Roll Call Pride, 3-17-08, Ft. Laud. to Lisbon

Ms. J.

For you March Pride Crossing Sailor's ~~~

An idea came to mind yesterday. As some of us will have PLAID clothing items we really don't want to pack and take home, we could give these to our Stewardess's, Waitstaff, Bartenders, etc. (any favorite Staff members) for them to enjoy a Crew Party after we disembark in Lisbon. Also, we'll have neckties we'll want to simply leave on board ~~~~~ I'll ask a'round if any Guests would like to pool their "love gifts" for the Crew Fund ~~~I feel we would have enough $$'s to even host their Crew Party. On several previous cruises we've done this and the Crew could not have been more appreciative ! We just all sign a thank you card and pool our monies.

I will then give it to the Crew Purser ~~they post the thank you card in the Crew Mess Hall on their bulletin board. After we disembark, usually the next week, they enjoy their party! The Ex. Chef cooks for them along with the Maitre'D ~~~~this is an easy way to thank the entire Pride Crew ~~from top to bottom!

Anyone interested?:p

Martita B.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm disappointed that Sky Bartender Mr. Nelson will be disembarking on March 17th ~~I had heard he requested staying on the Pride until Lisbon ~~but, he certainly deserves a much needed vacation. Granny reported Ian will be at the Sky Bar.

Does anyone know if Felipe will be with us? Also, anyone know who will be Pride Executive Housekeeper? Assn. Housekeeper?

Keeping my fingers crossed for smooth seas and blue skies this year!

Also hoping we don't experience any Atlantic "hic ups!"

See 'ya aboard!

MB

Since he's from Portugal, wouldn't Felipe stay on until Lisbon? I think I remember learning that Sally Grainger will still be onboard as the Head Houskeeper. But things change. I shall be interested in hearing what kind of a hair-do Ian will be sporting at the Sky Bar.

Jane

I'm hoping Felipe will be aboard ~~as he loves the Portuguese "nata pasteis" I always take him a few from Funchal. He rarely has the time to go ashore.

Speaking of pasteis, for the Sailor's planning to join us on the Belem Pier at 5 p.m. on March 30th, do stop at the very best pasteis coffee house in Lisbon, "Pasteis de Belem.":D

MB

Felipe doesn't live in Portugal anymore Jane. But maybe he wants to visit family. Marja

Thanks, I didn't know that. When we chat, he always talks about 'home'. I figured it was still Portugal.

...Felipe... He rarely has the time to go ashore.

On my April/May Pride 2007 cruise, I often saw Felipe strolling the towns where we visted. Perhaps the Crossings are more demanding? :confused:

(We are talking about the same Felipe, asst. Maitre - right?)

Matt

Felipe, I know on the Crossing's, supervises, along with the Purveyor, loading supplies from the pier to the Pride. He usually yells at me, "bring me a couple of nata's!" And I do!

I miss him in the dining room as he's Assn. Maitre'D in "2" ~~I rarely dine in the Veranda. He' a real character.:D

MB

Jane

I would have brought you a couple of the fabulous "nata's!"

True story.......in March 2007 I didn't disembark but stayed aboard for the next 2 weeks. In Lisbon my driver, Miguel, picked Miss A. and me up ~~we drove over to the Lapa Palace for a glass of wine, then stopped by the pastry shop for a "sack" of natas, then went back to the Pride. I had bought the Bridge Boy's a dozen pastries (packaged) and ran up to the Bridge when I reboarded. I went up and in the "back door" of the Bridge ~~~Kai met me and started apologizing."Oh Martha, I'm sorry, but you can not come in......the immigration officer's are in here..." I said, "here, Kai, pass these!"

Turned and walked off ~~~ Later at the Sky Bar, Captain Toenis T. came up and said, "well Martha, you saved our lives......none of us had eaten a bite and we devoured your pastries!" I had been quite embarrassed but after hearing the Boy's hadn't eaten I was glad I took the nata's!

MB

Jini

Yes, the Captain's try to route us as Southern as they can ~~Mother Nature, as you know, can not be trusted, however. The last couple of Spring crossing's have been chilly and a wee rough.

