Why Aren't More "CCers" Using the Roll Call to Enhance Your Cruise Experience?

wiselindag

I have been on many cruises, but have only begun to use the Roll Call as a tool for my last two or three cruises. I wanted to share with those of you who have booked cruises, but haven't been on the Roll Calls why it's a good idea. One of the main reasons I love cruising is the opportunity to meet lots of people from different places and life circumstances. IMHO this week-long exchange (or longer if you're lucky enough to be on a longer cruise) is a pleasure and often leads to more lasting friendships.

Since we don't travel in a group, and our son prefers to go off and do his own thing (so much easier with freestyle!), the advantage of meeting people on the boards before the sailing is obvious -- we have friends on the ship before we ever get there! On my last two sailings the groups met right after the muster drill on the first day (so we'd have faces to go with the names) and then met again at a "CC party." On both sailings, we were able to get to know each other and also meet ships' officers at the gathering. I found this to be a terrific feature, although I realize not every ship provides this opportunity. It is very helpful to have NCL set up a gathering in a quiet spot with refreshments. By far the biggest advantage from my viewpoint is the attendance of ships officers who can answer all sorts of questions and trouble-shoot for you. As you move around the ship they will remember you and greet you.

On our Christmas/New Years Cruise on the Spirit we were able to sign up for dinner with the ship's officers during our gathering. Some spots at this dinner were reserved for the CC group and as luck would have it, my husband and I had dinner with the Captain. This was my 20th cruise, and chatting with the Captain for an entire dinner really made it special. The Captain of the NCL Spirit is a terrific and charming host. My husband was able to ask all the nautical questions he had stored up (ex-Navy officer). Every time I saw the Captain after that dinner, he stopped to chat with me and made me feel valued and special. I know that everyone in our group who sat with an officer that night enjoyed themselves.

While the gatherings and the Officers Dinner sign-up are not available on all NCL ships (according to posts I've read), I think they should be (so I hope someone from the Sun is reading this!!). Anyway, the chance to get to know people before the sailing, share questions, sometimes arrange a group excursion, and otherwise anticipate the event together makes it all more fun. If we have a large enough group, we can contact the Coordinator and try to set up the "formal" gathering. At the least we can do an informal one.

So, why aren't more people using the Roll Calls? I know many individuals like to lurk on these Boards and feel funny about posting, but it's really easy and the cruise critic group is so friendly, that it would be great if more of you would join us over on the Roll Call for your cruise!

Our roll call is quite active - but not as much as it could be. We're on the 5/20 sailing of the Pearl. I've noticed, though, virtually no one is posting on the July roll calls. I have a friend leaving on 7/22 and she says no one else is posting. Why?

In February (hi fellow Groundhogs) we had an amazing group. The rollcall is still active and we consider some of these people friends that we will meet again.

We don't ask for any "confidential" information. A first name, your state, type of stateroom, maybe a little background, but certainly nothing like your SSN, PIN, etc. :eek: ;)

DW and I met an amazing group of people, many of whom we now consider to be friends, on the Groundhog cruise this past February. We are cruising with a few again in November and with several next February. If you've been debating whether to join a roll call or not, don't hesitate. Just DO IT!:D

No one has posted anything in the roll call I started for the Nov. 26th sailing of the POH.

I have to admit I was hesitant at first because it will be our honeymoon, and I'm sure that we will like a lot of time alone (won't be as "social" as usual). ;)

My opinion is that I think that a lot of people want to scope out the others posting, see if they are "cool" and perhaps then will make contact. Maybe they are afraid that they will be stuck for the cruise hanging out with strangers that they don't really like.

I don't see any harm in a short get-together, but I can understand where they are coming from.

I used the roll call for the first time on my last cruise and was very glad I did. I met some great people, had dinner with some and still keep in touch with a few of them!

Hi James.

See everybody, this is half the fun of CC. We had dinner with James and other CCers and it just enhanced the experience.

:confused: I've noticed that some roll calls have 20# pages and others (such as the one I'm on) have 1 page or even less. Is there a difference because of the ship/cruise line/cruise destination? Has anyone noted where the busier roll calls are?

We joined our roll call late in the game cause we booked last minute, but I sure am glad we did. We made great friends, mazing memories to last a lifetime and got great discounts and awesome tours along the way!

I always join my roll call.

My DH told me I'd become friends with "psychos or dorks we couldn't get rid off". I joined anyway!

And were they Psycos or Dorks?

I see you are from Phila. There is a group of us that are meeting for lunch Saturday 30 June

Philly Cruisers Meet and Mingle Here

from

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44364&page=62

Hi James.

