Stockings/pantyhose for formal nights?

Painter

One for the ladies...do you wear stockings/pantyhose when you dress for formal night dinners?

Does the rule apply...with closed shoe...yes.

with open shoes no.

Hi. You may want to take your fashion questions to the Cruise Fashions & Beauty - Cruise Critic Message Boards

I think we have "met" on the boards. You are going on the QM2 with us in November, right? We will be on the 30 November from New York.

--Judy

Hi. You may want to take your fashion questions to the Cruise Fashions & Beauty - Cruise Critic Message Boards

I think we have "met" on the boards. You are going on the QM2 with us in November, right? We will be on the 30 November from New York.

--Judy

Hi Judy...yes we are on the same cruise.

Check out the roll call. I will post questions for you there. You have been before so I will follow you. *G*

Put the question on this board because Cunard formal dinner fashion is top notch. So I have been told. I don't want to stand out doing the wrong thing.

Do you wear stockings with high heeled sandals?

Marleneann.

Hi Judy...yes we are on the same cruise.

Check out the roll call. I will post questions for you there. You have been before so I will follow you. *G*

Put the question on this board because Cunard formal dinner fashion is top notch. So I have been told. I don't want to stand out doing the wrong thing.

Do you wear stockings with high heeled sandals?

Marleneann.

Yes , but only sandalfoot stockings.

I may be in the minority, but NO I don't wear stockings with a formal - and my shoes are always dressy open-toe sandals with a heel. I do get a tan beforehand and a nice pedicure. Self-tanners and the spray-on kind MIGHT work, too; some folks swear by them. The pedicure is a must as are smooth legs. I wouldn't change my "no hose" rule, LOL - well not until the varicose and spider veins completely take over! :o

I may be in the minority, but NO I don't wear stockings with a formal - and my shoes are always dressy open-toe sandals with a heel. I do get a tan beforehand and a nice pedicure. Self-tanners and the spray-on kind MIGHT work, too; some folks swear by them. The pedicure is a must as are smooth legs. I wouldn't change my "no hose" rule, LOL - well not until the varicose and spider veins completely take over! :o

Scrumpy0, then you call them fishnets! <G>

Since I usually wear full length gowns, I generally wear the appropriaate color and heel style of knee his. I have a great deal of difficulty wearing nylon on any part of my body, so this is a difficult question for me. I generally wear plain white socks most days at home. No dyes, no nylon, maybe a little bit of spandex. If you've ever been absolutley crippled with foot problems where you cannot walk or even stand due to the pain, you suddenly realize that you feet are more imoportant than fashion. So I wear the knee-his and hope to be able to take them off relatively quickly. Otherwise, I won't be doing much for the rest of the cruise.

Trust me, Marc has to massage my feet for me to even be able to stand at time!

Karie,

Flat Foot Floogie

Hi Karie,

Fish nets - love it! Reminds me of Rocky Horror, though. Wonder how much leather would be acceptable in the dining room?

I can sympathize with you even though I haven't had it nearly so bad. I had surgery on both my feet. Spent months hobbling on one, then as soon as it healed, got to hobble around on the other one. After nearly two years of that, I am very careful with them now, wear only shoes that fit properly and have tossed out many of my past favorites. The ONLY time I wear heels is on a cruise - or at a wedding <sigh> if I can't find nearly flat pumps. I try to keep to 2" or under, but it's hard to find them. We tend to have dinner, then park ourselves in a lounge. Not a lot of wandering around the ship, partly because of the shoes.

I hate nylon; it makes me itch. I'm not about to put on knee-highs or anything else. Only one of my current gowns has a slit and if anyone is tacky enough to be checking out my thigh, then I'm thinking their interest is prurient and therefore irrelevant. An exfoliated, tanned leg, properly moisturized and waxed/shaved, is nothing to be hidden under nasty, itchy, hot nylon. But, I know some people follow this tradition and that's fine for them. I've taken panty hose on our previous cruises. I'm not sure why. When it's time to get dressed, they stay in their brand-new packaging - except ONCE. I guess we're programmed when we're young to do certain things, LOL! Used to hate working in an office wearing suits and hose. Maybe that accounts for some of my animosity towards them now. :D Having said ALL that, I do have one beautiful suit that begs for ivory stockings and pumps. Luckily, I've only had to wear it twice. Once to a formal wedding and, yes, once on a cruise...:o

Wonder how much leather would be acceptable in the dining room?

