Coral Princess-Panama Canal

safety

We Will Be Taking The Panama Canal Cruise On The Coral In 2008. We Will Also Be Taking The Small Boat Excursion Thru The Remaing 3 Locks.. What Side Of Ship Should I Reserve My Balcony Cabin-port Or Starboard- So As To Maximize My Experience For The Maximum Viewing During The First 3 Locks? Any Other Info/comments On This Trip Would Be Appreciated--thanks!!:)

Coral and her sister Island were designed for the Panama Canal, and are great ships.

Port/starboard is arguable - there are parallel locks at both ends of the Canal, and the ship doesn't know until it arrives which set it will be using, having to wait for the Canal Authorities to switch a lighted arrow which designates port or starboard locks.

Two bits of advice - beware the sun - it is brutal in the tropics, and you can easily burn if you overexpose yourself. Read David McCullough's Path Between the Seas, an excellent book about the building of the Canal.

You may well find yourself crossing back and forth across the decks, checking out different vantage points.

We did the partial Panama over last Thanksgiving, and I was glad I had read that book before we left. The trip is awesome, and we absolutely loved it. On the day we entered the locks, our cabin steward told us to go forward on the Caribe deck, and enter through the unmarked door. You then go through another door, and are out on the deck, right under the Horizon buffet. Very few people were out there, and we were able to go from one side to the other. We then returned to our balcony (C209, starboard) and enjoyed our Breakfast inside (raining). This is a terrific trip, ENJOY!! Silver:cool:

We did this cruise in December 05 and absolutely loved it. The Coral Princess is a gem of a ship! :D When we booked we did not pay any attention to what side of the ship our cabin would be. We booked a port side balcony on the Emerald deck. Luckily from our cabin we were able to see the other parallel lock. But I guess that is hit or miss as to which lock the ship actually traverses. The one thing that we did not think about was the sun. On the port side of the ship you will face east when entering Gatun Locks. The sun was brutal and we were sweating half way through. Luckily the cabin was nicely air conditioned and we just stepped inside every now and again to cool off. Wear lots of sunscreen even though it will be early morning.

Nikki

We were starboard mid ship on the Dolphin deck. When we entered Gatun Locks we were in the left lock and had a great view. It was warm, but I don't recall that the sun was too bad that day. We stayed the entire time on our balcony, really had a great time. We also were up early enough that we were able to watch the harbor pilot and several others that are needed to come on board right below us, In addition the ship's photo crew got off when they got on so that they could be on the locks to take pictures of all the passengers on the ship as they went through.

SAFETY--

I hadn't heard of the small boat excursion to the remaining locks. Is that a shore excursion through Princess? I definitely want to sign up.

SILVERFOXCRUISER--

Thanks for the advice about the almost-private forward Caribe viewing area. We're on that deck midship so we'll take the short walk forward for an even better view.

We're on the November 10th cruise and I've already bought David McCullough's book.

These boards are awesome. Thanks to all for the input and advice. I feel so much better prepared having viewed the postings.

Thanks.

Katink

we did this feb/07. it was excellent. we were midship on the dolphin deck and we were able to see the parallel lock...on the way back through we went to the front of the ship..there were not a lot of people up there because most people watch in the morning.. but the view from the front of the ship was excellent. i'll try to attach a picture of the locks from the front of the ship.

DSCN1273.jpg.a3bb6353bf221e0a6f23564b7cd5cc59.jpg

SAFETY--

I hadn't heard of the small boat excursion to the remaining locks. Is that a shore excursion through Princess? I definitely want to sign up.

SILVERFOXCRUISER--

Thanks for the advice about the almost-private forward Caribe viewing area. We're on that deck midship so we'll take the short walk forward for an even better view.

We're on the November 10th cruise and I've already bought David McCullough's book.

These boards are awesome. Thanks to all for the input and advice. I feel so much better prepared having viewed the postings.

Thanks.

Katink

It was called Sea to Sea but not sure of what they call it now. You get off the Coral in Gatun lake, take a bus to a dock on the other side of Gatun lake and then get on a small tour boat which takes you the remaining way through the canal and then return by bus. Highly recommend it if you like the canal and techological things. We went through the remaining locks with a huge car carrier and it was fascinating to look up and see this very large ship in the same lock as you.

We did that cruise in 2004 and last March, both time on the Coral Princess. And if possible, I'll do that same cruise again and again !!! We absolutly loved it !

As fas as wich side you should choose your cabin, well, if you're like me, you won't be in your cabin when the ship will enter the locks... So, it doesn't matter. I always walk all around the ship to have different points of view.

As an example, when the ship will enter one of the 3 locks, go on deck 5 or 6 and look through the windows in the Patisserie or in the corridor in front of the Explorers lounge... It's absolutly unbelievable to see that concrete wall just inches of the window...

Yes it's fun to go through the locks while on your balcony but don't hesitate to go somewhere else on the ship !

Take a look at my photo albums (click the link in my signature) and you'll see what I mean.

As others said, have some sunscreen and don't forget it will be very humid...

This year, we did the "Panama canal by boat" excursion. It was very interesting but also a bit disapointing. It's not Princess fault nor the tour company's fault. It's just that there were too many ships in the canal that day so the canal authorities didn't let us go through the Gailard cut. We went directly to the Pedro Miguel locks by bus and then we were able to go through Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks by boat. So the tour should have been called "Panama canal by bus (5 hours) and a tiny bit by boat (1 hour or so)"... :o Anyway, it was great and I recommend it. Just remember that there might be a possibility that the canal authorities may restrict your tour...

I'm sure you'll love this cruise ! ... and the Coral of course !!!

Alain R.

We were on the port side, but there's no way to know ahead of time which lock the ship will be directed to. We viewed going through the locks at the very front of the ship on Caribe deck........normally this area is closed to passengers, but the doors are opened that morning...........a great view!!!...................Mary

I hadn't heard of the small boat excursion to the remaining locks.

We took it too (see our photos through the link below). We had a less-than-stellar experience due to contractor problems. They gave us several stories (equipment problems, delays in line to go through the locks, etc.) and wound up on the bus for quite a few hours. They took us to a restaurant and bought us beverages while we waited. We were refunded 20% of the price of the excursion, so I'm certain Princess was aware of the problem with their contractor. I'd heard a lot of people liked this excursion, so I'd be willing to say it was a fluke rather than a typical experience.

Once we got on the boat it was fine. Princess gave us a snack-size sandwich and had all-you-could-drink cold bottled water and soft drinks. It was a good way to see the canal close-up (we touched the wall!). I had packed a small snack of Granola Bites (watching blood sugar) and was glad I had.

We took the excursion you mentioned on our 2004 Coral cruise, and it was called "Ocean-to-Ocean" then. I don't know if the name has been changed. The smaller ship that you board to traverse the remainder of the Canal and the western locks carried about 300 PAX. The tour guide for that tour accompanied us on the smaller ship, and he as well as an onboard narrator from the small ship provided commentary about the workings of the Canal. Both were very knowledgeable and answered any questions. During the trip a bag lunch was provided (Subway sandwich, chips, cookies and a soda). There was a small "gift shop" onboard where souvenirs could be pruchased. Also while in the western locks, a crew member took photos of those who wanted a keepsake. It was printed in a "certificate" that showed one's photo with the lock in the background and included the date of the transit. I think we paid $15 for 2 copies (one each for me and my cabin mate).

After going through the western locks we sailed into the Pacific Ocean, went out around Panama City and docked at a yacht club. We transferred to nice tour buses and were driven across Panama to Cristobal to reboard the Coral. It was an all day excursion, a bit pricy, and worth every dollar we paid.

As far as whether to be in a port or a starboard cabin, IMHO it really does not matter. The Coral "just fits" through the locks, so you will be able to see just fine from either side. We happened to be starboard, and watched most of the transit of the eastern locks from there. There was lots to see, too. When you look over your balcony railing, it seems like you could just reach out and touch the wall of the lock, if you just were on a lower deck.

One other thought: we got up extra early the morning of the transit and went up to the Horizon Court. If you go all the way forward in the HC to the windows, before daylight, you can watch the ship's approach to the entrance to the first lock. That was really neat, watching the ship glide between the lights as it entered the first lock.

Hope you are as thrilled as we were by the Panama Canal experience. It really is a "wonder".

Hi Folks,

Did Transcanal '06 wetsbound from FLL/SFO/YVR on Coral in May.

Point of note, you can check forward space also on Baja I believe to go through the doors to view when arriving in potr or even at sea. There are 2 decks forward of the cabins at the bumpout where you can view. Get up early well before you're in view of the Gatun Locks in order to get fwd for your viewing space.

Ciao for now!!!

I would definately say PORT. We had a front bumpout on the Baha deck on the port side and we were on the port side in every port we visited. As far as the canal, you will want to start out in your room and then go to the front and back to get all vantage points. Most of the decks have a viewing area from the front and back. The ship is arranged very well for the canal viewing. We especially enjoyed being in port at the canal right as it came back through and we met up with it in Cristobol later that day. Our tour took us on a bus across the top of one of the locke gates. What an experience.

Be sure to go to the gift shop and purchase one of the Panama Canal books they have for sale. We only paid $10 and there is a full size map of the Caribbean and lots of pictures of the Canal during it's construction and the book has some great pictures and information in it. We learned alot!

