Recommendation for Warnemunde

Hmm... your e-mail and your posting sounds like you are true castle and palace lovers...

Why not "TRUE" and "HUGE" palaces like

The Sanssoussi Palace in Potsdam

which is part of the

Potsdam's Land Landscape

and on the way back if time allows

The Rheinsberg Palace in Rheinsberg

You need to drive about 2 hrs to Potsdam but it's breathtaking.

It's easy to drive as only the last mile in Potsdam is city traffic. But all other is interstate!!!

But it's real another league than the castles in Schwerin or Ludwigslust.

That's total different from Lübeck, Schwerin, Wismar...

but it sounds that it would fit better to you.

I just checked out those websites and yes, those palaces look great. Won't have time for the other areas Lubeck, Schwerin, and Wismar so it's a toss-up. Is it worth giving up the other places? Plus I think we'd rather keep the travel distance about an hour in between places but it's something to consider.

There was already a thread showing how to buy tickets and to find the trains but do not know why erased by the Hosts here - there was NO COMMERCIAL tour operator mentioned!
It might not have occurred to you but when you post huge picture files to the board, you slow down the board for everyone and some members without a high speed connection can't access the boards at all. There should be another way for you to have this information without affecting how everyone else uses the board. Provide links to webshots or photobucket or something but don't block others from using the boards. I'll leave these picture files up for one more day so everyone can get the information but then I have to remove it. Too many members have complained about the access issues. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

It might not have occurred to you but when you post huge picture files to the board, you slow down the board for everyone and some members without a high speed connection can't access the boards at all. There should be another way for you to have this information without affecting how everyone else uses the board. Provide links to webshots or photobucket or something but don't block others from using the boards. I'll leave these picture files up for one more day so everyone can get the information but then I have to remove it. Too many members have complained about the access issues. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

Dear Host Celia:

I appreciate very much your explainations as I fully understand now your intentions behind the erase of the postings.

We could discuss if it would have been nicer to explain it earlier before I had to do the double job.

Let's try to find a solution which helps me to present with pictures instaed of words as English is not my native English and I think one picture says more than thousand words - and you to reduce the capacity.

For a good order's sake I should mention that I am using a compressed photo format which is stored on fotki. Therefore even for those without high speed access it is very accessible.

I will send you an e-mail and ask you to replace the postings with the photos by a link.

Thanks again for your explainations and your support.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I am taking a private tour in Berlin, but need information on taking the train to get there.

Thanx in advance

Have a look here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=454630

and

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=533783

If you tell me your ship's name and your day of travel I'll check for you the connections.

Have a great day in Berlin

WILLKOMMEN IN DEUTSCHLAND

Welcome to Germany

HeinBloed

Dear Host Celia:

I appreciate very much your explainations as I fully understand now your intentions behind the erase of the postings.

We could discuss if it would have been nicer to explain it earlier before I had to do the double job.

I would have e mailed you and told you what was happening but I don't have e mail addresses for members unless I come across them on the board. I didn't know how to contact you. I'm also just a volunteer here with a full time job and a small child and I don't have the time it takes to search out e mails. I'm sorry for your inconvenience. A quick e mail to me would have gotten you an answer much faster.

Let's try to find a solution which helps me to present with pictures instaed of words as English is not my native English and I think one picture says more than thousand words - and you to reduce the capacity.

For a good order's sake I should mention that I am using a compressed photo format which is stored on fotki. Therefore even for those without high speed access it is very accessible.

I don't exactly understand how bandwidth and speed work but 4 members e mailed me saying the board wouldn't load during peak times and three members said the threads you created wouldn't load. Maybe a dial up connection has a hard time even with compressed files? However it works, hopefully there's a way for you to create a file or web page, etc. where these things can exist. It's very good information and helpful to so many people.
I will send you an e-mail and ask you to replace the postings with the photos by a link.
Sure...let me know and I can put the threads back.

You live in Germany? We love it there. My best friend and her family live in the Black Forest area (Maulberg, Tautneburg, Lorrach) and we visit at least once a year.

You live in Germany? We love it there. My best friend and her family live in the Black Forest area (Maulberg, Tautneburg, Lorrach) and we visit at least once a year.

Americans would say "just round the corner"... although it's 2 1/2 hour away from Lörrach.

If you land in Frankfurt and drive to your friends alongside the Interstate 5 or taking the train towards Freiburg you'll just pass after 30 minutes the place I am living.

