are there no wealthy disabled cruisers??

emma06

Crystal offers accessible suites on both the Symphony (1002/1003) and the Serenity (10064/10065). They had one on the Harmony too. My parents got upgraded to one of the accessible penthouses (butler and all) on a transatlantic on the Symphony one time.

The Silversea Shadow and Whisper offers accessible suites in 535 & 537.

Regent also offers them on their ships.

Generally though we go with the lowest price cabin that will accomodate us. We just don't spend that much time in the cabin, and we get to cruise more often that way. We are middle-class people. For many people with disabilities, income drops, or expenses are much higher (for example, my parents must private pay for my mother's attendant care), so no, there are not a lot of very weathly people with disabilities.

Thanks Splinter. I knew Crystal had HP cabins but not full suites. I think Silver Sea and Regent will both be out of our price range for the foreseeable future. But a suite for our 25th in a few years would be nice...

We also tend to spend more on the self arranged shore excursions than most abled bodied cruisers. Not to mention the sticker shock on needing to hire an outside attendent recently. The DH has decided the little help I need is not so bad afterall. But arranging for as we age does kind of come in when I was rethinking a X Sky Suite on a transatlantic versus a 12 day western Caribbean (very few excursions) this spring and a 14 day to Bermuda and the Caribbean in the fall. Neither of us does well in economy class anymore for overseas flights and we'd rather save the $$ for actual cruises.

As for wealthy, it's back to my yearly race with the taxman to figure out what Uncle Sam considers wealthy.

For those of you who offered info with no judgement, thank you. For others - my parents were both teachers for over 30 years and saved every penny planning on traveling when they retire. Two years into retirement, my father had a massive stroke. My mother cannot travel with him by herself and in the last few years we discovered crusiing as a way the multi-generations can all have fun and still be together. I will not defend my mother's desire to splurge on a fancy suite. I think that the cruise lines should provide at least an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the accommodations in all the categories if they so choose. That was my point.

Here's my 2 cents on our experience with handicapped suites. As for Celebrity, my parents loved the Sky suite and the butler perk. The Noodam's Deluxe verandah suite was bigger, but the toliet was literally in the shower. Also, my parents had an aft cabin, which was wonderful for the balcony, the wake and the quiet, but it was a looong walk for my mom with the wheelchair to the Neptune, so she didn't end up using it that much. However, we did. It was definitely a great perk. I actually liked the food there better at times than in the Lido buffet. And the Cappuccino was the best! We loved The other perk of free laundry service throughout the cruise. Thanks to these boards, we knew about it ahead of time, so my husband and I were able to make up a bit for my teenage daughter's over packing.

I am a bit gun shy about participating in these boards, but in an attempt to give back, I will attempt to answer any questions people may have about the Noodam or Millenium (if memory serves)

While you were gathering your info, did you come across any websites that gave the sq. footage of the HC cabins.

When looking at the deck plans for RCL's Liberty of the Seas, the Junior Suite and E2 HC cabins appear to be the same size. Could that be??

Thxs for all the info in your posts.

Thanks for quick response

JS (hc) is unavailable for the date we picked in January. So, TA made a reservation in an HC E-2. Have til 4/25 to put a down payment,

May I ask where you find that info or did you call RCL?

But, now that I have your info, I will tell TA to try other dates for a JS

Thanks,

Beryl

Go to http://cruiseclues.com/photoclubs.htm when you get that page, it is green color, you will find all the cruise ships listed alphabetically in the left column. Click on the name of the ship you are interested in and then go down the center column until you find "Cabin Details" click on that and you should see a chart listing all cabin categories and what features they have as well as how many of each category and on which decks they will be found. Most of the charts also show the number of sqft - some, but not all. If I may ask an impertinent question, how come you have to do this when you are using a TA? TA has, or should have, if he/she is good the same info. We use this only because we do our own booking, having had some bad TA experiences in the past. Find that after 35+ cruises,we can do much better going direct and cutting out the middle man. I just wonder some times what some TAs do these days to earn the commisions they are paid. Sorry, just venting!:)

Not an impertinent question at all

I do it because I enjoy it--to me the planning is amost as enjoyable as the cruise.

Agree with you about the TA. Have n't any answer to why I am still using one, except for habit

This will be our 9th cruise (compared to your 35+)

Thxs for website.

Beryl

While you were gathering your info, did you come across any websites that gave the sq. footage of the HC cabins.

When looking at the deck plans for RCL's Liberty of the Seas, the Junior Suite and E2 HC cabins appear to be the same size. Could that be??

Thxs for all the info in your posts.

try cruiseclues, they have SF's for pretty much every category, including accessible cabins, where they are different from the generic.

Etoile, we were looking at the Eurodam, which HAL launches next year.

Although it's bigger and holds more pax than a Vista, it appeared to us that it has fewer HC cabins. Have you done any research on it?

I think it was 23 on Eurodam, vs. 28 on the Vistas.

If this is so, it concerns me, as I think the newer [and bigger] ships should have more HC cabins than the older ones.

