Roll Call Pride, 3-17-08, Ft. Laud. to Lisbon

Ms. J.

Peachy,

Wellll, you are ahead of me! I have only one PLAID jacket, but am shopping for my "Morning Social Champagne Pajamas!" At J.B's P.J. party, next March, I will be doing the honors of "Sabrage"~~~yes, I will behead the champagne bottle with my trusty sabre! While aboard the Prinsendam, the Sommelier taught me how to decapitate the champagne bottle! Oh, don't worry~~I'll stand out in the corridor while sabraging~~~fun, huh?

Oh, and we'll have a new Captain for the TA Crossing. Master Mark Dexter (English) will be joining the Pride this summer. We'll all welcome him and will certainly make him feel most comfortable.

Be sure and bring the world's UGLIEST tie in order to win 1st place in the contest~~~who knows what the BIG prize will be???

Warm hug's sent to you:p

• 2 weeks later...

Ms. J,

Oh, "the PLAID" certainly isn't a matter of seriousness or a matter of much thought. For the past 6 years on the Pride Spring Crossing we've just enjoyed a theme. A number of us look forward to finding and taking a few "themed clothing items" ~~~ the coming

March 17th 2008 theme was suggested by Mr. J.B. (I have accused him of wanting to justify his purchasing an expensive, royal kilt regalia--Blackwatch)

It's fun to have something to look forward to~~and we do have FUN! The Crossing's are always magical as we never know what to expect! King Neptune is full of surprises!

So happy you'll be joining us~~~

Martita B.

Our "plaid" is in the organizing stage...but not for morning AND evening!! Have to wear the same old all day.....I have a couple of ideas of ugly ties due to recent events........will work on that when I get home......;)

Martita B.

Thanks for putting me at ease. I'm sure I can get creative (I am one of those "artsy" types)....and now I'm searching for the ugliest tie....that shouldn't be too difficult -my friend has some from the 1940's!

Oh goody~~~the "Ugliest Tie" event will certainly be a 1st on a Seabourn Yacht as we really don't do tacky or ugly:confused: ha ha

I called a resale shop this morning and ask the owner to save me dated VERY ugly neckties and I'll bring 10 or so for those that want to play with us~~~and anyone else that would like to bring a few, pleeeeze do so! Some guests aboard might not have heard of the fun afternoon "affair" before boarding in Ft. Laud.

Probably three judges~~Captain, Hotel Manager and a surprise

celebrity judge!

(knowing Squire Peachy, he'll enter an ugly thin PLAID tie and WIN lst place)

Happy shopping!;)

Martita B.

Jini: So glad you are getting into the spirit of the crossing festivities! Miss Pinkie is Seabourn's Mistress of Merrymaking and her parties and affairs are just clean fun and phooey! I think after meeting people and being on board for a few days you will feel most comfortable with your fellow Pride-ite crossers!

Pinkie: Whaddya mean and ugly thin tie? I have been looking for a real wide sucker so I can go to The Club after the contest and use it as a bib and have a few of Cheffy's "Pigs in a Blanket" with horseradish - mustard sauce to accompany my pre-dinner drink. :eek: ;) I have been searching and may have a candidate or two. Like the "Easter Bonnet Hat Parade" contest, I think it will be very close and a tough decision for the judges. Quite by accident, while shopping, I found a suitable tie to wear the evening of embarkation to commemorate St. Patrick's Day.

All Pride crossers, let's keep the dreaming and scheming! :D

Peachy

Ohhh Lordy~~I had completely forgotten about March 17th~~many thanks for your reminder! I'll make a note to take Nelson an appropriate "outfit" for our Sky Bar Sail-a-bration!

O.K. then~~~ a very wide and ugly tie! I've been e-mailing Cheffy Markus and I do believe he, again will be entering the tie contest~~~ha ha (what "ugly tie"would an Executive Chef wear??)

I'm sure J.B. will again host his Champagne/Caviar Pajama Morning Social~~~PLAID P.J.'s folks!

Yes, "fun and phooey" on the high seas! ~~~aren't you glad I'm not hosting a "Murder on the Seabourn Pride" mystery party!!!

Have a good week!

Pinkie

Jini,

If you would like to plan a small cocktail party or even host a small Sky Grill dinner (these are up in the Sky Bar area) please feel more than free to make plans~~quite easy as you will need to bring only:

invitations (fill in the blanks) and perhaps a few table decorations.

You mentioned you are of the "artsy type"~~~grrrreat! It's truly mucho fun to occasionally host a small party aboard a Seabourn Yacht as the excellent Staff is quite creative and so willing to help in any/all ways for a successful party. I'll be happy to help you if you do decide to have a 'lit "Atlantic get together."

Peachy is also a creative genius and would also have wonderful ideas

and suggestions :D

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Martita.....