I'm told that boarding in full leathers is permissible - although you do get some funny looks from the staff! A man would have to wear his muir cap on an informal night; I would think that, for a lady, as long as the leathers were suitably spangly and were also full length you'd be OK on a formal night. You'd be a perfect match for Karie in her denim evening gown:D

The trend these days seems to be hose-less. Even for the most formal of occassions. Princess Di never wore hose, and if you look at all the stars at Oscar night in their designer gowns, they are almost all stocking free. Not that we have to follow that trend, but if it makes you more comfortable-go for it.

Jeanne

The trend these days seems to be hose-less. Even for the most formal of occassions. Princess Di never wore hose, and if you look at all the stars at Oscar night in their designer gowns, they are almost all stocking free. Not that we have to follow that trend, but if it makes you more comfortable-go for it.

Jeanne

I would have thought that one would want to do the opposite of Diana.

Just on principle!

Matthew

:mad: There is a time and place for all things.

A stupid comment about Diana Spencer is not appropriate www.cruisecritic.com content. This is not a damn chat room, nor a place for the lonely to type any damn thing that comes into their heads.

Ladies, do what you will with your legs and hose! Too Much Information on health is outweighed by fashion tips for one another! Little wonder you look so good when seen on board! :D

:mad: There is a time and place for all things.

A stupid comment about Diana Spencer is not appropriate www.cruisecritic.com content. This is not a damn chat room, nor a place for the lonely to type any damn thing that comes into their heads.

Ladies, do what you will with your legs and hose! Too Much Information on health is outweighed by fashion tips for one another! Little wonder you look so good when seen on board! :D

Oh grow up. How much of the recent posting has been formal information transfer?

If you don't like it, don't read it.

Matthew

This is not a damn chat room, nor a place for the lonely to type any damn thing that comes into their heads.

What prompted that remark? And I don't mean the comment about Diana Spencer. What makes you think you have the right to police the CC board?

And, at the same time I could ask you why you think that there is no problem with you swearing.

:eek: So many posts! As if you type out every thought you've ever had in your head. You seem to have highjacked the board with your many, many, fantasy posts, all of which of course must be true.

And yet, on QE2 this past January I did not see you standing there with handsfull of Os and As and Blues and Firsts.

As well, no matter how often you now type, how many airy references you care to make, how you may wish to type as if you type of two different worlds and the apparent superiority of yours, please keep on topic when you feel you must post.

I will take your suggestion in future! :)

:eek: So many posts! As if you type out every thought you've ever had in your head. You seem to have highjacked the board with your many, many, fantasy posts, all of which of course must be true.

And yet, on QE2 this past January I did not see you standing there with handsfull of Os and As and Blues and Firsts.

As well, no matter how often you now type, how many airy references you care to make, how you may wish to type as if you type of two different worlds and the apparent superiority of yours, please keep on topic when you feel you must post.

I will take your suggestion in future! :)

Os and As and Blues and Firsts?

:mad: See? It would be those two. :mad: The blocking feature is a good thing.

That's you and me Malcolm. We've upset him! :eek:

Matthew

What the heck have I missed here??? :confused: Where did all that nonsense come from? And who did what wrong? Do we have thread police now?:confused:

Oh well..for what it's worth, I NEVER wear stockings with anything! And I always make sure my legs and feet fit the occasion...so there thread police!

Cheers, Penny...who thinks that somtimes when we get OT we get better!:p

What the heck have I missed here??? :confused: Where did all that nonsense come from? And who did what wrong? Do we have thread police now?:confused:

Oh well..for what it's worth, I NEVER wear stockings with anything! And I always make sure my legs and feet fit the occasion...so there thread police!

Cheers, Penny...who thinks that somtimes when we get OT we get better!:p

Penny,

I'm the really naughty boy. Malcolm is clearly my co-conspiritor.

At least that is what I think......

Matthew

Archived