Rate Change Question

Christen99

We booked on RCCL to Alaska at the end of June, and paid for an inside guarantee (category Q I believe) with a residency discount. We have been bumped up to category L and it's a really nice location from what I've seen on the schematics and been told by a few people (it's on the end of a hallway near the staircase with only one neighbor). Do rates usually dip before the cruise, or do they go up as the cruise gets closer? I have seen some fluctuation, but it's gone up and then back down to where it was when we booked. Obviously I would want to get the credit if it goes down, but I don't want to obsess over checking the rates twice daily if the rates are going to just go up.

I'm a travel agents & rates usually tend to go up as the cruise gets closer. My company ALWAYS monitors the fare & offer any reduction in fare to our clients.

Once in awhile, there is a last minutre availability in a specific category & there will be a reduction.

I'm not really familiar with RCCL's policy, but generally if the price goes down after your final payment date you can't get the new price:( . They usually state "for new bookings only". You might be able to get some OBC, though. If you see the fare go down call your TA and ask. It can't hurt:) !

lvptravel,

Does your agency reduce the fare after final payment? My (wonderful!) TA has been able to get us some OBC, but never a reduced fare.

We booked on RCCL to Alaska at the end of June, and paid for an inside guarantee (category Q I believe) with a residency discount. We have been bumped up to category L and it's a really nice location from what I've seen on the schematics and been told by a few people (it's on the end of a hallway near the staircase with only one neighbor). Do rates usually dip before the cruise, or do they go up as the cruise gets closer? I have seen some fluctuation, but it's gone up and then back down to where it was when we booked. Obviously I would want to get the credit if it goes down, but I don't want to obsess over checking the rates twice daily if the rates are going to just go up.

I would think a June Alaska cruise would tend to fill up.....;)

I'm not really familiar with RCCL's policy, but generally if the price goes down after your final payment date you can't get the new price:( . They usually state "for new bookings only". You might be able to get some OBC, though. If you see the fare go down call your TA and ask. It can't hurt:) !

I disagree. On my last cruise (in Feb 07 with RCCL), we got THREE rate decreases in the month prior to the cruise (which was well after final payment) - and it wasn't OBC, it was refunds to our credit cards. We saw the reduced rates by going thru the booking process on the RCCL website (which does say "new bookings only" but they gave us the price drop anyway), and be sure to input your state of residency, because that's what got us the best prices. The only exception seems to be the Tuesday Happy Hour Specials, which they won't honor on an existing booking.

I disagree. On my last cruise (in Feb 07 with RCCL), we got THREE rate decreases in the month prior to the cruise (which was well after final payment) - and it wasn't OBC, it was refunds to our credit cards. We saw the reduced rates by going thru the booking process on the RCCL website (which does say "new bookings only" but they gave us the price drop anyway), and be sure to input your state of residency, because that's what got us the best prices. The only exception seems to be the Tuesday Happy Hour Specials, which they won't honor on an existing booking.

That's great :D ! Since I'm not familiar with RCCL I didn't know they'd do that :o .

That's great :D ! Since I'm not familiar with RCCL I didn't know they'd do that :o .

I also agree with Roofingprincess; we got discounts AND an upgrade after final payment on RCI. It was wonderful! We originally booked the next to cheapest inside, and ended up with a balcony and $600 (total) in our pocket!

Archived