The area called Bergstraße (Mountain Road = already named by the Romans Viale Montana) / Highlands of Odenwald). It's the area south of Darmstadt / north of Heidelberg/Mannheim.

So I better should privileges to consult river cruisers on Rhine, Main and Neckar...

Thanks again and hope you got my e-mail incl. suggestion.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If you land in Frankfurt and drive to your friends alongside the Interstate 5 or taking the train towards Freiburg you'll just pass after 30 minutes the place I am living.
Ahhhh Freiburg. We went to one of the best Christmas festivals in Freiburg a few years ago. I can still taste the Gluewein. :)
Thanks again and hope you got my e-mail incl. suggestion.
You sent me an e mail? I didn't get anything.

In order to contribute something to the Warnemunde discussion...when I did the Baltic cruise on the Dream, we took the day tour to Berlin. We hope to go back and spend time in Warnemunde.

Bohhh... nobody loves me... even not your SPAM-Filter of your E-Mail-Provider...

O.K. no secrets:

Hello Cecilia,

thanks again for your explainations.

Please edit as follows - but it's very important in this order:

32 - 37 - please erase completely

31 please erase content and replace by:

In order to keep the information in another format: you'll find the original information for

DIY BAD DOBERAN / MOLLI-TRAIN TO HEILIGENDAMM-KÜHLUNGSBORN BY TRAIN as pdf-file for your download.

22 - 29 - please erase completely

21 please erase content and replace by:

In order to keep the information in another format: you'll find the original information for

DIY LÜBECK - WISMAR - BAD DOBERAN / MOLLI-TRAIN TO HEILIGENDAMM-KÜHLUNGSBORN BY CAR as pdf-file for your download.

Can you live with this suggestion. So all tour photos will be found in the pdf-files.

It would be great if the introducing pictures of the cities can remain there.

Thanks again.

But now I have to get to Hamburg to see MSC LIRICA and to go on COSTA CLASSICA/JEWEL OF THE SEAS...

Regards,

HeinBloed

:confused: i have read the many helpful posts from heinbloed and he has helped us make some decisions. here is our situation: we are on the regatta and will be in warnemunde tues. july 10, 2007. we have decided not to make the long day of going to and from berlin. what would be our best use of time for that day? we are reluctant to rent a car (although we would if that's the absolute best idea) and would rather take a train(s) to a suggested destination(s). we are there from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. which itinerary would you suggest? we have never been in germany before. please help me sort out all of the information. thanks.:confused:

As I am actually on JEWEL OF THE SEAS and the Internet-access is so slow, expensive and lousy:

please apology to ask you for your patience to respond to your question when I am back in Germany on Wednesday.

I will keep an eye on your request.

Promised.

Regards,

HeinBloed

:confused: i have read the many helpful posts from heinbloed and he has helped us make some decisions. here is our situation: we are on the regatta and will be in warnemunde tues. july 10, 2007. we have decided not to make the long day of going to and from berlin. what would be our best use of time for that day? we are reluctant to rent a car (although we would if that's the absolute best idea) and would rather take a train(s) to a suggested destination(s). we are there from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. which itinerary would you suggest? we have never been in germany before. please help me sort out all of the information. thanks.:confused:

Willkommen in Deutschland - welcome to Germany.

The question is: what are you interested in?

Potsdam + Rheinsberg??? Great palaces...

Wismar + Schwerin + Ludwigslust??? Northern lifestyle...

Lübeck + Hamburg + "Autobahn"??? West German highlights and speed...

Bad Doberan + Molli-Train + Rostock??? Local attractions...

I do not know your personal preferences. Let me know what you like to do and see how we can combine some places that you will not be disappointed while you are in Germany!

Regards,

HeinBloed

thanks for your interest and help. what do you mean by "great places"- is that itinerary local beauty, interesting historical sites, etc? i also do not know what "northern lifestyle" means. basically, since we are on this cruise for almost two weeks, i think we would like to see what that area in germany is like without doing too many hours of train travelling. i would like to find out about two itineraries that you mentioned in previous posts, rostok-schwern, and wismar-lubek. how could we "do" either one of these? what is your best pick? thanks again, bmk:)

It's not easy:

You are from Philadelphia, PA.

So big cities might not be interesting for you.

So Hamburg is already out - beside you like museums, ports and red-light-amusement-districts... but you can get this in Philadelphia as well...

