Tiki Hut Snorkel Park?

RNay

• 2 weeks later...

I have not done the ship's excursion but swam there on my own. If you have your own equipment there is no need to do a tour. Plus, wouldn't you rather relax on the beach then a dock? Here's the picture:

2229332560100017129S600x600Q85.jpg

The condos are on Little Divi Bay - follow the rock line to the dock area. That dock is the Tiki Hut. Anyone can swim to the snorkle area all around the dock. It seems like a long ways, but with fins and vest it is easy in calm waters. It is a $4 cab ride to little Divi Bay and anyone can use the beach. The pools are for hotel guests only. Chairs rent for $5. There is a restaurant and two bars on the beach.

Thanks for the info! I would really like to have beach access as well, so I'm considering something else. The Tiki Hut did sound like neat snorkeling for the kids, who not as experienced. I'll keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...

the beach area seems quite small--or is that just the photo? Is the beach water calm or rough? Was the beach crowded-we are thinking of a snorkel excursion to a more remote & hopefully less crowded spot...not sure yet...

the beach area seems quite small--or is that just the photo? Is the beach water calm or rough? Was the beach crowded-we are thinking of a snorkel excursion to a more remote & hopefully less crowded spot...not sure yet...

The section of beach in the photo above is at the Divi Resort on Little Bay.

The Tiki Hut snorkeling is that little speck along the rocks, well to the right. I've blown up a section of the original photo to better show the Tiki Hut.

I have photos of Divi's beach posted over in my PhotoBucket. The water is usually fairly calm, and the crowds are determined largely by how many cruise ships are in port on any given day.

gary

tikihut.jpg.be39513af2e362b8f6b27972536a47f5.jpg

We just got back; and did the Tiki Hut. I had never snorkeled before and thought it would be a good way to try it. I did enjoy it and would snorkel again. They have a little 'pool' at the end of the 'dock' that has a bottom about 4 1/2 ft deep. It was a good place to get comfortable. If your mask leaks, try another one. With what I've seen, the mask/snorkel are 'older style' without the 'drain hole' in the tube for water to flow out. We were also lucky because we were the only ship in port; only ~25 ppl on the 'raft' so there was plenty of room. I think it might get very crowded with more ppl. The boat ride over & back was v. rough (I loved it), and the 'raft' is constantly in motion. You might want to take some 'drugs' if you have a tendency to be motion sick.

We were on RC Explorer of the Seas. I can't give you a detailed review of the snorkeling cuz I have nothing to compare this to, being my first time. I have some pix for you to see as to what the area is like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travellinghunters/page5/

Since we were the only ship in port it was perfect; plenty of room & good individual attention.

gtaylor:

Thanks for posting your links...You have a great album there at photobucket! The beach at Divi still looks small But I noticed that in your last two shots of Baie Rouge there is a beach acrosss from where the pics were shot...do you know what that was?....it also looks small but finer sand...

I am sure we will find something we like (either a beach or snorkel trip) but we are spoiled because we live in a great beach area Long Island NY & also have access to greta beaches on the W Coast of Fla... Thanks again for your post

<snip> I noticed that in your last two shots of Baie Rouge there is a beach acrosss from where the pics were shot...do you know what that was <snip>

Thanks.

All of the beach shots in that album are of Baie Rouge. The last few were taken of the beach from the water as we sailed by on the Golden Eagle.

The beach is over 3/4 mile long, but the commercial bar/restaurant facilities (both of them) are located at the Eastern end of the beach at the parking area.

See the Google Earth shot posted over in my PhotoBucket.

th_BaieRouge.jpg

(click)

gary

• 4 months later...

Love the pics! What was the motorcycle tour you went on? Were they harleys? Did you book that thru the cruise ship?

Thanks a ton!

We were on RC Explorer of the Seas. I can't give you a detailed review of the snorkeling cuz I have nothing to compare this to, being my first time. I have some pix for you to see as to what the area is like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/travellinghunters/page5/

Since we were the only ship in port it was perfect; plenty of room & good individual attention.

Archived