Roll Call Pride, 3-17-08, Ft. Laud. to Lisbon

Ms. J.

I have thought that one of the interesting facts was that the 'mother' ship, from where the little pirate boats were launched, apparently issued a "SOS' in an attempt to lure the Spirit towards it. (At least that was my understanding.)

Our Norm is too busy planning a wedding to comment, but he certainly was a st*r. There is also a Travel Channel documentary on Piracy which featured the Spirit as well.

I do not expect such high-seas actions on my Spirit adventure, but I was a bit taken aback with the comment on the Luxor trip that the travelers are accompanied by armed guards.

Jane: Your understanding is correct. We were told that they put out a distress signal but our Capt. couldn't find any ship that had their id number or whatever it is they use for identification so he knew it was not a legitimate SOS. He was our hero that day I can tell you.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know whether Seabourn can get better prices on Business class?

Not in my experience, especially with the one-way flights. What I do is purchase my flights as soon as possible after they are loaded into the airline reservation system (330 days before flight departure) to get the best excursion business class fares. I have been most fortunate in using this approach with fares 50 to 70 percent off full-fare business class.

For subject crossing, I booked full fare coach on AA for free upgrade to first class for non-stop flight to FLL and got a decent one-stop business class flight from LIS to LAX via ZRH on Swiss International. I will have to stay overnight in LIS after the cruise since the flight to ZRH departs at 7:45 am. GrannyLorr and her DH are also taking this flight, but a few days after me.

To know for sure, get an airfare quote from Seabourn and do some airfare shopping yourself. I think you can do better on your own.

For our March Pride Crossing I fly Continental to Ft. Laud, then Continental, 1st class back to Newark, Houston, etc. I believe the flight is around 1:30 p.m. (I'll be staying in Portugal a couple of days after the Cross)

Continental uses Air France Club in the Lisbon airport~~quite nice!

Good wines and excellent food and snacks! Also a great location in the airport.

Who plans on spending a night or so after our Crossing? Please let me know.

MB

Scalawag :p

Miss Granny,

Please save Sat. March 29th, a'round 5 p.m. in Lisbon for a fabulous "farewell and goodbye" party for the Pride ship~~at the Belem Pier! I always bring my Seabourn Pride flag and we all wave to the ship as they leave on the Targus River! It's been a ritual for a number of years! Soooo much fun, as all the Guests, Staff and Crew hang over the rails, waving adios to all of us! The Captain plays a 'lit tune for us on his ship horn.We bring Champagne and wine ~~also fresh white flower stems to toss in the river. It's a very moving ceremony~~:p

Everyone staying in Lisbon the night of March 29th is invited to join us at the Pier at 5:00 p.m.

We'll visit about the Pier Party aboard the Pride during the Cross.

Martita B.

• 3 weeks later...

Ms. J.,

Are you planning to stay in Lisbon after the Crossing? If you plan on spending the night please join Pride-ite Sailors at the Belem Pier at 5 p.m. on March 30th for the "Adios to the Pride Festivities."

This has been a fun ritual for several years!

Martita B.

Hey Jini,

Airport transfers in Lisboa are not a problem, just the airport. You can purchase a group (bus) or individual car transfer from the Shore Excursion manager onboard (a request form is automatically sent to your suite) or taxis are plentiful just outside the Customs area. Lisboa airport is always a zoo so allow plenty of time for your departing flight. I would recommend not taking a flight earlier than 11:00 am (you may still have to hustle). Or do as Miss Pinkie suggests and stay one night in Lisboa to help reduce some of the stress.

Flying out of Lisboa is like flying out of LHR or LGW. If you haven’t you don’t go to your airline’s ticket counter (it doesn’t exist) but to the check-in counter number for your specific flight. The monitors aren’t much help either. So, I avail myself of Seabourn’s wonderful Luggage Valet Service and travel sans luggage except for my carryon. The last afternoon onboard, I check in for my flight and print out my boarding passes for my flights home and bypass the check-in mob scene and go straight to security. This makes air travel much more civilized. ;)

Peachy,

I am thinking you posted awhile back that you are staying in Lisbon on March 30th ~~is this correct? Please make plans now to join us at the Belem Pier at 5 o'clock! We'll visit about the plans aboard.

It's an unforgettable experience ~~~

Oh a friend gave me THE ugliest necktie I think I ever saw ~~it has

red and pink kisses all over it!!:confused: If you'd like to wear it you're more than welcome to: "be my guest!" I'll bring it.