I think I should have my "Seabourn experience" first before trying a party. If I think of something fun, I'll let you know. How does the staff help? Food? Serve drinks? Any charges to the host/hostess? I haven't been on a cruise line that's done these parties....sounds like lots of fun! Do you know if there are any rules to the ugly tie contest?

I'm thinking of you all, and wishing March would hurry up!

Jini

Jini,

To host a party a word with the Hotel Manager and the Maitre'D is all that's necessary. The food and drinks are free of charge. It's much easier and more convenient to have a party on a Crossing because of the sea days or "nights."

NO rules as to the "World's Ugliest Tie" contest! Those wishing to enter just wear or bring a necktie! Kibitzer's welcome!:confused:

In the past if the sea was not too rough the Captain would host his "Tug of War" some afternoon~~but the past 2 years the Atlantic wouldn't permit the game! I hope next March we can enjoy this event! Teams are made up of Crew members~~~it's alot of fun!

Have a good week!:p

Martita B.

Jini,

After a couple of days on the Crossing you will have a circle of friends which you might enjoy inviting to your special hosted dinner.

You could easily make reservations for a Sky Grill dinner~~send out invitations and perhaps even decorate your reserved table. This type entertaining on Seabourn is a snap! Or you may decide to forego a dinner party and simply "enjoy the ride!";)

Martita B.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings, all.....

I have been cruising the SB threads and I'm so impressed....not only with the quality of service, food, etc., but also by the passengers - everyone is so friendly.

I realize that there is no required tipping, but do SB cruisers offer any tips, like to cabin stewards/stewardesses? Or is considered best not to tip? I just want to be clear on this. Thanks for the info....Jini

There have been quite a number of discussions about this, usually buried in various threads. Briefly, if you wish to do something extra, a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund is the best way to do it. You simply go to the Purser's Desk and make your donation. Some provide small gifts (some, like Marita, are a bit more creative). Others still believe in individual crew privately receiving a cash tip.

Seabourn's line is tipping is neither required or expected. Most guests do not provide extra gratuities. The Crew Welfare Fund is seen as the most appropriate way to keep the concept of no tipping in place and is my choice.

Ultimately it is your choice yours...and you will be welcomed back with open arms no matter if or how you do it.

It becomes a bit difficult to tip individual crew members, as they are all so good you would need to tip the lot! The Welfare Fund is a good way to do something for them all...we also tipped our Stewardess as she put up with us for a very long time.;)

I make my donation toward the end, but not at the end, of my cruises. I consider it a "thank you", which is kind of hard to be seen as a thank you if the service hasn't yet been given.

I will be tipping the head waiter at the New York Jets Stadium Club tonight - the first pre-season game - because there it is a definite bribe to get nicely seated for the upcoming season. That, most certainly, is not a thank you!

Grrrreat news for Pride March 17th Crossers!:p

My good friends from St. Petersburg, Florida (seasoned blue water Sailors)will be joining us on our voyage~~~1st time on Seabourn. I have been encouraging them to "take the leap" and yesterday they booked. They are already planning PLAID "gladrags!":rolleyes: Also searching for ugly/tacky neckties!

Upon a suggestion from Florida friends they plan to take the train to Ft. Lauderdale on March 18th~~~has anyone else used the train in Florida? Sure sounds easy and fun.

My favorite toast before dinner is: "The best Islands in the world,

they float and move.....their names are the Pride, the Legend and the Spirit!" Salud!

Happy Sailing

Martita B.

Martha: My friends and I took the train from Jacksonville to Winter Haven and found it a wondrful way to go! Now I realize that trip was much shorter but I would guess it is the same train. The seats are very comfortable (footrests!) Not much in the way of food but maybe there are first class accomodations that would have better fare. I would certainly recommend it wholeheartedly except for the luggage part. That might be a problem. BTW, DH and I signed on for 3/17/08 yesterday. Hopefully no pirates this time!

Jean,

Soooo happy to hear of your booking the Pride March Crossing!

As always, it will be a most fun and magical voyage~~~many seasoned Seabourn sailors will be aboard:p

I think I remember you posting that you had sailed years ago with Captain Erik Anderssen~~I'm not certain if he'll Master the Crossing or Captain Dexter will be aboard. I know Captain Anderssen boards the Pride in Gloucester, Oct. 19th. So it very well might be Captain Dexter~~~

NO, there will be NO pirates on the March Cross~~~just a few 'ole merrymakers dressed in PLAID ~~theme is, "Glad in Plaid!"

Please tell your hubby to pack a very tacky necktie! One afternoon there will be a contest, "World's Ugliest Tie" contest up in the Sky Bar. Should be a scream~~~

Again, happy we'll all be together once again on a journey to Lisboa.

Martita B.

Archived