Noroviris Princess Cruises

safety

I have read recent threats on this site about the outbreak of the Norovirus on the CB during the recent April cruise. I was a passenger along with my wife on the same cruise during March. We enjoyed all aspects of the cruise save One! -a very important aspect for us and I am sure, most of our fellow passengers. I am discussing personal hygiene and the extent to which Princess promulgates it and neglects it. I noticed that hand sanitizers were placed at the entrance to all dining rooms and the Horizon Court. These dispensers wer either placed on the wall or placed on a table for use by the passengers. I took care to notice many passengers who did not use the sanitizers before dining. Their lack of use, especially in the Horizon Court, was not an appealing thought as I had my breakfast.

I know the cruise lines can not mandate their use. This being said, I was on RCL and Celebrity recently, both of which have dining room staff located at the entrance of the dining rooms with sanitizers extended to passengers for their use. Almost all passengers availed themselves of this service. It's use is almost unavoidable-THANK GOODNESS!

Princess makes every effort to make known the offerings of the ship--merchandise-liquor-excursions etc. I strongly suggest that Princess inform and encourage good hygeine pratices to limit viral transmission among passengers. A notice daily in the "Princess Patter" would be one of my recommendations. This message could introduce "first time" cruisers and also refresh us "oldtime cruisers" to the importance of hand sanitizers and good health pratices. Another suggestion mentioned above, would be to station dining staff at the entrance to the dining area at the beginning of seatings.

I have taken two cruises with Princess in the last 12 months and hope to cruise the Panama Canal with Princess in 2008. Princess cruises are enjoyable....LET'S HOPE THEY MAKE SOME CHANGES TO BETTER SAFEGUARD OUR HEALTH.

While on the Crown were were very impressed at the extent the Princess staff went to ensure evryone was using the hand sanitizers. Infact, for the first part of the cruise you could not enter the dining room or buffet area without the staff dispensing the sanitizer on your hands.

On our Alaskan cruise in '04, there were usually crew members handling out packets of silverware in the Horizon Court, but only after you take a spitz of sanitizer. Maybe you can write Princess and suggest they include a letter about steps to take that are passed out with the cabin key. But I imagine that those who aren't being clean and careful will ignore that along with any mention in the Patters as well as ignoring any sanitizer station they pass by.

I just came back from the Grand, and they actually had somebody squirting hand sanitizer on our hands as we went in to get our plates in Horizon, and they had it at the headwaiter station in each dining room. Is the maitre d' the one who controls this practice? If so, they are on top of it on the Grand.

Maybe you can write Princess and suggest they include a letter about steps to take that are passed out with the cabin key.

actually, that reminds me...our cabin steward personnally handed our such letters when he came around to introduce himself on the first afternoon.

I just came back from the Grand, and they actually had somebody squirting hand sanitizer on our hands as we went in to get our plates in Horizon, and they had it at the headwaiter station in each dining room. Is the maitre d' the one who controls this practice? If so, they are on top of it on the Grand.

This was also the case on the Diamond in March. The crew was vigilant and I did not see anyone NOT partake of the hand sanitizers. I was very impressed.

Our experience on the Grand in Dec was the same as the earlier poster. There was someone at the entrance to every eating area with the hand sanitizer. Also, there were always staff walking through public areas spraying down surfaces. We were very impressed with the measures taken on the Grand.

I think they have done enough. It seems that many cruisers have become paranoid about this virus.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to elaborate. How is trying to have a cruise vacation without being sick for even 24 hours equate with a diagnosis of paranoia?

I don't see what more the cruise line can do. They stand there and spray your hands, they give out information, they place sanitizers everywhere. What is it you expect from them. Do you get this treatment at a grocery store or a hotel or a school or church. The virus is everywhere not just on a cruise ship.

I'd just like them to do these these things consistently, and not just sporadically or after evidence of an impending outbreak presents. Sometimes an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I'm sure that is what we would all like. Maybe a few more reminders to passengers would be a good thing.

I don't see what more the cruise line can do. They stand there and spray your hands, they give out information, they place sanitizers everywhere. What is it you expect from them. Do you get this treatment at a grocery store or a hotel or a school or church. The virus is everywhere not just on a cruise ship.
I have to agree - not only that, where is the practice of taking responsibility for one's self? People can't follow guidelines, people hog chairs, people let their kids run wild - now we have to tell them how to clean up after themselves and watch over them to make sure they do?

It's really kind of scary...

