Recommendation for Warnemunde

Please, any recommendations for Warnemunde and surrounding.

We would like to rent a car for our visit at Warnemunde June 13 or better ideas? . How to reach Rostock to pick up the car? What is nice to visit?

Thanks,

Gitte

Ditto. We will be here in July and were debating whether to take the ship's Molli train tour to Bad Doberman or whether we can do this on our own via public transportation. We, too, would like to see Rostock.

Has anyone taken the Molli train?

Do you recommend the ship's tour or doing this on one's own? Thanks.

To your questions:

Molli is available as DIY for 16.40 EUR pp.

Sorry - I am currently not home so I cannot give further instructions but promise to do it next week.

There was already a thread showing how to buy tickets and to find the trains but do not know why erased by the Hosts here - there was NO COMMERCIAL tour operator mentioned!

No need to get to ROSTOCK

HERTZ

and

EUROPCAR

deliver cars to cruise terminals.

Also for this I made a posting for DIY LÜBECK, WISMAR - but do not why - also erased by Hosts - although NO COMMERCIAL tour operator was mentioned.

Will revert next week when I am back! Promised.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the information.

Gitte:)

Hi Gitte,

I see on your count-down that you come by CONSTELLATION to Rostock.

CONSTELLATION is berthing P 41 in Rostock Seaport and not a the cruise terminal in Warnemünde.

Just opposite is a small car-rental station of a local service provider.

I took a picture of the station which shows the phone number. But it's on my home computer. So when I am back in Germany I will revert with the number.

If it does not work:

I think that Celebrity is providing a free of charge bus to the city center.

There is also a train service (once per hour) just opposite of the pier 41 to Rostock Central Station.

Just opposite of the train station Central Station there is

SIXT (http://www.e-sixt.de)

as car rental station.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for the reply.

I checked the cruise port of Rostock and the Constellation shall dock now in Warnemunde P7. Maybe it is changed again. http://www.rostock-port.de/2006_Port_Calls.75+B6Jkw9MQ__.0.html

I found an interesting site: http://www.rostock-port.de/Kreuzschifffahrten.11.0.html?L=1

Leider kein Party für die Constellation am 13 Juni. :rolleyes:

http://www.rostock-port.de/Rostock_Port_Partys.176.0.html

gitte107@hotmail.com

O.K. You were asking for some recommendations what you can do if you are in Warnemünde/Rostock and you do not want to go to Berlin...

I am the DIY (public transport or car rental)-fan.

Let me introduce you

Rostock incl. Warnemünde

2007WmdAmStromF10-vi.jpg

That's an impression from Warnemünde if you just want to walk.

Some more impression from Rostock

2007HRONeumarktF58-vi.jpg

2007HROSteintorF56-vi.jpg

2007HROUniplOstF51-vi.jpg

This you can easily reach by commuter trains (2-4 times per hour / 30 minutes ride + 15 minutes walk - or by boat 1 hour)

If you are accepting to go about 1 hour you can get to Bad Doberan and get on the Mecklenburger Bäderbahn or just short: "Molli" which goes to the old traditional beach resorts Heiligendamm and Kühlungsbronn

2007DBRMolliRauchV34F30-vi.jpg

This places can be easily combined:

Costs

1 day pass to Bad Doberan (incl. Rostock) = 6.40 EUR

1 return ride on Molli = 10.00 EUR

Regards,

HeinBloed

For those who is wants to go a little bit further:

90 minutes by car - 2 hrs by train - but my favourite of all her introduced:

Lübeck

which is already in the former West Germany

2007HLHolstentorV15-vi.jpg

2007HLTraveV16-vi.jpg

2007HLRathausNiedereggerV19-vi.jpg

On the right side you see NIEDEREGGER... a must for all fans of Sweets and good Chocolate/Marcipan...

Another cruiser describes this shop as jewel store and I can fully agree.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Last alternative suggestion from me who is still willing to go

90 minute by car or train.

Schwerin

a beautiful lake area which looks like this:

2007SNCity-vi.jpg

2007SNCastleCity-vi.jpg

2007SNCastleLake-vi.jpg

Frankly spoken:

all places are for my taste too small to stay a whole especially if you are the first or only time in Germany.

I would combine two of the attractions together

Like Lübeck + Wismar

or Schwerin + Rostock

or however.

Your taste decides.

Once you decided which combination you would like to do feel free to post again that we find the best solutions for you to get there.

Driving yourself is easy:

That's on the highway around Rostock:

2007A20V09-vi.jpg

Regards,

HeinBloed

How to reach Rostock to pick up the car?

Hello Gitte,

It's easy to rent in Warnemünde a car:

HERTZ and EUROPCAR are delivering just next to the cruise terminal:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdGeneral2-vi.jpg

Booking as follows:

Europcar

Warnowufer 30

18057 Rostock

Phone: +49 381 203050

Fax: +49 381 2030566

2007WmdStationF07-vi.jpg

Hertz

Miera Kraftfahrzeuge GmbH (= Licensee)

St. Petersburger Str. 50

18107 Rostock

Phone: +49 381 7699653

Fax: +49 381 7699642

2007WmdHertzV03-vi.jpg

The best would be always to contact the station yourself to fix the correct delivery instead of calling a call-center who might not know the local details!

That's the the highway around Rostock looks like:

2007A20V09-vi.jpg

So driving around Rostock is really easy - especially if you order an GPS with your car.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi Heinbloed and everyone else:

Actually renting cars from Hertz is a bit tricky. In the U.S. you need to call the international reservations line and insist that you want a written confirmation that the car will be brought to Warnemunde. Some of the Hertz agents will tell you that this cannot be done but if that happens, ask to speak to a supervisor. Eventually, you will get a knowledgeable person who will tell you to expect a telephone call in 3 business days confirming the delivery. When you get the telephone confirmation, ask them to e-mail you a written confirmation. Also, I have 2 friends who said that Enterprise delivers cars to Warnemunde and it is very easy to book with them.

Heinbloed: I remember from your previous postings some very detailed pictures and instructions on which roads to take to get to Wismar and Lubeck. Can you please re-post them? Also, assuming we are driving to Lubeck, which other places do you like the best on the way back to Warnemunde?

I remember from your previous postings some very detailed pictures and instructions on which roads to take to get to Wismar and Lubeck. Can you please re-post them? Also, assuming we are driving to Lubeck, which other places do you like the best on the way back to Warnemunde?

Indeed - it was a suggested tour by car rental

to Lübeck

then Wismar

then scenic coastal road back to Warnemünde

(if time allow incl. ride on the Molly train).

When are you going? Which time-frame? I am asking because I am going on Wednesday again for a cruise and will be back one week later.

It took some hours to make the posting - and all erased by our hosts...

Meanwhile I have already re-created all photo-files. Let's see when I will have the time to complete it as recently... and how fast it will be erased again...

If you have not booked with HERTZ - I would try with EUROPCAR. When I called them they told me: anytime between 9.00 am and 6.00 pm is the car available at Warnemünde Station and for an additional fee of 30 EUR.

There main station who will deliver the car is 7 days a week open. So also very interesting for cruisers who are arriving on public holidays or sundays in Warnemünde.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Indeed - it was a suggested tour by car rental

to Lübeck

then Wismar

then scenic coastal road back to Warnemünde

(if time allow incl. ride on the Molly train).

When are you going? Which time-frame? I am asking because I am going on Wednesday again for a cruise and will be back one week later.

It took some hours to make the posting - and all erased by our hosts...

Regards,

HeinBloed

YES YES That was the post I really want. It was so helpful. I cannot understand why it was erased. I am not going on my cruise until July 1, so I can wait. Maybe if you posted it as a downloadable PDF file it would not be erased? I am anxious to get this from you Heinbloed because I ordered a car but I don't think it has GPS in it.

Thank you,

Andee B.

YES YES That was the post I really want. It was so helpful. I am anxious to get this from you Heinbloed because I ordered a car but I don't think it has GPS in it.

The GPS will get you quickly to Lübeck and back to Wismar...

From Wismar back to Warnemünde I suggested to use a scenic road...

and now the disadvantage of GPS...

You have the options:

fastest route (shortest calculated time)

shortest route (less miles)

dynamic route (incl. all traffic information about enroute disturbences)

avoid highway

not avoid highway...

but there is no option scenic way.

... So use the time carfully and join some lessons with the boy scouts... to read some maps again...

I have your e-mail-address and you should have mine... so do not worry that we will not find any solutions to have a great day for you while you are in Germany!

So WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND - Welcome to Germany!

Regards,

HeinBloed

but there is no option scenic way.

... So use the time carfully and join some lessons with the boy scouts... to read some maps again...

I have your e-mail-address and you should have mine... so do not worry that we will not find any solutions to have a great day for you while you are in Germany!

So WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND - Welcome to Germany!

Heinbloed:

Believe it or not, I can't find any detailed maps of this area. I looked at several guidebooks but their maps are very poor. They mostly focus on (the former) West German routes. This is why your information is so very valuable.

We just want a relaxing but very scenic day and since we are in port from 7:00 to 22:00, I think we can achieve this. If we go to Lubeck and Wismar, how much more time will we need for the Moli train? Is it stressful getting there?

Thanks,

Andee B.

PS: I don't have your e-mail address. Can you send it to: Andiamo39-shop@yahoo.com

I looked at several guidebooks but their maps are very poor. They mostly focus on (the former) West German routes. This is why your information is so very valuable.

Do not worry... you'll get very precise descriptions from me...

We just want a relaxing but very scenic day and since we are in port from 7:00 to 22:00, I think we can achieve this. If we go to Lubeck and Wismar, how much more time will we need for the Moli train? Is it stressful getting there?

Do not worry... I hope that the other cruisers are back on the NORWEGIAN DREAM since they left with the car for Lübeck-Wismar-Bad Doberan last Monday... I have not heared from them...

PS: I don't have your e-mail address. Can you send it to: Andiamo39-shop@yahoo.com

You should have already mail from me... since this morning (European time)... Nothing received... maybe blocked by your spam-filter???

Regards,

HeinBloed

You should have already mail from me... since this morning (European time)... Nothing received... maybe blocked by your spam-filter???

Nope, didn't get it. That happens sometimes. I'll just wait a day and send you an e-mail when I get it. If you don't hear back from me in 24 hours maybe you could try again?

PS: I also hope those people from the Norwegian Dream post a report because there is not a lot of information available in the U.S. about the Mecklenburg region. I don't know why. Maybe people from here are still afraid to travel there. It's sad.

Heinbloed,

Thank you very much for the great information and your time. (Great pictures):)

We look forward to visit Warnemunde and region.:) Love to visit the beaches, Schwerin, Rostock etc. Maybe if we have time Rügen.;)

Have a wonderful cruise with calm seas and a blue sky. BON VOYAGE.

Tschüs,

Love to visit the beaches, Schwerin, Rostock etc. Maybe if we have time Rügen.

We look forward to visit Warnemunde and region.

Guten Morgen Gitte -

you can do Schwerin OR Rügen in combination with Rostock.

All three will be too much as they are just opposite.

So if you decide for Schwerin I can try to make a suggestion for you incl. route instructions.

If you decide for Rügen (you can incl. scenic drive via Riebnitz-Damgarten) I can do it without photo only.

Regards,

HeinBloed

@andiamo39:

Especially for you and all other cruiser’s who would like to do DIY by car from Warnemünde – Lübeck – Wismar – scenic drive back to Warnemünde:

Here you find the locations in Warnemüde to pick-up your car:

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdP7F01V01-vi.jpg

Subject you berth P 7 (= Terminal 1) you will leave this building.

Make a turn to the right you, so you see this scene:

2007WmdP7FerryF02V02-vi.jpg

The next building you will find already the collection point of HERTZ.

2007WmdHertzV03-vi.jpg

Beside the Ferry to Hohe Düne there is only ONE way to leave the ferry terminal.

2007WmdOutV04-vi.jpg

A 20 merges to A 1 – You just follow the signs LÜBECK-ZENTRUM / Puttgarden – always keep right to a rotary once you left A 1

After the turn in a rotary keep left to follow to LÜBECK-ZENTRUM

2007HLA1StadtV10-vi.jpg

After you turned left stay on the right land and be prepared once you see a turn right sign at a signal to

HAUPTBAHNHOF

Turn right to Hauptbahnhof – keep left and follow the sign with the parking:

2007HLPV11-vi.jpg

2007HLPV12-vi.jpg

Once you get out of the parking you must find this way.

2007HLBhfHolstentorV13-vi.jpg

And once you made it to this rotary you made it well.

2007HLRotaryV14-vi.jpg

Cross over and if you have this view you are right.

2007HLHolstentorV15-vi.jpg

Continue to the bridge and just go ahead on the right side

2007HLTraveV16-vi.jpg

until you find this sign

2007HLKohlmarktV17-vi.jpg

If you look to the left you see the pedestrian zone.

2007HLBreiteStrV18-vi.jpg

If you make a 180° turn you see the location of the Cathedrale.

2007HLDomV19-vi.jpg

But let’s get first something from Niederegger to strengthen your body…

Do not forget to have also some history and German culture – do not forget to look opposite of Niederegger to see the Town Hall which is behind the arches.

2007HLRathausNiedereggerV19-vi.jpg

But the window...

2007HLNiedereggerFensterV20-vi.jpg

Get in to the paradise of chocolate lovers... and they have also very nice lunches…

2007HLNiedereggerTuerV21-vi.jpg

Once you get back from your Lübeck sights:

Get on to

A 1 Puttgarden – Hamburg – towards Hamburg

A 20 Wismar – Rostock – towards Wismar

Following the signs to Wismar.

Once you arrive in Downtown area you should park in the HAFEN-district.

From there it’s easy to find everything as the whole city is presenting the ways to the sights as follows:

2007HWISchildV22-vi.jpg

Before you go:

Do not forget to pay for your parking at this machines:

2007HWIPV23-vi.jpg

Archived