Recommendation for Warnemunde

After I got no more permission to buy any travel guide or cruise ship book I got the exceptional permission to buy one more book before we must add new rooms to our house for a new library:

1000 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE

Be sure that I was nicely surprised to find

LÜBECK

BERLIN BRANDENBURG GATE

BERLIN MUSEUM ISLAND AND OTHER MUSEUMS

POTSDAM SANSSOUCI PALACE

in this list. Therefore very nicely surprised that my recommendations were confirmed by a professional travel guide author: Patricia Schultz.

So if you have the copy of this book check for more details on this city.

Regards,

HeinBloed

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I do not write your nickname to avoid that you become tour guide for other cruisers!!!

But other cruiser's on this or other itinery should be able to use the same suggestions:

NORWEGIAN DREAM

Wednesday, July 06, 2007

Warnemünde 07.00 hrs - 21.00 hrs

Train - Lübeck - Schwerin - Party of 7 adults + 1 child (12) or 5 adults + 1 child (12) adults

Itinery:

07.52 dep from Warnemünde (Commuter train S1)

08.13 arr at Rostock Hbf (Central Station)

08.25 dep from Rostock Hbf (IC 2115)

09.20 arr at Schwerin Hbf

10.30 dep at Schloss (Lake Cruise "Inseltour" (= Island Cruises))

===> More information on Weiße Flotte Schwerin. It's 9.50 EUR pp.

11.45 arr at Schloss

12.47 dep from Schwerin Hbf (RE 33132)

12.59 arr at Bad Kleinen

13.04 dep from Bad Kleinen (RE 92594)

13.56 arr at Lübeck Hbf

14.30 dep at Holstentor (Trave-Bridge) (City Tour "Stadtrundfahrt")

===> More information on Quandt Linie Lübeck. It's 7.00 EUR pp.

15.30 arr at Holstentor (Trave-Bridge)

17.04 dep from Lübeck Hbf (RE 21627)

17.55 arr at Bad Kleinen

18.00 dep from Bad Kleinen (RE 33015)

18.52 arr at Rostock Hbf

19.01 dep from Rostock Hbf (Commuter Train S1)

19.21 arr at Warnemünde

I hope I meet your taste with the choice of the River and Lake cruises. It's really lovely. You'll like it.

Ticketing:

You must cover the time until 9.00 am.

As I choosed a fast connection in a long-distance train buy online

for Warnemünde - Schwerin for 13.06.2007, 07:52

Buy one way only. There is no discount. Therefore you can buy without risk.

It's 19.00 EUR pp - I would not make any seat reservation. It's only less than 1 hour - I would go to the restaurant car and have a cup of coffee and some breakfast. But I do not think that the train will be too full at this time of the day. But no risk - no fun!

IMPORTANT: Your child (12 yo) is travelling free as long as she is covered on your ticket (section Warnemünde - Schwerin).

If you are sure that you will go with 5 adults + 1 child you

must buy

1 ticket covering 4 adults + 1 child

1 ticket covering 1 adult

You can already buy the ticket for the party who is unsure:

1 ticket covering 2 adults which you can return without penalty the day before you are travelling online - if you are registered with Deutsche Bahn!!!

As all tickets are undiscounted you can also buy at time of travel but it could be different to get reservations.

Due to the age of the travellers I would highly recommend to do some. If you do not use them: it's only 1.50 EUR pp loss!!!

PLUS

Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (24.00 EUR for 1-5 persons). So if you are six or eight - you must buy 2 tickets. (You need it to cover the rest of day Schwerin - Lübeck - Warnemünde)

Check how to buy the tickets and Lübeck routes from station to town.

Schwerin you find here - that's new.

As Lübeck is already Schleswig-Holstein you never know how smart the conductor could be:

Make a print-out of these lines which explain in German the validity of your ticket in Lübeck.

Auf den Nahverkehrsstrecken der Deutschen Bahn in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern und auf den Strecken Herrnburg - Lübeck-Travemünde Strand und Schwanheide - Hamburg einschließlich Großraum Hamburg, auf der Strecke von Grabow (Meckl) bis Bad Wilsnack und für Fahrten nach Stettin (im ÖPNV). Quelle: Deutsche Bahn AG

Have a great shore excursion

Willkommen in Deutschland

Welcome to Germany

HeinBloed

I have been reading your posts all day and they are very informative. Thank you so much. One thing I wanted to check on.

We are planning on being in Warnemunde on a Sunday. We want to go to Schwerin and then to the Molli Train in Bad Doberan and back to the ship. Which train tickets do we need to purchase for travel on a Sunday?

Thank you so much for your help. I've been struggling with the rail website.

Good Morning,

one Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern per 5 (or less) persons for 24.00 EUR is fine

(SUBJECT YOU DO NOT USE IC-TRAINS TO SCHWERIN!!!).

If you use IC-Train to Schwerin just see above Schwerin/Lübeck-Posting. Exactly the same.

PLUS

tickets on Molli-Train itself (10.00 EUR Bad Doberan - Kühlungborn - Bad Doberan) - to be bought in Bad Doberan at the ticket booth of Molli train or in the trains.

Have a great shore excursion

Willkommen in Deutschland

Welcome to Germany

HeinBloed

By request of several cruisers who want to go

Bad Doberan

Molli-Train

Rostock

please find here the instructions to

buy tickets for train/bus

go by bus to Bad Doberan

buy tickets for Molli

get back to Warnemünde by bus

or

get to Rostock by train

Who wants to go to Bad Doberan only and return to Warnemünde need to download this:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/BadDoberan.pdf

Who wants to go to Rostock as well need to download additionally this:

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Rostock.pdf

As I have to pay for your download (traffic) please limit it to the docs you really need.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Loved your information and especially the photos of cites near to the port of Warnemunde.

Do you know how one may find a driver to take us to Lubeck & Schwerin?

We arrive on Regatta June 14, 2008

We will most likely find other passengers on our cruise who will share the trip with us. It's a bit early but I am getting the research work done before my busy season at the end of the year.

My family and I booked Berlin Walks for an all day tour - we can't rave enough about the decision to go with them (rather than the ship tour or renting a car). Our driver picked us up in a van at the Warnemunde port at 7 am (immediately after docking and avoiding any of the other cruise tours). We arrived at the Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin at 9:15 am where we met our very knowledgeable tour guide, Sarah.

We were able to tour the Reichstag (recommend reservations at the roof top restaurant to avoid the long lines - must be done months in advance), the Pergamon museum, the Museum at Checkpoint Charlie, the Jewish Museum, the new Holocaust memorial, as well as walk Unter den Linden from the Brandenburg Gate to Museum Island, etc.

With the van, they were also able to show us the Tiergarten, Kudamm and surroundings, The Wall, and Charlottenburg Palace and teach us in depth what we were seeing. Her knowledge far surpassed my Rick Steves' guidebook for Berlin.

We were exhausted but left Berlin by 6 pm and arrived in Warnemunde at 8:15 pm (I believe he averaged about 150 km/hour on the autobahn). Our driver was also kind enough to drive us around and show us the town of Warnemunde as we had time to spare until the ship departed. We loved seeing Warnemunde as well, and were taken with its charm.

The price for the day was around $1300 plus tips- but was the same price whether we had 3 or 6 passengers (up to the number of passengers the van could hold in addition to the driver and tour guide). We were pleased with this tour and highly recommend BerlinWalks to all Warnemunde cruisers. We also highly recommend Sarah (our tour guide - can't remember her last name). She also took us to a wonderful German restaurant on Unter den Linden - delicious and reasonably priced - in a basement restaurant near Bebelplatz (can't remember the restaurant's name either).

• 2 weeks later...

I love your information on travel from Warnemunde to surrounding cities. I may opt for the train when our cruise docks my question is : we would like to do rostock,miser,lubeck,from your information we decided to go to the farthest city which is lubeck and work our way back to warnemunde, BUT how far is it in a walk from train station in lubeck and miser to city sites? do we need to take a bus or can we walk to them easily?

Lübeck is walking distance about 7-10 minutes from train station to city center (Holstengate) and 12-15 minutes from train station to city center (Niederegger):

http://home.arcor.de/yao/Luebeck.pdf

Download and check yourself.

Miser = are you talking about Wismar??? I am sorry that I do not understand Miser. Please explain.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 1 year later...

I appreciate the info in this message trail about places to see in and around Warnemunde. Our cruise ship arrives 19 June (Azamara Journey). We just spend a week in Berlin - so not too motivated to spend 6 hours on a train back and forth. We'd love to rent a car - or hop a ferry - and tour the county side.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll read more and maybe get back to you with questions!!

I appreciate the info in this message trail about places to see in and around Warnemunde. Our cruise ship arrives 19 June (Azamara Journey). We just spend a week in Berlin - so not too motivated to spend 6 hours on a train back and forth. We'd love to rent a car - or hop a ferry - and tour the county side.

Thanks so much for the info. I'll read more and maybe get back to you with questions!!

Is it what you are looking for:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/wismar-to-warnemunde-germany-scenic.html

I will add the comments after my cruises.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 weeks later...

We would like to take a river boat ride from Warnemunde to Rostock. Then walk from the River to old town, have a couple of drinks then either take the train or river boat ride from Rostock back to Warnemunde. Can you make any suggestions if this is doable? I know the cruise ship has a bus ride to old town and then a river cruise back.

What train would we take to Rostock and what stop would we get off at? Any good breweries in Rostock or Warnemunde?

Thanks for your help...

Tom

We would like to take a river boat ride from Warnemunde to Rostock. Then walk from the River to old town, have a couple of drinks then either take the train or river boat ride from Rostock back to Warnemunde. Can you make any suggestions if this is doable? I know the cruise ship has a bus ride to old town and then a river cruise back.

What train would we take to Rostock and what stop would we get off at? Any good breweries in Rostock or Warnemunde?

Thanks for your help...

Tom

Sorry, that I keep myself very short but 55 Cent/minute on a cruise ship too expensive to give detailed answered.

Most of the questions will be answered here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2008/08/heinbloed-cruise-guides.html

What you still need to know I will revert when I am back on Sunday on my cruise.

If you use the search function for Rostock and brewery you will find also recommendations for this.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks for your help...

Tom

Now I am back...

You can go here:

http://www.alter-fritz.de/de/gasthaeuser/rostock/index.html

which is located just 5 minutes from the pier where the city cruise ships from Warnemünde arrive. (just turn to the right).

So the best would be to go around 11.00 hrs which is perfect to have lunch and beer there.

It's a nice walk through Rostock and you can either return by boat or by train and have an additional walk in Warnemünde.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Now I am back...

You can go here:

http://www.alter-fritz.de/de/gasthaeuser/rostock/index.html

which is located just 5 minutes from the pier where the city cruise ships from Warnemünde arrive. (just turn to the right).

So the best would be to go around 11.00 hrs which is perfect to have lunch and beer there.

It's a nice walk through Rostock and you can either return by boat or by train and have an additional walk in Warnemünde.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Great. Thank you so much.

Archived