Bring a few sweaters and jackets for the Sky Bar just in case it is chilly ~~ I always take a inexpensive WalMart "fold-up" rain cape.

We've had rain in Funchal a time or two ~~also in Lisbon.

As I chill in the dining room I take wraps and jackets.

Let's hope for warm and sunny crossing days!:p

See 'ya soon!

MB

Hi, everyone....

As some of you know, this is my first SB cruise. On other lines I tip the room service attendent when he/she brings breakfast. Now, don't roll your eyes at me, I know that Seabourn says "never required or expected", and I also know about the crew fund.....so does anyone on SB tip for room service? Just a side light....I was on Regent in December and all servers gladly accepted tips, even though the tips were supposed to be included...hence "all-inclusive".....just curious. Thanks, Jini

Hi, everyone....

As some of you know, this is my first SB cruise. On other lines I tip the room service attendent when he/she brings breakfast. Now, don't roll your eyes at me, I know that Seabourn says "never required or expected", and I also know about the crew fund.....so does anyone on SB tip for room service? Just a side light....I was on Regent in December and all servers gladly accepted tips, even though the tips were supposed to be included...hence "all-inclusive".....just curious. Thanks, Jini

I think that tipping is individual..and yes we do it. I would suggest that rather than doing it during the trip...wait till the end..ask the desk for envelopes..and write a note to each with your cash in the envelope. We leave the one for the stewardess in the room the last night...and we give the others for staff to the Maitre d to distribute. We prefer to give small amounts to several, than large amounts to a few. You can leave these at the desk for him. They are always delighted with your token of appreciation. I keep a running list of those who are most special to us during the trip. It is difficult, as the staff are all wonderful. Lola:)

The guys who deliver room service will probably not want to accept the tip if you offer it, but they will take it if you insist. Like others recommend, the best way to tip is do take your bulk offerings to the purser's desk for donation to the "crew fund"! :)

One thing that is very important is to be named specifically in the Cruise Evaluation form. One crew memeber I tip if I see him, is the man who brings (lugs) my luggage to the suite. I also tip the servers who accompany me to the Lounge for registration and then to my suite.

I now tip in Euros as well. I have a fear that the US$ will soon be like the pre-Euro Italian lira. Lola's suggestion of keeping a list is spot on.

Thanks to you all....it's pretty much the way I thought, like it was on Regent. I gave my favorite bartenders/wait staff an envelope and my room stewardess....and also will give to the crew fund. Take care, all and have some fun today. Jini

Jini

Another idea you might want to consider is to take a small gift to your Stewardess ~~a 'lit stuffed animal, or a small box of chocolates. I usually take the Girl's funny socks, tiara's~something they can enjoy afterhours or to wear to the Crew Parties.

They appreciate we Guests thinking of them!:p

See 'ya on Monday!

MB

I must say that I find this discussion of tipping against the policy of the cruiseline a little distressing.

I come from a society where tipping is a 'foreign' concept. It is something we have learnt to adapt to when travelling overseas, but are nonetheless uncomfortable with. To us it demeans the relationship beween server and served.

One of the reasons we chose Seabourn for our next cruise was it's all inclusive policy, which we understood meant that the people who served us on-board were paid comensurate with this policy and did not rely on extracting tips from passengers.

We will certainly be disappointed if there is even the whiff of expectation from any crew of a tip for services rendered.

As far as I can tell, forcing the servers to accept tips only encourages bad behaviour from them!

BTW, on all our previous cruises where tipping is expected, we have always tipped more than the recommended amounts.

We are also quite comfortable with the notion of the 'Crew Fund' and think that is an excellent way of making a contribution, should we see fit.

Steve.

cands - I've never seen any Seabourn crew member expect any type of gratuity. Like I said in an earlier post, they will probably refuse it if offered, yet take it if forced.

There is a lot of discussion on this board regarding guest behavior that goes beyond the grain of what is typical:

1 - suggestions to not bother the stewardesses too late - they work hard enough

2 - don't order dinner in your room, the staff is worked too hard

3 - inviting crew to guest entertainment venues.

I sail and pay the price for a Seabourn cruise in order to be pampered. Just do what you are comfortable with and don't worry about the rest! :)

Archived