Roll Call Pride, 3-17-08, Ft. Laud. to Lisbon

Ms. J.

Oh, Martita....How wonderful that sounds! I will make those plans for next year! You are like the First Lady of Seabourn - or the Queen of Seabourn!

I think someone needs to take a video of that awesome ceremony - and put it online. I will look forward to it one day. Thanks for the story!

Jini

My TA booked a flight from Lisbon on March 29, at 11:50am, business class. Stops are in Newark, Las Vegas and then on to San Diego...(true, it's a long day - or actually 2 days!).

The cruise, for me, is the vacation, and then it's time to go home. I have my own business, so I don't like to leave it for too long, not to mention my darling 5 little girl dogs

I noticed you are from Lake Forest. Is that the same one in Orange County?

It looks like you will be flying home on Continental. I too will be flying Continental one-stop to Lisboa to join the Legend for her fall crossing this Nov. I fully understand your need, as a business owner, to keep tabs on things and not be away for too long (and missing your darling four-legged welcoming committee at home). However, a 2 day trek home is not my idea of how to end a Seabourn holiday. So I often use an extra day of vacation to get back to reality and start getting over the jet lag. But flying business class does help in this area.

Yes, I live in the Lake Forest located in Orange County. Didn't know we were neighbors! ;)

I think someone needs to take a video of that awesome ceremony - and put it online. I will look forward to it one day.

I will be on hand for this event. My digital camera has the capability to take short movie clips so I may do this and/or take still photos and have my movie and/or slideshow available online.

If you can't wait until after the March crossing, our "Norm2002" has an excellent video of the Pride sailing under the London Tower Bridge with background music and he even spliced in those wonderful horn blasts as Lady Pride departed. Click on the link below to view or download Norm's great video:

If you have trouble viewing or dowloading the video, I have it on my laptop and will be happy to share it with you during our March crossing.

Last night I was dreaming about the Pride leaving Lisboa down the Targus River and conjured up the following images. Actually, our photographer extrodinaire Norm2002 took these photos in March 2005. We will be at the Belem Pier between the Belem Tower and The Monument of the Navigators, two of my favorite Lisboa phto ops. So, if any Pride crossers are staying on for a day or so, please come and join us! :)

41501340.D650386a.jpg

Here Comes The Pride!

41501341.D650395a.jpg

Miss Pinkie Getting Ready To Celebrate Easter Sunday And "Paa Gjensyn" To the Pride

41501358.D650427a.jpg

Mr. JB And Miss Martita Contemplating Thier Next Seabourn Adventure (Note the fisherman in the near background totally oblivious to the celebration. Part of the Belem Tower is in the upper right of the photo.)

Peachy,

I hope it's not raining next March ~~3 years in a row, we stood out in the pourin' down rain! Last year it was sunny and very pleasant.

We'll get the word out as to the "Adios to the Pride" Pier event while Crossing ~~~

Thank you for posting Norm's photos.

Pinkie

Matt,

You are correct! I had forgotten I stayed aboard in Lisbon for the

next cruise in 2006 and no one organized or went to the Belem Pier for that afternoons sailing.

I think WE had the best time on the following Lisbon-Lisbon voyage.

We had an interesting group aboard if I remember correctly ~~~;)

MB

Hello, all....

Just a quick note so you won't worry about me. Thursday I leave from my home port here in San Diego for a round trip Hawaii cruise on HAL's Zaandam. We'll talk more when I get back.....

Jini

Hi Jini,

In Feb./Mar. 2006 I took a similar itinerary from my home port of Los Angeles RT to Hawaii on QM2. I had a blast and you will too on the Zaandam. It was cold, windy and choppy going over and with QM2 zipping along at 30 knots that it blew the salt spray into my face and glasses so hard that it stung and my glasses had to be rinsed off every few laps while deck walking. I absolutely loved that! It was hot in Honolulu, Kahului (Maui) and Kona on the big island Hawaii. For the return to LA, it was cool while the sea was like a mill pond.

Bon Voyage!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Paul....

Just returned on Friday, and you were right - it's a great itin. Love those sea days. This cruise, the weather was warm going and coming -and beautiful seas. Met some fun people. I'm taking this same itin next October 22, 2008 - except this time on Celebrity Mercury. I found the food on Celebrity better than Zaandam. I just loved sailing from my home port. This was the first time I tried that and I know there'll be many more times.

My next cruise is Dec. 3rd, 2007 from Auckland to Los Angeles on Regent's Mariner. 19 days and 11 at sea....yeah!

Jini

I think the Port of San Diego was also partly responsible for my interest in trying a cruise! We have stayed a few times at the Holiday Inn (taking the grandkids to Disney and Animal Parks).....and most mornings I would wake up and a huge cruise ship would be almost in my window! I have dozens of photos of different ships.....even The World was there one day....and it was my dream to win the lottery so I could buy an apartment on The World.......