We have to book a year out to get a cruise these days. :(

I have recounted several times deck by deck and find 27 accessible cabins. Of these, 2 are full suites, and 2 are so-called deluxe verandah suites. The latter two are on deck 5 and the furthest forward from the elevator bank - not only that , but the verandahs are the very first ones foreward. Our experience with similar cabins on Vista ships is though the cabins themselves are spacious and well-equipped, the verandahs are virtually unusable when the ship is moving at any speed into the wind; the amount of wind makes them more than just uncomfortable- just an awful location for wheelchairs, and if the doors out on to the verandah are anything like they are on Vista ships, almost impossible to access for someone in a wheelchair unless some other person holds the door open:(

I have recounted several times deck by deck and find 27 accessible cabins. Of these, 2 are full suites, and 2 are so-called deluxe verandah suites. The latter two are on deck 5 and the furthest forward from the elevator bank - not only that , but the verandahs are the very first ones foreward. Our experience with similar cabins on Vista ships is though the cabins themselves are spacious and well-equipped, the verandahs are virtually unusable when the ship is moving at any speed into the wind; the amount of wind makes them more than just uncomfortable- just an awful location for wheelchairs, and if the doors out on to the verandah are anything like they are on Vista ships, almost impossible to access for someone in a wheelchair unless some other person holds the door open:(

Thanks! I think my info came from a TA site, I didn't count the cabins deck by deck.

We have had those cabins you described, the VAs on the Verandah Deck all the way forward.

You are right, the verandahs are pretty windy most of the time. DH doesn't even bother with them.

Even when we are in port, he won't go out. Just not enough space for him to feel comfortable.

• 1 year later...
. I think that the cruise lines should provide at least an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the accommodations in all the categories if they so choose. That was my point.

I could not agree with you more. I would love to have the option on RCCL to book a true suite but I do not. I have to have bars, a raised toilet and a roll in shower. It does not stop me from cruising but it is frustrating.

Good luck with planning the special cruise with your folks.

Jean

For those of you who offered info with no judgement, thank you. For others - my parents were both teachers for over 30 years and saved every penny planning on traveling when they retire. Two years into retirement, my father had a massive stroke. My mother cannot travel with him by herself and in the last few years we discovered crusiing as a way the multi-generations can all have fun and still be together. I will not defend my mother's desire to splurge on a fancy suite. I think that the cruise lines should provide at least an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the accommodations in all the categories if they so choose. That was my point.

Here's my 2 cents on our experience with handicapped suites. As for Celebrity, my parents loved the Sky suite and the butler perk. The Noodam's Deluxe verandah suite was bigger, but the toliet was literally in the shower. Also, my parents had an aft cabin, which was wonderful for the balcony, the wake and the quiet, but it was a looong walk for my mom with the wheelchair to the Neptune, so she didn't end up using it that much. However, we did. It was definitely a great perk. I actually liked the food there better at times than in the Lido buffet. And the Cappuccino was the best! We loved The other perk of free laundry service throughout the cruise. Thanks to these boards, we knew about it ahead of time, so my husband and I were able to make up a bit for my teenage daughter's over packing.

I am a bit gun shy about participating in these boards, but in an attempt to give back, I will attempt to answer any questions people may have about the Noodam or Millenium (if memory serves)

You do not have to justify yourself to anyone. We cruise in a manner in which we find comfortable to afford, sometimes we stay in the PH suite, at others in a normal balcony cabin. It is not a case of putting on airs and graces, it is simply that on certain cruises we sometimes decide to treat ourselves.

Maybe some took offence at the 'wealthy' comment, but that's their problem not yours, some people want more than a Sky Suite offers and if they can afford then good for them.

Also, not all or many would even bother to do the research for their parents, so I hope you find what your parents are looking for.

• 2 years later...
I had No problems on Silverseas' Silver Spirit & recommend it highly.

The original post is four years old. The OP has probably long taken their cruise.

As for Silversea, I did not find that line to be very good for someone with disabilities, especially if you have mobility problems.

The original post is four years old. The OP has probably long taken their cruise.

As for Silversea, I did not find that line to be very good for someone with disabilities, especially if you have mobility problems.

When did you last cruise on Silversea & on which ship? I'd like to know for the future.

I used a scooter on their Silver Spirit & had no problems.

We did make it for our 25th anniversary and our Alaska bucket cruise to HAL's SB deluxe suites. Alaska is coming up the end of May on the Amsterdam. Does anyone with recent HAL experience have any tips? We are Celebrity types normally but HAL had a 14 day with Sitka and the tender escalators. Actually after having 3 different sales rep at Celebrity tell me the Summit had the tender escalator installed for our last Canada cruise and I missed lunch with a friend due to that being untrue. Then add their no carrying onto tenders anymore policy and we decided to try a line several friends like. And with Alaska cruises do people tend to dress more relaxed on smart casual nights? Thanks for any tips at all. On Celebrity we really liked the super large aft concierge cabins on the M Class ships.

Archived