Does Cingular (new ATT) cell phones work on HAL?

infohunter

We will be on the Rotterdam for the Dec 18th cruise to South America. While I hoping that I won't need the cell phone.... however one needs to be prepared.

In doing my research I found that SeaMobile does the cell connectivity HAL. SeaMobile says that my Cingular phone won't work.... Cingular first said yes and then on a different call said no.....

I'm curious if other cruises on the Rotterdam had cell phone access and if so what carriers you all used. So hoping that someone can comment about Cingular. Our phones are world enabled so will work when we are in port. The question is onboard at sea.

Appreciate everyones comments.

Thanks CrystalLady...

Yes it is quad band and I've international enabled it! We have had no issues while on land when traveling... this is just our second cruise the first one being in 1999 and that was a quickie 4 day one on RCCL. Feel like a newbie all over again.

Was concerned about this due to what SeaMobile said. Wish the various customer service reps knew the right answers. Which is why I'm asking this great group of folks.

Appreciate the quick response.

In doing my research I found that SeaMobile does the cell connectivity HAL. SeaMobile says that my Cingular phone won't work.... Cingular first said yes and then on a different call said no.....

You'd better be real careful and get something in writing from your cell provider.

While I was on the Veendam, I happened to be at the purser's desk resolving a different problem when I couldn't help but overhearing a very irrate passenger complaining that he couldn't get cell phone coverage onboard the ship despite being assured by HAL that his phone would work. He was extremely upset because he needed to stay in touch with his office and now couldn't access the SeaMobile facilities with his phone. I, on the other hand, had no trouble at all making a call on my Verizon phone from my cabin on the lower promenade deck on a sea day. Of course, I'm probably gonna cry when I get that bill ... but it was worth the peace of mind to me of being able to check in with my dad at home.

So, I guess it all depends on who your carrier is. I would suggest you get some clarification in person, from someone in the know, at the local office of your cell provider ... especially if it is critical that you be able to stay in touch.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We just got back on the world cruise on the Amsterdam and our Cingular phone would not work. The hotel manager told us that there was a contract that had not been signed. I am sure that eventually the service will go through. It worked fine on land. Make sure that you enable it for Cingular World which is an extra 5.95 a month.

Funny thing (to us anyway) happened on our Maasdam cruise this past March. A guy was on the promenade deck complaining that his new international cell phone wouldn't work. He had contacted HAL and purchased the phone just for this cruise. We were some miles away from Curacao, and my wife pulled out her Verizon phone and called her mother in Arizona.:rolleyes: :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Thanks all.... so far Cingular is saying no for the Rotterdam and SeaMobile is saying that is because the contract isn't signed.

No worries... Looks like we will be picking up another phone number before the cruise just for this. Now to figure out the best pricing.

Our quad band GSM phones are unlocked.... so anyone using T-mobile on HAL?

Appreciate everyones experiences.

You need to check with your carrier and find out if they have contracts with other carriers in the various ports where you will be. It depends on were the cell toers are located on whether you will get service.

Archived