How do I know if I SAVED?

after reading and re-reading everyone's posts.. i feel like i am [b]not in the know[/b] .. and that i haven't gotten the best deal... kinda makes me mad.. :mad:

don't get me wrong, the $$ used was not out of my savings or anything.. it was from a consultant job.. however, it was very hard earned..

i hate to name $$ but i would love to know if i paid a good amount for my 7 day out of MD on the GOS....

someone want to give me a range?

This is a really good point. People do get really upset, and rightfully so, when there is no way to know they're getting the best deal. By the same token, the more customers know the best price available for products and services, the thinner the margins are for suppliers. In a discounting culture, I don't see any way of satisfying both sides of that equation.

Even Serene may not know the lowest possible fare for every single voyage, and even for a single voyage there could be issues such as packaging that affect the actual product being sold -- different prices for differently packaged voyages can't be comparable. It is very frustrating.

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=seagreen]To answer the original post question, what I do is peruse the various web sites. I find the lowest fare for the cabin that DH and I want. I then call my TA and give her the web site name, etc. She will match the fare that I have found. I always feel that I obtained a fair price for our cruise. :p [/color][/size][/font]

I haven't been so successful. I tried three cruise-specific TAs, and none of them could beat a package price I got from of all places <one of the big online airline booking engines> (which cannot possibly be the best price, right?)

What I do is ask Suz her price she paid then check for sailings using the variuos online stuff that everyone checks. Her cruises is sold out now so we really cant check the prices. THe only availabilty is Suites and Jr suites.

I did see a few "prices" lower than what we paid for our cruise, BUT - be careful when you look at these websites and get a price. If you don't follow through with the online "registration" process - you don't get the WHOLE picture. Many of these sites will show (for example) - a balcony for $799 - you may be paying $929 and think you'll get a better deal until you continue the registration process and find that their taxes and "fee" will run you about $300 (you'll be paying more using the website). Sometimes things are not always what they seem. Do some research and see what's what.

We received a quote from a TA. I thanked her and looked all over - the cruise line's website, expedia, travelocity, orbitz and a quite a few others. Our "deal" was within a few $$ of some of the websites - not enough for me to go through them instead of our TA.

Also - I think the time you choose to pay for the trip matters. If you book one year in advance, months in advance of a few weeks before the cruise. What time of year are you traveling? Is it "prime" season? What is your destination? All of these variables plays a role in the price as well.

I've heard from some folks on cruisecritic who have gotten awesome deals - mostly by shopping around and doing alot of comparative shopping. Read the boards and good luck to you.

G

I'm not sure about all TA's, but I have always booked my cruises at a very popular retail club store (they have great prices), and anytime before you make final payment if you see the price has gone down, they will match this price. Once you make final payment, you're done.

Ditto with what has been said about checking several online sites & even several TA's to get a "feel" for the price. Again be sure you are receiving the total price from each source. Beyound that you just have to book at a price that feels comfortable & then monitor for any price drops.
You can't become obsessed with the worry of getting the "BEST" deal, it probably doesn't exsist.

• 4 months later...

Archived