Hug's,

Pinkie

Are there likely to be huge queues at around 5am? We were planning on taking the transfer bus to the airport, and leaving most of our luggage in their storage area, then continuing on into Lisbon with only cabin size bags. Of course that means on the day of departure we would have to get to the airport very very early to collect the luggage again.....does this sound feasible or not?

Are there likely to be huge queues at around 5am? We were planning on taking the transfer bus to the airport, and leaving most of our luggage in their storage area, then continuing on into Lisbon with only cabin size bags. Of course that means on the day of departure we would have to get to the airport very very early to collect the luggage again.....does this sound feasible or not?

Granny - I'm just curious on why you are doing that...? :confused: You literally have to go through Lisbon to get to the airport from the pier. How many nights are you staying in Lisbon? How are you getting from the Airport to your hotel in Lisboa? It might make more sense to just take your luggage with you.

GrannyLorr,

I'm in agreement with Matt. I think it would be simple to take a Taxi to your hotel from the Cruise pier. Store your luggage in your room, then just take it all with you to the airport.

The airport is a short distance from the City Centre and I've never seen the road very busy.

MB

Granny - I'm just curious on why you are doing that...? :confused: You literally have to go through Lisbon to get to the airport from the pier. How many nights are you staying in Lisbon? How are you getting from the Airport to your hotel in Lisboa? It might make more sense to just take your luggage with you.

Ohhhhhhh I see.......never having been to Lisbon I sort of thought the airport would be closer to the pier......no idea why I thought that.....and we just wanted to get rid of all our heavy luggage! But seems just a large taxi to fit all our bags will be the way to go, do they have van type taxis? Thanks for that info......we are staying 3 nights in Lisbon

Pinkie,

You are correctomundo regarding my one night stay in Lisboa after the crossing before flying home the next morning. My hotel plans are not finalized yet; but if all goes well at the Lapa Palace before Lady Legend arrives for the Fall Crossing, I might stay there again.

Thanks for the offer of your UGLIEST tie. I already have a pretty darn Ugly tie to enter. However, I am always looking for an even uglier one! If I can't decide, I will bring them all and make a final entry decision while onboard and donate the "discards" to any sailors not aware of the afternon Sky Bar funtime event for those who wish to participate.

GrannyLorr,

There will be a zillion Taxi's outside the Lisbon Cruise Terminal. J.B. and I will be using our regular car/driver and if there is no "van" available we'll have Miguel call one for you. Taking all your luggage straight to your hotel will be the easiest. Also there are two

DHL locations in Lisbon if you need to send anything to your home.

Peachy,

We'll visit aboard as to "Pride's Farewell" Pier party!

I will also be bringing ugly ties for anyone wanting to enter the contest ~~~you can look at the red lips tie and decide which you would like to wear.

Have a grrrreat weekend!:p

Pinkie

Hi, Paul....

Thanks to you and Martita for the good advice. My TA booked a flight from Lisbon on March 29, at 11:50am, business class. Stops are in Newark, Las Vegas and then on to San Diego...(true, it's a long day - or actually 2 days!). Maybe we can talk about the boarding pass thing onboard....and I'm glad to know I can purchase transport from the Excursion Desk.

The cruise, for me, is the vacation, and then it's time to go home. I have my own business, so I don't like to leave it for too long, not to mention my darling 5 little girl dogs

I noticed you are from Lake Forest. Is that the same one in Orange County?

I lived in Mission Viejo for 3 years.

Anyway, thanks again for the good advice. Jini

Jini,

Many years ago on a Pride Crossing Captain T.T. Soerensen hosted a

surprise party for me ~~during the party he presented me with a Seabourn ship's flag (yes, I cried) When we arrived in Lisbon my good friends, J.B. and Norman Fisher and I decided to go to the Belem Pier that afternoon and wave the flag at the Pride while she was sailing away on the Targus River ~~~much to our delight Captain Toenis T. played a 'lit tune for us. Since then every year we go and wave "Adios" to the Pride-ites! It IS a moving experience!

Everybody is hanging off the rails waving to us.....the Bridge Boy's yelling at us ~~even all the Deck Boys are waving from the stern ~~flashbulbs going off here and there ~~quite an unforgettable ceremony!

I am disappointed you won't be able to join us! Do make plans in 2009 to stay overnight in Lisboa.

Martita B.

Archived