Recommendation for Warnemunde

Insert so much money as you plan to stay: max. 2 hours. Per 20 minutes 0.50 EUR. Exact change only.

If you think 1.20 hrs is enough you just insert 2 EUR and press the green button.

2007HWIPV24-vi.jpg

Put the ticket on this place of the car.

2007HWIPV25-vi.jpg

Once you walk to follow to MARKTPLATZ you’ll be here:

2007HWIStadtV26-vi.jpg

I do not know if you want to use Molli.

Subject you must be on board due to departure time 9.00 pm or 10.00 pm

You must leave Wismar at least 4.30 pm or 5.30 pm

To get the train from Bad Doberan 5.45 pm or 6.45 pm

Which has a bus transfer back to Bad Doberan (so only one way Molli)

And you’ll back at 7.19 pm or 8.19 pm

Which allows you to be back in Warnemünde at the per around 8.00 pm or 9.00 pm

Important: 1. subject to valid summer schedule 2007 / 2. Molli-train does not operate during the G8-summit in Heiligendamm. So no use for ROTTERDAM-cruisers!!!

If you use Molli – please follow to Route B 105 (no highway) to Bad Doberan:

Once you get in follow the brown signs.

2007DBRSchilderV27-vi.jpg

Be careful the last few yards are missing. Before you cross the railroad crossing the station is on the left side.

And do not forget to pay for parking again…

2007DBRPV28-vi.jpg

Find the ticket booth:

2007DBRFKAV29F26-vi.jpg

„Abort“ is the old German word for WC. The train does not have WC on board.

You’ll get the key at the ticket booth. If the agent is nice: no charge – is this is the witch again: 0.30 EUR.

2007DBRFKAWCV30F27-vi.jpg

„Fahrkartenausgabe“ in old German letters =Ticket booth.

10 EUR pp return – no acceptance of Credit Cards or foreign currencies.

“Kühlungsbronn und zurück mit dem Bus bitte!”

2007DBRFKAV31F28-vi.jpg

On your ride there is no more sale in the salon car. So buy yourself something at the station if you need.

2007DBRMolliSalonwagenV32F28-vi.jpg

That’s the standard car looks like. The best is to sit on the right side (driving direction!)

2007DBRMolliWagenV33F29-vi.jpg

2007DBRMolliRauchV34F30-vi.jpg

Don’t sit next to the locomation if you do not want to returned as Mecklenburg food speciality: smoked fish!

2007DBRMolliHdammV35F31-vi.jpg

Once you left Heiligendamm you’ll the tower where your George W. Bush slept during G8-summit.

2007DBRMolliKempinskiV36F32-vi.jpg

... also some little chapels in the woods…

2007DBRMolliWaldkapV37F33-vi.jpg

... and some ghosts...

2007DBRMolliWaldV38F34-vi.jpg

The conductor told it’s better to leave the train at Kühlungsborn OST (Terminal is WEST) as it is nicer and you have some more time to walk around. Take the bus back to Bad Doberan.

2007DBRKueOstV39F35-vi.jpg

Just follow Rostock to get out of the city center but then follow to Warnemünde to the Scenic drive back via Nienhagen with some ghost woods again.

Do not forget to refill your car – Bad Doberan is late enough to refill…

2007DBRWmdV40-vi.jpg

What is important to you to know to find your way back:

Incl. GPS:

Am Passagierkai in Rostock.

So follow the signs to Passagierkai or HOHE DÜNE (is the opposite of the ferry at the cruise terminal)

2007WmdInV41-vi.jpg

Warnemünde is subdivided into some parking sectors. You are located in the blue sector.

2007WmdInV42-vi.jpg

So follow to the parking in the blue sector like here on the signs.

2007WmdInV43-vi.jpg

Have fun in Germany!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks again Heinbloed for this very valuable information. This time, I captured the page to my scrapbook so if it gets erased, I will still have a copy. I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruises and please let us know your experience.

Andee B.

