Order of arrival of Queens in NYC on 13 Jan 2008

Runaway

Yeah, I'm with you there!

Remember when you used to go to a concert at, for instance, Great Woods amphitheater (in Mansfield Mass) Now it's the Tweeter center. (Or the Verizon Amphitheater or the whatever) We used to have the Firecracker 400 on Fourth of July, Now it's the Pepsi Firecracker 400 or whatever. And the Tostitos Bowl, (which I think is apt! Now when is the ONION DIP bowl game being played?)

In CT, we ended up with one place being the Chevy something or another, and the other being the .... Uh... I dunno- Pontiac? something? It's so stupid!

And you used to be able to root for your favorite team. You knew all the players. They were "your guys" Now,they sell them (or the guys sell themselves) to the highest bidder! 9 million isn't enough. I want 10 million! How can you be loyal to a team any more. The move across the country, and trade players like..well, like baseball cards!

And speaking of baseball,: As American as baseball and apple pie? Well, let's see, there's the Cuban players, the Japanese players, the Dominican players...

Hmm Apple pie. I wonder if we have any fresh apples in teh kitchen...

Karie, who is NOT ADHD! ... much!

(Now taking off on a wild tangent!

Uh. What was the subject?)

Guernsey's right, you win today! :p

For the time being I am sticking with cricket. More fun than baseball and there's things like coaches being murdered in their rooms if things don't go as hoped.

Of course, hockey isn't my only cultural interest. Gordon won (Hooray!), so did the Rangers (Yuck).

Cough cough. Gordon and Hooray are not two words I would ever use in the same sentence. Unless it's Gordon wrecked, hooray! Even better if it's his slimy teammate J.J. Both together is cause for celebration. Uh oh, am I starting a row? I don't wish to. Let's find someone(s) to cheer for and against together. :)

Rangers (Hooray!). Jagr is still so cute. :p

CONGRATULATIONS! You win today's prize for taking a thread furthest off topic!:D (especially since the three Queens are French, Italian and Scottish!)

Even you old worlders should know that there are five queens: Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades, and England. And we all know which will be the last one standing. If we all luck out, there will be at least one liner around, named after an ancestor, for her to bless.

Of course, hockey isn't my only cultural interest. Gordon won (Hooray!), so did the Rangers (Yuck).

Well, I can at least bring those two subject together. I've talked to and met Hockey Great Gordie Howe!

Okay, now where were we?

and about that apple pie. I'm getting hungry!

Karie, NOT a thread hijacker. Just a thread veer-off-courser! <G>

Even you old worlders should know that there are five queens: Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades, and England.

If you are talking about HM QEII - 'Queen of England' is not in her job title, which in the UK is: "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith".

In Guernsey, she's The Duke of Normandy'.

....unless of course you meant Elton John.....

If you are talking about HM QEII - 'Queen of England' is not in her job title, which in the UK is: "Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith". ...

I know, I know. The other queens have grander styles as well, especially Hearts. No derogation intended.

For the time being I am sticking with cricket. More fun than baseball and there's things like coaches being murdered in their rooms if things don't go as hoped.

And you have to stick to reading about it because I don't think any of the World Cup was shown on US TV.

And you have to stick to reading about it because I don't think any of the World Cup was shown on US TV.

Correct. Sky Sports is pretty helpful in that there's score keeper with a commentator. He reports on each over. Not great, but better than nothing.

And we have a channel that shows Sky Sports highlights of the day at 7:00pm/1900.

How about the QM2 docks in Red Hook and the other two drop anchor in the harbour and tender to the Red Hook pier?

:D

<ducks>

Nonsense. Have you no notion of what is reasonable? The tenders are too small. The reasonable solution is for Cunard to hire Staten Island ferries to do the tendering. And if they dropped the passengers off at the ferry slips in Manhattan, that would eliminate all the carping about disembarking in an outer borough. Great idea, but you didn't think it through. And no need for you to duck any more, the "pierage" may have another target now.

I'd hate to think what it would be like with all that luggage in the Red Hook terminal at once, not to mention having to reprovision two ships at anchor. And how about having to embark passengers via tendering...............ACK!

I'd hate to think what it would be like with all that luggage in the Red Hook terminal at once, not to mention having to reprovision two ships at anchor. And how about having to embark passengers via tendering...............ACK!

Hey! They did it on the Titanic!

:rolleyes:

Hey! They did it on the Titanic!

:rolleyes:

Karie - Have I just not got the joke? Wasn't the Titanic en route to New York when it met the iceberg? It couldn't have been re-provisioned there because it never reached there.

Karie - Have I just not got the joke? Wasn't the Titanic en route to New York when it met the iceberg? It couldn't have been re-provisioned there because it never reached there.

Never purchase eastbound Titanic dining room menus as authentic collectors items.

No dear, the Titanic passengers were boarded via ferries, were they not? Either Cherbourg or Southhampton-

Unless, of course, i'm wrong!

But notin New York, sadly, no.

Karie

No dear, the Titanic passengers were boarded via ferries, were they not? Either Cherbourg or Southhampton-

Unless, of course, I'm wrong!

But not in New York, sadly, no.

Karie

• 2 weeks later...

According to the list compiled by Theodore Scull and John McFarlane for the Port of New York branch of the World Ship Society, on 13 Jan 08 QM2 will be berthed in Brooklyn, Explorer of the Seas in Bayonne - presumably leaving Manhattan for QV and QE2? They have departure times as 5pm for all 4 ships.

Ken

link is http://www.worldshipny.com/2007nycarrdep.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived