really was nice we didn't have to get up so early everyday after being out late in the evenings. In also includes a few islands that you don't always get to visit on a cruise from NYC, plus 2 new ports for me. We enjoyed all the ports we visited. The change in itinerary for us took off a full day in Grenada and added 4 hours or so in San Juan. Just one more reason to go on another cruise that will visit Grenada.

Pirate Pub Crawl & Quest

It was a blast!! My mother wasn't feeling good so she went to the 7:30 show while I went to the pub crawl. It was like walking into a twilight zone when I walked into La & Cha's suite where we all met for the pub crawl. Everyone was dressed as a pirate. My mother gave her pirate gear to the friends we met at the martini clinic's and I was telling them all about cruise critcis and how everyone was invited to dress as piartes and do the pub crawl and there was a great group of fools that has been posting on cc.. I went to the pirate pub crawl directly after the martini clinic, oh no! I didn't make time for dinner this night either. I know we had 7 mini martini's at the clinic and I can't remember how many full size french cosmos we had. I can tell you we had enough that we were all singing and dancing to the piano players music, and I can't remember his name. I went to the pub crawl feeling pretty darn good to start, Heck, it was the last full party night on the Dawn and I was planning on enjoying it as much as I could. I did accomplish that task. Our friends did Show up for the pub crawl and Sharon had pirate tatoos and gave us all one. We had a blast putting them on. Then one of my friends had a little, well maybe a lot too much to drink and he had to walk the plank. He was way out of line , sorry pirates too many martinis can do that to the best of us.

We went to Pearly's Kings first and had a drinking contest and then we had a group picture taken. If any pirates have that picture and can scan it for me I would very much appreciate it. After that it gets a little fogging but I remember we ended up at the Quest and boy did the pirates let lost there. What happens on the Dawn stays on the Dawn unless you get pictures and yes, we did get pictures. Then I know the last stop was Dazzles, lots of fun dancing and more drinks. Next thing you know I look around and I'm the lone pirate, everyone had left. I had won a water bottle at the Quest and would you believe someone stole it from the Dazzles Bar. I left my pocket book on the bar too but they didn't take that, only my water bottle, go figure. I had a blast and it was really a lot of fun dressing up and being with a big bunch of foolish pirates. The only thing I must say is I really missed Jerry on this cruise as I felt like I didn't really fit in as almost everyone was in couples. I felt like the third leg of a chair. I told Jerry he must now go with me on the next cruise. His answer was when he gets as much vacation time as I do he will go again. Well guess I'm still going to be that third leg. LOL

Final Thoughts:

You did see a few comparisons in my review to the different lines I've been on. I like to sail different ships and different lines. I know some like just one line and knock the others for one reason or another. I see it on all the different boards they all are the same. I like different lines for different reasons and they all have their good points and their bad points and I would sail any of the lines again I've been on so far. Don't think there's a cruise I wouldn't go on if the dates and price were right. I hope to try a Princess ship someday too. It’s like comparing a Ford to a Chevy or a Toyota. I do keep coming back to NCL lately due to the freestyle.

I love freestyle cruises and it would be hard to go back to traditional dining again after the benefits of freestyle. I like to eat when and where I want and with whom I wish. I'm a picky eater, I eat most veggies and some boneless meat if it's well done. Having the options to eat Italian or Mexican the nights there's not much on the menu I would eat is great. That's a real vacation to do what I want and when I want to do . It's the thing I liked most about NCL but I also must add that it adds more work or thinking to your cruise. What do I mean about that? Well, let me explain. When you get early or late seating the shows are geared around that dinner time so you eat dinner then go to the show. Or with Disney you might do a show first then eat. It’s all timed perfectly for you, nothing to think about except what am I going to eat tonight. . With freestyle YOU need to do that planning or thinking for example if you have dinner at let’s say 8pm you will miss both shows that night most likely. With that being said I find it easier each NCL cruise I'm on to do the freestyle planning, just remember when making your dinner ressies, to make them at a time you can still make a show if that's what you like to do.

NCL Movies, there were plenty of movies playing on 2 channels on the TV in your cabin. I highlighted a bunch that I haven't seen yet and wouldn't mind seeing but I was so busy I didn't even get to see one. There were also movies playing in the theater, these were listed in your dailies. The only thing I noticed was that on port days there were several movies playing a day in the theater and on sea days one or two and that was it. It would have been nice to have them playing all day long on sea days for those that don't like the sun or if it was a cool day at sea.

I met some really nice people on this cruise and had a really great time. Some of the shows weren't our taste but that happens everywhere . It's hard to have so many different shows , 11 days in a row and love them all. If I enjoy half of the shows I'm happy, and I'm sure there's are others that didn't like the ones I did and they liked the ones I didn't. That's life we all like different things.

Debarkation:

Debarkation went very smooth and we had no problems, I slept late, another reason I love NCL and freestyle Debarkation. We didn't leave the ship till about 11:30 am or so. They needed to kick us off, we left when the last color tag was called even though our color was two before that one. I was in no rush to get off the Dawn. Funny thing is a couple Jerry and I sailed with in July won a cruise on the last NCL contest and were going on the 4/12 sailing. We said we would wave to each other , as they got on. As my mother and I were walking off the ship through the terminal I here my name being called and there was Mary and Bob at the desk checking in. It was a cool ending to a very great cruise.

I finally finished the review! Please forgive any typos and grammar errors. As I'm sure there's a lot. LOL

Any questions on something I might have left out just ask.

Judy,

I have to say that you were never a third wheel. It was a pleasure to met you and your mom, Mary. You gals always had a smile on your face and you take your cruise partying very seriously.

Your review was very well detailed and brought back many memories. It is our sincere hope that we get to cruise with you again in the future.

I've always said (since I've been cruising) that people make the cruise. You and Mary helped reaffirm this. Thanks!!!!:D

J-

(The wheels on the bus go round and round)

:D :D :D :D That's too cool, La!

Thanks guys. We had a great time and lots of fun and meeting you all was great!

I just think I would have had much more fun if Jerry was along. Plus my mother wasn't feeling good at all, she did pretty well, considering the pain she was in.

Another great cruise to remember and planning the next!

[quote name='judyf'][B][U]Barbados: Friday, 4/6/07 10:00am to 6:00pm-all aboard [/U][/B]

This is my second time to Barbados, last time we did a great tour with Glory Tours which included the Wildlife Reserve, snorkeling and swimming with the turtles. Because we saw most of the island, last trip I just wanted to enjoy the day and relax and have some fun at the beach.

This was our favorite port stop we had a blast. Thanks to Lee from our roll call I decided to go to the Boatyard for the day. Lee I had a drink for you and we toasted you on the beach, you were in my thoughts all day at the Boatyard as I knew you were going to go there. I told a group we met at the martini clinic about it, and they went too. We all got chairs together right by the rope swing and all the toys in the water. I rented an umbrella and it was only $2 each. There were a few umbrellas that were already there at no charge too. Anne brought her own umbrella so we had a nice area for those that wanted to stay out of the sun.

This was a beautiful beach we all decided at the end of the cruise that this was the best beach of all and we went to a beach on every island except San Juan. This is not counting the baths as they are in a class my themselves.

There's a $15 pp charge to enter the Boatyard, but included in that fee is the use of a chair, a drink and you get the use of all the toys in the water and a ride back to the ship is also included. We paid $5 pp for a cab to get there, I have read if you walk out away from the pier more you can get a cab for $3 pp but my mother can't walk that far so we just got a cab closer.

Five of us did a banana boat ride for $15 pp. What fun we had, we got tipped off twice, the hardest part was getting back on in the middle of the ocean. What a time that was but we all did it. LOL We also jumped off the rope swing, fun, fun, fun. I did get way too much sun here but we had a blast! I would go here again if I ever return to Barbados.

I did get my Barbados pictures done so here's a link to them.

[URL]http://family.webshots.com/album/558672715nXRMOt[/URL][/quote]

great review and pictures
Thanks for the drink ,I could really use a few :eek:
So glad you enjoyed the Boatyard I thought it looked like fun ,maybe we can do it again together:)

[quote name='LEET44']great review and pictures
Thanks for the drink ,I could really use a few :eek:
So glad you enjoyed the Boatyard I thought it looked like fun ,maybe we can do it again together:)[/QUOTE]

That would be great Lee, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for suggesting the Boatyard, we enjoyed it the most. Lots of fun but also relaxing. My kind of place.

[quote name='Welove2cruise2']Judy, thanks so much for posting a great and thorough review! We also love the Dawn, and the 10/11 day cruises out of NYC -- I hope NCL doesn't forget about us Northeasterners next winter!! One ship is NOT enough![/QUOTE]

I so agree, I was looking for a 10/11 day next March or April and there's nothing out of NYC.

hey :)

just wanted to say awesome review! we had such an excellent time on this trip, it was really fun to read about it. it was great meeting you & your mom :) i wish i hadn't gotten so shy before the meet & greet so i could have met everyone. our team was playing the quest too and it looked like you were all having a blast!

in a couple of your pics of the martini clinic you can see me & keith in the background. our friends never showed up (i think they started a little too early that day lol) and keith looked over at your group laughing and joking around and he was like "i wish we were sitting over there!" :)

anyway, it was a really fun cruise and we're already talking about doing another one next year. hope to see ya on the next one!

[quote name='moe.girl']hey :)

in a couple of your pics of the martini clinic you can see me & keith in the background. our friends never showed up (i think they started a little too early that day lol) and keith looked over at your group laughing and joking around and he was like "i wish we were sitting over there!" :)

[/QUOTE]

Hi Moe Girl, we did invite you to join us, :D when your friends didn't show up you should have pulled your chairs up. There's some good pictures, looked like you and Keith were having a good time too.

Archived