So you do not like to travel too long. Is 2.5 hrs driving for you too long??? It's the half way to Pittsburgh...

Look at this website: http://www.spsg.de/index.php?id=32

Do you like it? I promise it's time worth to see it!!!

I would take all my American and Asian friends to this place and I am sure I would be their best buddy... and when I will see them in there places there will be thousands of photos showing me and them in front of the pittoresque parks and palaces...

Do you like Lancester PA and Pennsylvania Dutch County??? It's the same distance from Warnemünde to Lübeck.

Then you are right to see Lübeck - Schwerin - Rostock.

Smaller cities with a certain charme and nice food, nice restaurants, nice landscapes - maybe exactly what someone need from a big city: just the big contrast!

Or do you like Octoberfest in Munich and everything what you picture from Germany??? Mostly it's Bavarian so the Southern Lifestyle. I can offer you the opposite: brickstone buildings, windmills, seaside, wooden frame houses and thatched roof...

Send me an e-mail with your e-mail-address.

Let me send you something to prepare and decide.

Regards,

HeinBloed

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

All you need to do is to replace nickname by my individual nickname here in this forum.

dear heinbloed,

you are a very informative and funny advice source. actually, we live 20 miles outside of philly, but we do get into the "big cities" of philly and new york quite often. we have been to lancaster and it is only about 1-1/2 hour drive for us- not much to see there, however. we would rather take trains in germany than drive. normally we do like to drive in a new country, as we did in croatia, but for one day we would rather leave the "driving" to the train, if possible. let me know what you can up with and contact me at berkahan@aol.com. thanks for your help.:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping that the Wonderful Heinbloed would be able to help our family wth train travels from Warnemunde to Lubeck - and include Schwerin (or Ronstock) as a second city. I loved your description of Schwerin in combinaton with Lubeck showing the contract between East and the West.

We are a total of eight people in a three generational family on NCL Dream. We really are looking forward to a visit to the marzipan store in Lubeck (it is a big family favorite!)

We wish to travel by train. (And perhaps partially travel by boat if available.) What would be our best train travels to the two cities ???

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU WISE WORDS OF WISDOM!

I am hoping that the Wonderful Heinbloed would be able to help our family wth train travels from Warnemunde to Lubeck - and include Schwerin (or Ronstock) as a second city. I loved your description of Schwerin in combinaton with Lubeck showing the contract between East and the West.

We are a total of eight people in a three generational family on NCL Dream. We really are looking forward to a visit to the marzipan store in Lubeck (it is a big family favorite!)

We wish to travel by train. (And perhaps partially travel by boat if available.) What would be our best train travels to the two cities ???

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU WISE WORDS OF WISDOM!

Thanks for your compliments.

May I ask you: how old are your children??? (Just for ticketing reason).

As you are not travelling "tomorrow" please accept a small "delay" with my response.

I am sitting every Friday and Sunday 3 1/2 hour in the train and will developpe for you an individual plan.

I am very curious about your comments about Schwerin. When I was there it was like breathing another air. They try to be as "Western" as a Western city. But you can see on some corners - it's not the same like in Lübeck.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Write me an e-mail:

CRUISECRITIC (at) nickname-onboard dot de

Please replace my nickname by my nickname as used here in the forum.

I'll send you something to prepare your tour.

Just for me:

NCL DREAM, Fri, July 06, 07-21

Good Afternoon HeinBloed,

The compliment is well deserved by you!!! I always read your responses with interest as I can see that you have knowledge of your area, and humor too!

The ages in our traveling group have a huge range - > 12, 15, 18, (which are the grandchildren) 48, 52, 55, (which are the adult children) 78, and 80 (which are the grandparents who originally are from Eastern Europe).

You had previously commented on Schwerin and Lubeck as being some of your two favorite cities to visit. Being that I trust your point of view in traveling, I was interested in including Schwerin in our excursion to Lubeck. (or would Rostock make more sense as part of the travels?)

How long does it take to get to Lubeck by train? We are in port from 7:00 a.m. until 9:00p.m. (2100).

Our cruise leaves England on July 4, so we are not in a rush. I am sending you an email so we can communicate 1:1

Thank you - redwinemom

I am fine...

Got 2 e-mails from you and 1 is responded...

We should use more traditional ways:

Carrier Pigeons... (if GPS available 52° 11' 36.48" N / 10° 28' 40.17" E)

Flying Doctors...

Western Union...

So do not worry: your request is attended!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived