Copying ship photographs?

What are the usual policies for obtaining a copyright release for photos taken onboard?

I have not had a problem in the past, but tried to get one on the last day of the cruise and the photo manager demanded $50 per image.

I declined, got home and contacted the corporate office. They put me on hold to check (what?) and then ok'd the release without additional charge.

I got a letter stating that these are, "approved on an individual basis."

What gives???

Esther

Now a days it is no big deal -every one has copiers at home-I have even copied them at Walmarts myself with their machine as it is cheaper then the ink we use in our copier-but the copies aren't as nice as the originial.

I will pay for copies on ship though if they offer them-I just wanted some wallet size and a couple of 5 by 7's to give out-not every cruiseline will do those.

The prices I paid (I think it was Carnival that does the smaller copies) were reasonable-I have only been told that after a certain cutoff time it is too late to make copies-like the day of disembarkation. I wonder if someone wanted to make some side money? Sure sounds fishy to me that someone would charge you $50.

I always looked at it in a rather 'simple' way: If you just want copies to give to your friends, perhaps include them in your Web Album and so on (another words - you are NOT looking for making any $$$ off the image) - go ahead and make copies at home - as many as your heart desires.

If that is the case and you still want to get 'technical' you can always put a caption 'Taken by Ship Photographer' or something akin to that.

So, again, as long as you are not selling it and not taking a credit for taking it - what's the harm????

Thanks, all, for your input. The cruise line is Princess;

I want to copy some particularly good portraits and our local Wal-Mart is very picky about having a copyright release before use of any of their equipment or doing any reprint work. This $50 per image request(?) from the photo manager while onboard was a new and unpleasant experience. Once home Princess corporate was very cooperative, but they did all put me on hold to check something, and it made me curious to know what it was. (perhaps how much I had spent on photography on board?)

It took awhile. I asked for a fax directly to the photo dept. at Wal-Mart, and instead they sent a letter to my home. It arrived in 7 days. :rolleyes:

Anyway all is well. It was just a hassle and my husband was needlessly stressed out at disembark for my sake. A clearer policy from Princess corporate would be helpful to passengers, I believe.

Esther

I always looked at it in a rather 'simple' way: If you just want copies to give to your friends, perhaps include them in your Web Album and so on (another words - you are NOT looking for making any $$$ off the image) - go ahead and make copies at home - as many as your heart desires.

If that is the case and you still want to get 'technical' you can always put a caption 'Taken by Ship Photographer' or something akin to that.

So, again, as long as you are not selling it and not taking a credit for taking it - what's the harm????

Quite simply, the harm is that it's illegal to make a copy of a photo (music, book, DVD, etc.) without written permission of the owner of the copyright. By definition, only the owner has the right to copy. It doesn't matter if you're making money off the copies, and posting it on a Web site is copying BTW.

There are people who make their livings producing copyrighted material (me, included) and unfortunately there are others who think there is no harm in violating copyright laws. The laws as they are right now aren't sufficient and certainly haven't kept up with technology. But, it gets only worse with the attitude that no one is harmed by the violation of copyright laws.

The cruiselines generally give out copyright releases freely, so what's the harm in simply getting one?

Jayne

Thanks, all, for your input. The cruise line is Princess;

I want to copy some particularly good portraits and our local Wal-Mart is very picky about having a copyright release before use of any of their equipment or doing any reprint work. This $50 per image request(?) from the photo manager while onboard was a new and unpleasant experience. Once home Princess corporate was very cooperative, but they did all put me on hold to check something, and it made me curious to know what it was. (perhaps how much I had spent on photography on board?)

It took awhile. I asked for a fax directly to the photo dept. at Wal-Mart, and instead they sent a letter to my home. It arrived in 7 days. :rolleyes:

Anyway all is well. It was just a hassle and my husband was needlessly stressed out at disembark for my sake. A clearer policy from Princess corporate would be helpful to passengers, I believe.

Esther

Yes Walmart is like that if THEY make the copies-but if you use the machine yourself-and punch them in yourself and then return an hour later for the finished copies-it is not a problem. Then the blame is on you-not them.

Quite simply, the harm is that it's illegal to make a copy of a photo (music, book, DVD, etc.) without written permission of the owner of the copyright. By definition, only the owner has the right to copy. It doesn't matter if you're making money off the copies, and posting it on a Web site is copying BTW.

There are people who make their livings producing copyrighted material (me, included) and unfortunately there are others who think there is no harm in violating copyright laws. The laws as they are right now aren't sufficient and certainly haven't kept up with technology. But, it gets only worse with the attitude that no one is harmed by the violation of copyright laws.

The cruiselines generally give out copyright releases freely, so what's the harm in simply getting one?

Jayne

I agree with you, and you said it very good. I work for FedEx Kinko' and you are right that it is illegal to copy professional photos without a copyright release. As you said that is how these people make their living. I have to explain this to people all day everyday.

NavySis

I agree with you, and you said it very good. I work for FedEx Kinko' and you are right that it is illegal to copy professional photos without a copyright release. As you said that is how these people make their living. I have to explain this to people all day everyday.

It should also be illegal for someone to take someone else's picture without their prior authorization. Even worse, put it up on a board for everyone to see. Perhaps these photographers should get a release from us before they start snapping away.

It should also be illegal for someone to take someone else's picture without their prior authorization. Even worse, put it up on a board for everyone to see. Perhaps these photographers should get a release from us before they start snapping away.

A good point! I know there is another cruise fan board where these people will post unattractive photos they have taken of other people without their knowlege on cruises-for ex.-one was of this woman's behind in a bikini and she was none too slim.

A good point! I know there is another cruise fan board where these people will post unattractive photos they have taken of other people without their knowlege on cruises-for ex.-one was of this woman's behind in a bikini and she was none too slim.

That just tacky. Some people need to find a hobby.

D.

Thank-you Jayne and Navysis for reminding us to sustain the law.

That is important. I also don't want to unfairly single out a particular cruise line for criticism for a single anomaly. :)

Perhaps it would be best for me to just ask Princess directly what their criteria are for signing over the release without additional charge.

Also, good point expressed by taxmantoo, momofmeg and Texas_Divers regarding taking someone's image without permission, especially for publication. It is: not nice.

All world class photographers ask first, and then send the person a copy as a courtesy.

It is a step to a better world if we treat each other as we would want to be treated. :)

Esther

Archived