Have fun...you will love this cruise and if you are on the Coral, you are in for a real treat.

We found that there were good viewing opportunities on all sides of the ship...it was great being up front (at the very front of the baja deck) as we approached the canal, and then moving to the observation decks at the back of caribe and dolphin as the locks closed behind us. We found that there was more wildlife (crocodiles, toucans, howler monkeys) on the starboard side as we entered the canal, but it was distant and difficult to see. We were in the right hand lane, so the port side offered a great view of the workings of the canal itself.

We also did the small boat excursion, and had a wonderful experience. We made it through the canal in near-record time, and had plenty of time back at the port to shop and watch the Panamanian dancers. Here is a quick review I wrote about the small boat tour:

We took the panama canal by boat excursion, which was long but wonderful. This involves boarding a motorcoach for a 1.5 hour ride to a yacht harbor on the other side of gatun lake. You then travel by small boat through the rest of the canal, including the other 2 sets of locks. Although it was amazing to transit the Gatun locks on the coral princess, it was an equally wonderful but very different experience being in the smaller ferry for the second two sets of locks (we could actually touch the walls of the lock chamber and feel the temperature difference as the water level dropped). It really was the best of both worlds!

Throughly enjoyed your photos of the Panama Canal. We will be on the Coral January 6, 2008 and look forward to a great trip. Thanks so much, it has whetted our appetite for our upcoming cruise.

Merci Beaucoup.

Bienvenue Iceberg2,

We are on the Island Princess Panama Canal crossing Jan. 5/08. I didn't realize that Princess has two ships going through at the same time. Is it necessary to leave the ship while traversing the canal or are we missing an opportunity to see sites that shouldn't be missed? We are travelling west to east. Have you looked into any excursions in other ports? If anyone has any ideas about what to see and do in Huatulco, Guatemala, Nicaragua or Costa Rica, I would love to hear about them!!

Thanks,

First, we were on the port side at 7 AM when the sun was coming up and I thought I was going to have heat stroke sitting on that balcony drinking hot coffee. I had to go inside, take a shower and finish watching the traverse on the TV w/the bridge cam.

Second, There are people from the ship on the side of the locks taking pictures of everyone on their balconies both still & video. I was sorry I didn't have any makeup on or combed my hair. I wasn't expecting to be greeting the public at that time! Needless to say, we did not purchase those.

Third, We did a tour w/Charlie Soto in Costa Rica and dollar for dollar we saw and did much more than any of the ships tours. The pier area is not very nice and the town is very poor. This is not the "high class" side of Costa Rica. We did purchase coffee at a local supermarket for a fraction of what they were selling it for at the souvenier stands. Vanilla is a bargain in Mexico, so if you like to bake or someone you know does, it makes a great gift. So does the coffee.

Fourth, I did write a very long (sorry) and comprehensive review which is on this board in which I detailed our different shore excursions.

This was a great cruise even if it was only 10 days. The ship is beautiful and the canal is very interesting. If you have any questions you can reach me at shofer1019@yahoo.com

AlainBob

Throughly enjoyed your photos of the Panama Canal. We will be on the Coral January 6, 2008 and look forward to a great trip. Thanks so much, it has whetted our appetite for our upcoming cruise.

Merci Beaucoup.

You're welcome ! :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask... And if you prefer to ask them in french, just email me off list... (alainbob @ sympatico dot ca).

Do you know that there is a french web site talking about cruises ? The site is "Le monde des croisières". We will have our 1rst "meeting" tomorow night (April 28th) in Laval. You would be very welcome to join !

Alain R.

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous cruise. My favorite so far. We had a full suite on Dolphin deck mid ship and had a great view. Also walked to the back of the ship onto an open deck for a view of the locks closing behind you. We also did the excursion through the canal on the smaller boat. You get a whole different perspective when you are in a small boat. We were the only boat in each of the locks so it was pretty awesome. It is a very long day and a bit expensive, but well worth the money in my opinion. I also read the book mentioned in the other posts. I could have led the tour myself after reading that! It is very in depth and very interesting if you are a history buff. Have a great time. Wish I was going again.

You're welcome ! :)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask... And if you prefer to ask them in french, just email me off list... (alainbob @ sympatico dot ca).

Do you know that there is a french web site talking about cruises ? The site is "Le monde des croisières". We will have our 1rst "meeting" tomorow night (April 28th) in Laval. You would be very welcome to join !

Alain R.

I took a peak at the website - I am an Anglophone and my French is terrible. Can read some things, but am very shy about speaking french in a group. Actually, we are going to Ottawa tomorrow, so we won't be in town. I am pleased to see that there is a french website as we do run into many francophone's on past cruises. I will check it out from time to time. Thanks again, Rhona

Archived