Just off Jewel of the Seas 04/07/07 8 Day Eastern Caribbean

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful 8 day cruise. We loved the Jewel of the Seas - it is a beautiful ship. We thought that the captain and staff were excellent. The weather, except for Sunday, April 15th, was perfect.

The most amazing thing to me was how excellent the food and service was in the Windjammer Cafe. We had been on other RCCL ships, but didn't really care for the cafeteria style Windjammer restaurants. The layout of this Windjammer restaurant is very different - there are several stations with various food selections. We ate most of our meals, including dinners, in the Windjammer. It was wonderful to be able to wear shorts to dinner!

We enjoyed the itinerary, and got off at all the islands except for Nassau. (Been there, done that before.) The Bacardi rum tour factory in San Juan, Puerto Rico, was not worth the time or the money ($27.00).

Rosario Strings, (a pianist and a violinist), were excellent. We understand that they have now moved to another ship. If you can catch their performance (at one of the lounges) you will definitely enjoy it.

The ship is now off to Europe - we only wish we could have stayed on for that as well. We highly recommend the Jewel of the Seas!

Rosario Strings, (a pianist and a violinist), were excellent. We understand that they have now moved to another ship. If you can catch their performance (at one of the lounges) you will definitely enjoy it.

I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise. I'll be on her for the first time in January. (I have a *famous* missed cruise from December 2004).

Just a word about "Rosario Strings". There are lots of 'em. It's not really just one group. Some are better than others.

:D

Glad you enjoyed it......

We were on this ship and the same itineary 3 weeks ago.........we loved it and it sounds like you did as well.:)

I don't know about "must see" places. I heard about the pink flamingos on deck 13, and saw a picture of them here on the message boards. The ship is very pretty with lots of huge plate glass windows. The Centrum elevator banks are fun to be in - you get a view of the lobby or of the ocean.

One thing we found unusual was that everyone seemed to meet in the theatre for the muster drill. This is the first time, in about 20 cruises, where the muster drill was not near a lifeboat. Perhaps this is something new.

I heard that the ship will be in dry dock for a couple of weeks in the early fall to get another engine put in. It does not sound like RCCL will be refurbishing any of the decorations, but I don't know for sure.

I believe we had the "new bedding" that has been discussed on the boards. We had a balcony cabin on deck 7. The bedding seemed new, but we asked the stateroom attendant for a blanket, because the duvet/quilt seemed too heavy for 80+ degree weather.

Enjoy your cruises - I was "internet shopping" for the our next one yesterday!

Archived