'GOLDEN' ?? about formal night

KCfan

We are sailing on June 9th. My 23yr old DS is having trouble finding a suit he can afford.

Would it be acceptable for him to wear slacks a nice shirt and tie without a jacket?? I saw several young men aboard Carnival Conquest dressed this way.

How strick is the dress code on formal night aboard Princess?

I try to stay out of what is proper for formal night but I can tell you what I've seen. Men, even young and very young men, wear dark suits or tuxedoes for formal night in the main dining rooms. He may get by with dark trousers, dress shirt, tie and dark sport coat quite nicely.

Princess is usually a tiny bit stricter about the dress code than some other lines. I have seen 2 men denied admittance to the dining room due to infractions, shorts and tank tops. I'm sure he will look nice in whatever he wears and I hope he will feel completely in sync with the rest of the formal night diners.

If you have any consignment stores or thrift shops in your area, these are great places to find men's suits at a very low price. Do not assume that the merchandise at these stores is nothing but trash. A friend of mine recently bought a gorgeous navy suit for $10 at our local Goodwill Store. Fortunately, it fit perfectly and did not need any alterations. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks so much for all the input.

I'm sure we will come up with something. I never thought about looking at the consignment/thrift stores. That is an excellent idea.

Thanks again. I really appriciate all your advise.

Linda

One thing I have to ask as a parent. How old is your son? I ask as a lot of kids wear just a shirt and tie. If he's older than I would third the tux comment.

He is 23. That is why I was hoping he could get away without a jacket.

It would be great if you can rent a tux or find a suit at a consignment store, but he will be ok with a shirt and tie--I've seen quite a few younger men dressed like that, even on formal night. Try to make it a dressier-looking shirt and tie. To me, a black or other dark shirt with an elegant tie looks quite nice, even if it's not formal.

But be sure to check out the sales, and even places like Target and Wal-mart--they have suits at reasonable prices. No one is going to be checking your labels.

I just spoke to my in-laws who are in their mid 80s. They just got off the Diamond Princess. Well, my FIL was refused admittance to the dining room because he didn't have a tie or jacket. He did have a pair of nice slacks on and an equally nice, button down shirt. I really can't believe they made him go up to the Horizon Court and one of those nights he missed the lobster in the dining room! We're talking about a very conservative gentleman who always dresses nicely. I would have thought they could have allowed him in there. After all, it's not like he was wearing jeans and an old shirt. I just didn't realize Princess was quite that strict. I wonder if a guy can wear a nice sweater over a shirt and nice slacks. Does there need to be a tie underneath? Just want to know for the future in case my hubby ever decides to sail Princess.

I try to stay out of what is proper for formal night but I can tell you what I've seen. Men, even young and very young men, wear dark suits or tuxedoes for formal night in the main dining rooms. He may get by with dark trousers, dress shirt, tie and dark sport coat quite nicely.

Princess is usually a tiny bit stricter about the dress code than some other lines. I have seen 2 men denied admittance to the dining room due to infractions, shorts and tank tops. I'm sure he will look nice in whatever he wears and I hope he will feel completely in sync with the rest of the formal night diners.

I found a great sport coat for my husband at the Goodwill about 5 years ago. Like new. On sale for $1.00!

If you have any consignment stores or thrift shops in your area, these are great places to find men's suits at a very low price. Do not assume that the merchandise at these stores is nothing but trash. A friend of mine recently bought a gorgeous navy suit for $10 at our local Goodwill Store. Fortunately, it fit perfectly and did not need any alterations. Have a wonderful cruise!

It would be great if you can rent a tux or find a suit at a consignment store, but he will be ok with a shirt and tie--I've seen quite a few younger men dressed like that, even on formal night. Try to make it a dressier-looking shirt and tie. To me, a black or other dark shirt with an elegant tie looks quite nice, even if it's not formal.

But be sure to check out the sales, and even places like Target and Wal-mart--they have suits at reasonable prices. No one is going to be checking your labels.

did you see these young men on a Princess ship?

I found a great sport coat for my husband at the Goodwill about 5 years ago. Like new. On sale for $1.00!

I noticed you just returned from Golden. Did you see any young men without a jacket on formal night?

You know, after talking to my FIL who was refused admittance for not having a tie or jacket on the Diamond, I tried to remember exactly what I saw on the Golden! :confused: I honestly wasn't paying that close of attention. We had all women and two young boys at our table. The kids weren't too dressed up. My brother-in-law chose not to come to the dining room on formal night. Anyway, I know I saw some suits and ties. But, beyond that, I really can't tell you. And, a 10 day cruise at Early Traditional seating seems to have more older or middle aged guys. :rolleyes: Sorry I'm not much help!

I noticed you just returned from Golden. Did you see any young men without a jacket on formal night?

Thanks anyway, I know its hard to remember such details espically when you werent even looking for that kind of thing.

I think I found him a nice suit on ebay (can I say that on here?) that isnt too expensive. Havent ordered it yet, I am going shopping today to see what I can find.

Good thing we have plenty of time. :D

Archived