Granny,

I have good news about our flight out of Lisboa. My TA has it set up that I receive emails whenever my flight numbers or departure and arrival times change. Since I book so far in advance, there are usually several changes along the way. Well, our flight out of Lisboa now leaves at 7 :55am so you get an extra 10 minutes of sleep! I thought you would like to know that. :rolleyes:

Hi GrannyLorr, and all....

Great story about San Diego and cruising. Before I left on this last one, I was posting with a guy in San Diego who said he worked by the pier and would watch the ships come and go, and finally, he decidedto try it. I loved leaving from S.D., as I get on the freeway and 20 minutes later, I'm on the ship. I took my time and had lunch with friends at the Holiday Inn, watching the Zaandam from the window....a really great time! Take care, all. Jini

• 2 weeks later...

Jini,

I have friends on the Regent Mariner Dec. 3rd ~~sounds like a wonderful voyage.:p

Also, I believe we'll enjoy Captain Mark Dexter on our March 17th Pride Crossing. I refigured his schedule and I believe he'll rejoin the Pride in S. America a'round Jan. 23rd (perhaps flying into Santiago) I visited with Captain Dexter briefly on the Gloucester pier ~~he was delightful the short time we chatted. He'll be an excellent judge for the "World's Ugliest Necktie Review & Contest!" I am thinking of taking him a PLAID bowtie or necktie for the: wearing of the "GLAD" clothing day!:confused: Carumba!

Yesterday I learned we will enjoy 2 more great, seasoned, regular Seabourn Crosser's ~~~they are from NY City ~~lots of fun, real hoots!:D We've had many fun times together on the Pride Crossing's.

Have a good weekend!

Martita B.

Sailor's

Capt. Mark Dexter will rejoin the Pride Dec. 15th in the Carib. I was mistaken as to our Captain on March 17th Pride Crossing ~~~Our Master will be Captain Erik Anderssen. (Miami is still "shifting" the Captains a'round a bit)

Bonnie & George ~~~soooo happy to hear you'll be aboard both the Legend 16th voyage AND the Pride Crossing! George bring a very ugly necktie and enter "World's Ugliest Tie" contest! Should be alot of fun! Don't forget to pack a few PLAID items for our "GLAD Day!"

Happy week!

Martita B.

Yes, it's always a pleasure to see old friends from previous cruises ~~~I've not seen the "Rad Sailor's" in quite some time as I've not been aboard a Regent ship. Whadda think about Apollo buying Regent? I had heard the "C. family" was having feud's and fuss's ~~guess they will focus mainly on their hotels now.

I have a grrrreat idea as to 1st prize for "The Ugliest Necktie" contest:confused: ~~~stay tuned!

See 'ya in 'ole Ft. Laud next March 17th! Wear GREEN!;)

Martita B.

Martita...

Are your friends on the Dec. 3rd Regent Mariner cruise posting on this or the LCT board? There's quite an active thread on LCT. If you give me their names, I'll already know them when I meet them. It's getting close. Have some fun today. Jini

Sailor's,

Hopefully our special TA Pride "Necktie" contest will be a high-light of the Crossing ~~~special selected judges and very special prizes! :D (*I've been working on these prizes) We'll be presenting 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the "Ugliest Necktie" ~~a special 1st place for the ladies who will enter neckties ~~son's, late husband's, ex's, brother's, gentleman friends, etc. If you know of Sailor's that are booked, please tell them of the contest. I will be bringing extra neckties for those wanting to enter, but weren't aware of the contest before boarding in Ft. Laud.

I think we'll gather in the Club around 3 p.m., as some days it's quite windy up in the Sky Bar ~~just more comfortable for everyone in the Club. Also a microphone for the judges ~~~

Anyone have suggestions or ideas as to this sea day event? Please post any and all!

Have a nice weekend! Gobble, gobble:p

Martita B.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrrreat news Sailor's :p As I mentioned I have been diligently working on our prizes for the "World's Ugliest Necktie" Contest -

March 08 Crossing.

I received a reply e-mail yesterday afternoon from Mr. Micky Arison's Assistant, as to mailing me a necktie of "Uncle Micky's" for our big 1st place prize!! I had written and explained our yearly Crossing contest's and kindly ask if Mr. Micky would enjoy being a part of our fun and helping to make our Pride necktie contest a big success. His answer was "Yes!" I think it is most generous and very supportive of Mr. Arison to want to be involved in our Pride TA voyage merrymaking!

The other contest prizes, 2nd and 3rd ~~also the ladies 1st place will be announced later ~~~these are fabulous prizes as well! Stay tuned! ;)

Martita B.

• 1 month later...

Hello, all......

I have just returned from my 19-day Pacific crossing on the Regent Mariner. A fabulous cruise and Regent was superb.

Does anyone know if our Seabourn spring crossing is booked? I might have a friend that wants to go. I'll check the website, too.

Take care and have some fun today.

Jini

Archived