I haven't been on Princess yet, but when I was on NCL in November, they wouldn't let you walk into the dining room until you used the hand sanitizer. I heard people complaining that they already washed their hands, but they wouldn't let you in if you didn't use it. Even at the food court - there was someone there to hand you a plate at the entrance and they wouldn't hand it to you until you got some sanitizer.

I have read recent threats on this site about the outbreak of the Norovirus on the CB during the recent April cruise. I was a passenger along with my wife on the same cruise during March. We enjoyed all aspects of the cruise save One! -a very important aspect for us and I am sure, most of our fellow passengers. I am discussing personal hygiene and the extent to which Princess promulgates it and neglects it. I noticed that hand sanitizers were placed at the entrance to all dining rooms and the Horizon Court. These dispensers wer either placed on the wall or placed on a table for use by the passengers. I took care to notice many passengers who did not use the sanitizers before dining. Their lack of use, especially in the Horizon Court, was not an appealing thought as I had my breakfast.

I know the cruise lines can not mandate their use. This being said, I was on RCL and Celebrity recently, both of which have dining room staff located at the entrance of the dining rooms with sanitizers extended to passengers for their use. Almost all passengers availed themselves of this service. It's use is almost unavoidable-THANK GOODNESS!

Princess makes every effort to make known the offerings of the ship--merchandise-liquor-excursions etc. I strongly suggest that Princess inform and encourage good hygeine pratices to limit viral transmission among passengers. A notice daily in the "Princess Patter" would be one of my recommendations. This message could introduce "first time" cruisers and also refresh us "oldtime cruisers" to the importance of hand sanitizers and good health pratices. Another suggestion mentioned above, would be to station dining staff at the entrance to the dining area at the beginning of seatings.

I have taken two cruises with Princess in the last 12 months and hope to cruise the Panama Canal with Princess in 2008. Princess cruises are enjoyable....LET'S HOPE THEY MAKE SOME CHANGES TO BETTER SAFEGUARD OUR HEALTH.

We like better the little packets of hand cleaner that you get when you fly before your meal service. I wouldn't want to touch a bottle that someone else just used.

PTC

Most hand sanitizers (such as Purell, for one) advertise on their labels that they kill "most" bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Whether or not that's been tested, I'm not sure......

I found this to be a great article on this topic.

http://www.colostate.edu/orgs/safefood/NEWSLTR/v8n3s06.html

Here is an excerpt. I have read these facts other places too.

Alcohol works immediately and effectively to kill bacteria and most viruses. Solutions containing 60-95% alcohol are most effective. Higher concentrations are less potent because proteins are not denatured easily in the absence of water. Alcohol gels work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin, thereby destroying any "transient" microorganisms present on the surface of the hands. After use, re-growth of bacteria on the skin tends to occur slowly, thereby effectively keeping "residual" micro-flora that reside in deeper layers of skin from coming to the surface. To be most effective, a dime-size dollop of alcohol gel should be rubbed into the hands for 30 seconds. If hands are dry after only 10-15 seconds, it is likely that not enough sanitizer was used.

We like better the little packets of hand cleaner that you get when you fly before your meal service. I wouldn't want to touch a bottle that someone else just used.

PTC

The ones i have seen on ships are a dispenser with a sensor. You just put your hand under it and it squirts into your hand. You don't have to touch anything.

We have sailed twice with Princess ( Star and Diamond) and have been impressed with the efforts to cut down cross infection. Staff were always on hand at the entrance to Horizon Court and the captain on the Diamond apparently had a no handshake policy which I thought was a good idea. However, the cruise line can only do so much.

I was less than impressed with the personal hygiene of passengers, many of whom fail to wash their hands after using the bathroom. This was noticed by my husband in the boys room and by me in the girls. :eek:

We must all do our bit, folks and practice basic cleanliness techniques and be sensible. :) That way we all have a good time!

We were on the April 1st cruise of the CB and that was the case as far as I saw in all areas of the buffet and the Palm Dining Room.

I only wish that were the case on the cb---appreciate your post

• 2 months later...

I LIVE. After feeling close to death for several days i disembarked the Golden Princess this morning June 30 still too unwell to travel. No changes have occured to protect our well being. I was placed in a room that had a sick passenger before me. the room had not been disinfected as i found the quarintine letter of the previous guest in the bathroom. i brought this to the attention of the pursers office. they recleaned the room late on saturday.

i fell ill a few days later. i remained in the cabin under medical care the balance of my cruise. if you are unlucky and have cabin L235 and fall ill or you are Ms. B__k from the june 16 cruise please contact me.

take care

Archived