See everybody, this is half the fun of CC. We had dinner with James and other CCers and it just enhanced the experience.

That was a fun dinner! Im glad you caught me in the hallway. Its great running into people during the cruise. It makes it alot of fun.

One of my fav movie quotes is from Titanic. When Jack (leo D) was dining at the first class table and its something like "well just yesterday I was sleeping under a bridge, and today im dining with you fine people on the grandest ship in the world!" I like that quote alot, reminds me of having dinner with CC people on the ships.

I've noticed that a lot of people on the roll calls never come to the meetings...We have met some really incredible people on roll calls and still cruise with some of them.....Our current roll call for the Pearl in Oct has very few people posting, maybe it's too far away to get excited about..I'm always excited about another cruise....Dennis

We have over 41 pages on our Nov 3rd Spirit rollcall with 83 people going. We still have 6 months to go before we sail. We have the majority willing to meet before the muster drill and than again for the formal meet & greet on the first sea day.

Dave

We have over 41 pages on our Nov 3rd Spirit rollcall with 83 people going. We still have 6 months to go before we sail. We have the majority willing to meet before the muster drill and than again for the formal meet & greet on the first sea day.

Dave

thats quite a nice group! Should be fun. I rather have just a few people though. 5-15 so you get to know everyone.

We have met some great groups from the roll calls. I am still in contact with some of the people from those cruises. It greatly enhanced my cruise experience. If you don't like the people you meet, no one says you have to spend the rest of the cruise with them. Just say hello and keep walking if they drive you nuts. Maybe the feeling is mutual! If you don't want to meet your new friends to play Bingo or trivia, just say no. ;)

Our roll call (Pearl 4/13/07) was active for almost 9 months before our sail date:) , thanks mainly to the incredible Jann from Australia who kept all of us excited as the planning process moved forward. Our meet/greet had a huge turn-out with 5 or 6 officers attending (and Simon the CD) - LeBistrol was jam packed with fellow Cruiseroos. Jann made name tages with kangaroo pins for each of us!

She organized a group dinner with almost 50 people attending; I organized a bowling tournament (Michel and HD came down, as did Simon to see if we needed anything) which was very well-attended with everyone having a blast!

It was great to see fellow roll call members throughout the week on the various excursions also.

Join your roll call - and if there isn't one started, you be the first! You cannot imagine how the people you meet will enhance your cruise experience. Our last 6 cruises we've met-up with fellow cc'ers on-board and each time it has been a great experience.

I've wondered the same thing about Roll Calls. I prefer to (selfishly) think that others just haven't discovered CC yet and that there are only a few of us who know all the good tips and advice from these boards!:)

For example, according to our (poorly attended) roll call, there will only be about 12 of us in Windows eating lunch on the day of embarkation while everyone else is trying to get through the lines in Raffles:D .

Sea Hound

My DH told me I'd become friends with "psychos or dorks we couldn't get rid off". I joined anyway!

event.png

He is half right - we all are a little crazy to be here in the first place.:D I can say I have meet some very good friends on the roll calls. I have met many that I loved cruising with and look forward to being onboard another ship with. I have always enjoyed passing the folks you now know from the M&G onboard comparing notes even if you don't hang out together.

I have had a M&G with just two of us and some with over a 100. It is fun to see different subgroup friendships form online and at the M&G. Hard to figure what makes one roll call take off and others to lay dormant. I think it take a small core of posters who's excitement draws in the lurkers.

The benefits out weigh and risk of jumping into a rollcall. If nothing else having a chance to get face time and contact information for the officers at the M&G is priceless in making sure your cruise is a positive event. A group dinner, bowling, and even booking small private tours can add to any cruise.

Most important for me is boarding a ship and already knowing (even if it is online) a few folks on the ship.

I can say having a roll call with more then 40,000 posts was a little bit of an overkill :rolleyes: :D 13,000 was about right :eek:

On our first NCL cruise last October, I was directed to our roll call by someone here...I think his moniker was "Big Al." It was the best thing I could have done...I concur with shoreguy that it's nice to be able to meet and say "hey" to folks as you go around the ship - gives one a sense of community while you're far away from things familiar.

Our current roll call is having very limited participation - I post every now and then and King Marcus/sneakerstud recently joined - he's one lively wire but he's just one person.

I'm hoping that once we get closer to leaving more will join in. It's so much fun to post that LAST POST on the roll call - because FINALLY you're on your way.

We shall see.

Ciao,

W A W W

I can say having a roll call with more then 40,000 posts was a little bit of an overkill :rolleyes: :D 13,000 was about right :eek:

We only have around 2,600 posts for our upcoming cruise, but we have until the end of October. :D

Archived