Ditto. We will be here in July and were debating whether to take the ship's Molli train tour to Bad Doberman or whether we can do this on our own via public transportation. We, too, would like to see Rostock.

Has anyone taken the Molli train?

Do you recommend the ship's tour or doing this on one's own? Thanks.

It's easy:

I would suggest:

use the bus to Bus to Bad Doberan as it is a scenic drive and back via Rostock by train.

Here are the instructions:[/font]

2007WmdGeneral1-vi.jpg

2007WmdP7F01V01-vi.jpg

Subject you berth P 7 (= Terminal 1) you will leave this building.

Make a turn to the right you, so you see this scene:

2007WmdP7FerryF02V02-vi.jpg

You are passing this JODELING SAUSAGE-sign (bähhh…) where you turn right and left to the promenade.

2007WmdFerryF03-vi.jpg

2007WmdPromenadeF04-vi.jpg

Bad Doberan is as per list: 111

So insert 111 to the destination key pad.

Left column DAY PASS (Tageskarte)

It’s 6.40 EUR. If you are two buy two such tickets. If you are more we should check if a group ticket is not better. Party of 3 upto 5 are 19.20 EUR for the Group Ticket.

That’s only the ticket to get to Bad Doberan and back without Molli.

2007WmdDBVVWTicketF19-vi.jpg

2007WmdDBVVWTicketF20-vi.jpg

Please do not forget to punch/validate the ticket here:

2007WmdDBEntwerterF21-vi.jpg

If you use the 9.22 hrs train to Rostock you’ll be the next station Warnemünde Werft at 9.24 hrs.

2007WmdWerftF22-vi.jpg

Go towards the riding direction and on the bridge to the right until you are here:

2007WmdWerftBusF23-vi.jpg

There you can see on the right side already the bus stop.

2007WmdWerftBushaltestelleF24-vi.jpg

In the little waiting hut you see the schedule of bus 119.

Should leave 9.40 hrs and arrives 10.13 hrs at Bad Doberan Station.

2007WmdWerftFahrplanF25-vi.jpg

Find the ticket booth:

2007DBRFKAV29F26-vi.jpg

„Abort“ is the old German word for WC. The train does not have WC on board.

You’ll get the key at the ticket booth. If the agent is nice: no charge – is this is the witch again: 0.30 EUR.

2007DBRFKAWCV30F27-vi.jpg

„Fahrkartenausgabe“ in old German letters =Ticket booth.

10 EUR pp return – no acceptance of Credit Cards or foreign currencies.

“Kühlungsbronn und zurück mit dem Bus bitte!”

2007DBRFKAV31F28-vi.jpg

On your ride there is no more sale in the salon car. So buy yourself something at the station if you need.

2007DBRMolliSalonwagenV32F28-vi.jpg

That’s the standard car looks like. The best is to sit on the right side (driving direction!)

2007DBRMolliWagenV33F29-vi.jpg

2007DBRMolliRauchV34F30-vi.jpg

Don’t sit next to the locomation if you do not want to returned as Mecklenburg food speciality: smoked fish!

2007DBRMolliHdammV35F31-vi.jpg

Once you left Heiligendamm you’ll see the tower where your George W. Bush slept during G8-summit.

2007DBRMolliKempinskiV36F32-vi.jpg

... also some little chapels in the woods…

2007DBRMolliWaldkapV37F33-vi.jpg

... and some ghosts...

2007DBRMolliWaldV38F34-vi.jpg

The conductor told it’s better to leave the train at Kühlungsborn OST (Terminal is WEST) as it is nicer and you have some more time to walk around. Take the bus back to Bad Doberan.

2007DBRKueOstV39F35-vi.jpg

If you like there is bike rental at the end of the station.

2007DBRKueOstFahrradF36-vi.jpg

If you like to see the Cathedrale get of at STADTMITTE…

2007DBRStadtmitteF37-vi.jpg

And follow the signs to MÜNSTER

2007DBRMuensterF38-vi.jpg

Once you return to the station: the trains towards Rostock departs from track 1 at the right side.

2007DBRBfHROF39-vi.jpg

You must change the train in Rostock Hbf (= Central Station) to get back to Warnemünde.

Have fun on your Molli-Ride

WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND

Welcome to Germany

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed:

Thank you so much for all this information. We are also going to print it right now just in case it gets deleted again. I have a few questions if you don't mind.

We are either renting a car from Hertz in Rostock or Sixt in Lutten Klein. Based on either of these locations how should we plan our day. The places we want to visit are Wismar, Bad Doberan, Lubeck, and Schwerin. Will we be able to get all this in and have the car back by around 6pm if we leave around 8am? Which order do you suggest we see all these places?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for all your help.

We are either renting a car from Hertz in Rostock or Sixt in Lutten Klein..

I cannot tell anything about SIXT if they have such a delivery service as I only found EUROPCAR and HERTZ around the cruise terminal.

Based on either of these locations how should we plan our day. The places we want to visit are Wismar, Bad Doberan, Lubeck, and Schwerin. Will we be able to get all this in and have the car back by around 6pm if we leave around 8am? Which order do you suggest we see all these places?

Bad Doberan is limited to the use of Molli-train or go to the cathedrale and you are limited to the opening hours of the church.

Frankly spoken: 4 places are too much - but 3 are possible - and 2 are realistic to spend some time.

I would go Lübeck - Schwerin - Wismar.

If you have only time until 6 pm (departure time or closing time of car rental or latest check-in onboard) I would do only two.

The 3-places-tour is something for someone who must be back at 8 pm!!!

Personally I would go -

Lübeck and Schwerin - but it's really MY PERSONAL favourites if the time is limited this way:

you have the contrast between East and West.

Beside a Hanseatic City at the coast (you will see some during your Baltic Sea cruise...) you would have another town in a beautiful lake landscape...

HeinBloed:

Thank you so much for replying to my questions. We are going to see if the car rental agency will let us return the car later after they close as we really wanted to see Wismar, Lubeck, and Schwerin. If they won't cooperate then I guess we'll have to settle with only two and eliminate visiting Wismar. We really wanted to rent at the port of Warnemunde but it seems like everyone who I speak to at Hertz says they aren't renting from there and they won't confirm a delivery of the car to the port.

What sights do you suggest as "must see" in both Lubeck and Schwerin? Is it hard to get to the castle, I know my son would love to see that.

Right now I'm looking around for maps of the area both online and from the book stores.

Having your pictures online to actually view are so helpful. Your time in providing all this for us is greatly appreciated.

HeinBloed:

Hi, thanks again for your help. So far we are waiting to see which companies have any cars for rent for the day we are going to be in Warnemunde. Since we decided sort of last minute to rent a car and tour ourselves.....we leave in less than 3 weeks we're not sure what's available. Hertz and Avis take three days after requesting to get back with you to confirm. They first must email the rental company. I'm going to check out Europcar. Hopefully they have a website...I'll check while surfing the net tonight.

I won't purchase any maps yet but will take you up on your suggestion to email you first. I really appreciate all your help. I've been doing some research today and if I did it correctly I believe it's about 1½ hours from Rostock to Lubeck, from Lubeck to Schwerin about a little over 1 hour and from Schwerin to Wismar around 45 mins. and from Wismar back to Rostock around 45 mins. Is this correct?

Thanks again for your help and as soon as I know for sure which car company has a rental available I'll get back in touch with you.:)

I'm going to check out Europcar. Hopefully they have a website...I'll check while surfing the net tonight.

It's http://www.europcar.de

I've been doing some research today and if I did it correctly I believe it's about 1½ hours from Rostock to Lubeck, from Lubeck to Schwerin about a little over 1 hour and from Schwerin to Wismar around 45 mins. and from Wismar back to Rostock around 45 mins. Is this correct?

So you must not ask me anymore...

But as Warnemünde is a little furhter away from these destinations:

Check always with

AM PASSAGIERKAI (as street)

or

BAHNHOF WARNEMÜNDE (as location as it is opposite of cruise terminal).

You might need some moments more + about 10-15 minutes (depending from which location your route calculator calculated from Rostock.

Regards,

HeinBloed

For your sleepless nights:

http://www.auf-nach-mv.de/home2.html?

HeinBloed:

Appreciate the website to Europcar and the one for my sleepless nights.:) Looks like it has a lot of good information and some nice pictures. I just took a brief look but will get back to it later.

I'm going to use the two locations you mentioned as final destinations and recalculate time again for the distances between towns.

We can't wait to visit and thanks to you we'll be well prepared with directions and a planned itinerary. I loved viewing the pictures you posted and the towns we plan to visit look so nice.

Hello,

I forgot: Lübeck is already outside the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern - therefore you need for another sleepless night:

http://www.luebeck.de/languages/eng/city_portrait/index.html

Do not wonder about the colour and the Script of Europcar - if it looks so familiar to you... it's the former subsidiary of NATIONAL...

A European planner is

http://www.map24.de (English available)

http://www.viamichelin.de

If you are using a US-one: like mapquest: not all streets are listed.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi,

Thanks for the Michelin website it has a lot of good information. What's funny is that just prior to reading your post I came across and was checking out the Lubeck website you mentioned. I didn't seem to come across to many tourist sights to see except for the shopping area around Niedereggger, the chocolate shop. It looks very pretty but I'll need to get a better idea of what to visit while there.

Yes, I was using mapquest so I'll now use the Michelin site to see if the directions change any.

Who knows if I'll get any sleep now with so many websites to visit. ;)

HeinBloed:

I will definitely email you tonight. I appreciate all the information you have provided. I am presently trying to put together some sort of itinerary to atleast have a guide to go by since our time is so limited.

I am presently trying to put together some sort of itinerary to atleast have a guide to go by since our time is so limited.

As you are on CONSTELLATION and will be there from 07.00 hrs - 21.30 hrs.

If you want to book SIXT: book at the Central Station (Hauptbahnhof) Station. They are open from 08.00 hrs until 20.00 hrs.

Take the commuter train - it's only 20 minutes by train and the car rental is just opposite of the Central Station building (Ausgang Nord = North Exit).

2007HROSchilderF41-vi.jpg

Take 07.32 hrs from Warnemünde and you are 07.53 hrs in Rostock.

Wondering you can get so soon from board... - but even to Lütten-Klein you cannot go faster.

Next 07.42 hrs every 10 minutes during the rush-hour.

Back after return of your car:

20.16 hrs from Rostock Central Station

20.36 hrs at Warnemünde

20.45 hrs back on your ship.

It's much more easier than getting to/from Lütten-Klein!!!

2007HROVorplatzF42-vi.jpg

SIXT is in the left tall building on the picture.

To buy your train ticket to Rostock see above.

Destination 340 for Rostock.

Left column Adult: Einzelkarte = Single Ticket

It's 1.60 EUR pp / ride.

Day passes make no sense.

Group-day pass only from a party of 4 or 5: 12.00 EUR.

Let's get realistic and you get your car at 8.30 hrs.

10.00 hrs in Lübeck

13.00 hrs after lunch Lübeck - Schwerin (scenic route east side lake)

14.15 hrs in Schwerin

http://www.schloss-schwerin.de/schwerin/index.html

Castle is open until 18.00 hrs:

http://www.schloss-schwerin.de/schwerin/english/schwerininfo.html

16.30 hrs after coffee break Schwerin - Wismar (scenic route west side lake)

- so you'll loop once around the lake...

17.15 hrs in Wismar

19.00 hrs after snack Wismar - Rostock

20.00 hrs in Rostock

PERFECT to see all three places and move in this places around without big stress.

Are you doing a pre-cruise in Copenhagen? Any hotel-address there? I could send you maps there!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived