Why Aren't More "CCers" Using the Roll Call to Enhance Your Cruise Experience?

wiselindag

I posted on the roll call early and waited a long time before someone responded. I felt like me and DH were gonna man the boat ourselves.

We have a few people on the roll call list now and hopefully more people will respond. If not if anyone is going on the Dawn June 30th Cruise let me know we would love to meet you.

It is my first cruise with DH and we are both looking forward to it.

These threads are my lifeline to cruising these days I enjoy all the posts and have learned alot from all of you.

Thank you

Lauren:)

As of 8:05 EST, today, we've had 37,793 views of our Groundhog Roll Call on the Pearl. Even better, many of us are still communicating on it! (the cruise was over 3 months ago!:eek: ) Also, several of us that met via this roll call are cruising together next year on the Sun. And some of us are getting together tomorrow evening for dinner! You never know how many new friends you'll make by joining in.:D

It seems like there is no clear reason for active or slow roll calls. The roll call for my Tahiti cruise, on a ship with less than 700 passengers, has over 2100 posts. The roll call for my Med cruise on a ship with 3 times the number of passengers has less than 100 posts. Both roll calls were started in the same month. I'm glad at least one of the two is active. It would have been really boring this past year if they were both slow.

Chris

Firstly, let me be clear that in NO WAY am I implying that anybody involved was a psycho or dork. That said, my family and I participated in an extremely active roll call for our RCCL sailing last summer. When I say active, I mean it - 2,500 posts before we sailed and the thing is STILL active for goodness sakes:eek: !

While it seemed like fun on the boards and really pumped up the excitement about going, it turned into a sucking vortex on board the ship. The "Core Group" was adamant about everyone meeting, mingling and being TOGETHER. Without thinking about the consequences we had indeed revealed WAY too much identifying information on the boards and the "Core Group" was easily able to track (think something more like stalk) us down. Unfortunately, we ended up being made to feel very rude in declining their repeated invitations (think something more like demands).:o

We realize now that what we personally really value in a vacation is the opportunity to devote time to each other - as a couple and as a family. Meeting new "friends" is totally not on our agenda. Therefore, I doubt we will ever participate in another roll call. Bottom line, those who like it, like it a lot. Us, not so much.

Happy Sails,

Annette

While it seemed like fun on the boards and really pumped up the excitement about going, it turned into a sucking vortex on board the ship. The "Core Group" was adamant about everyone meeting, mingling and being TOGETHER. Without thinking about the consequences we had indeed revealed WAY too much identifying information on the boards and the "Core Group" was easily able to track (think something more like stalk) us down. Unfortunately, we ended up being made to feel very rude in declining their repeated invitations (think something more like demands).:o
This isn't the only problem that can come up. I was reading a roll call today and one member mentioned that they just booked and they're next door to another CCer. The person that just booked then said that they hoped the CCer didn't mind being in a room next to a kid. The CCer in the next room then posted that they do indeed mind and they don't think a cruise will be enjoyable having a kid in the next room and that they shouldn't bring their 1 year old along. Those people aren't sailing for another 7 months. How enjoyable will that be once they're on board?

I think that the results of a CC are reflective of "someone" taking a lead and driving the ship. In the case of the "Spirit: on 11/03/07, it's you Dave. Keep up the good work, and Penny and I look forward to meeting up with yoy and all the rest after Drill Muster

Firstly, let me be clear that in NO WAY am I implying that anybody involved was a psycho or dork. That said, my family and I participated in an extremely active roll call for our RCCL sailing last summer. When I say active, I mean it - 2,500 posts before we sailed and the thing is STILL active for goodness sakes:eek: !

We realize now that what we personally really value in a vacation is the opportunity to devote time to each other - as a couple and as a family. Meeting new "friends" is totally not on our agenda. Therefore, I doubt we will ever participate in another roll call. Bottom line, those who like it, like it a lot. Us, not so much.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Thank you for saying what I had been thinking. It's just not for everyone. We prefer to spend time together and/or with family. If we meet people along the way, great; if we don't, great. No pressure, no expectations, and we don't have to see them again (or find out that they're "disappointed" in us for not being part of the group and have reported that here on the boards).

beachchick

This isn't the only problem that can come up. I was reading a roll call today and one member mentioned that they just booked and they're next door to another CCer. The person that just booked then said that they hoped the CCer didn't mind being in a room next to a kid. The CCer in the next room then posted that they do indeed mind and they don't think a cruise will be enjoyable having a kid in the next room and that they shouldn't bring their 1 year old along. Those people aren't sailing for another 7 months. How enjoyable will that be once they're on board?

Actually, now I would look at the roll call as a public service. You know a child is next to you and you can move your cabin since it is 6 months ahead of time. Only problem is the fear of the unknown. You can be next to drunkin crazies.

Personally, I have met people on this board over living close together. Noticed they lived in my town, posted about gathering to talk about cruises and now have had great friends for over 3 years. We've been there for birthdays, weddings, weekend trips to the shore and now crusing. We actually planned our families cruises together and our girls only cruise. So in fact the boards are there for what you want out of them.

Being active in the roll call for our February cruise on the Dream made it a lot more fun for us. We got together for a drink on embarkation day and then just had people we knew by name to say hi to around the ship. I have found that our fellow cruisers are doing their own thing like we are and are no more interested in attching themselves to us than we are to them. Also it was fun having a small group meeting with the officers of the ship.

Barb

WOW...some people have true nerve...I alsways get a bit of a chuckle at stuff like this...I work in a Restauraunt...we are a family restauraunt and people come in all the time and will ask for a table away from any children...why are they dining in a family place...ugh...anyway...personally I do not ever give out my cabin number...or even the floor I am going to be on...I saw in an early post on this thread that roll calls ask for Name, Cabin Number, Social #, ETC...I have never seen this...thats sounds like a prision roll call not a Cruise roll call..we are leaving in June on the Spirit...we have a very active roll call...and I am looking forward to the meet and greet....:)

I booked my cruise (NCL Spirit) leaving from NY on 7/1/07 a year ago.....started up the Roll Call thing and there has been only one person who responded ......i tried again two more times since booking to get a thread started for that sailing date.....nothing............

We are sailing with a group of friends so we are fine for company....but it is always nice to add new faces to the group.....

WOW...some people have true nerve...
Yeah...I thought it was a bit nervy too. But as sayheyrenee said, maybe it was a good thing so that couple can look into a different room.

Maybe it's a little late to jump into this discussin, :) but I thought I'd add my thoughts too.

This is the first time we've joined a roll call, and our 3rd cruise since being on Cruise Critics. I think part of it is getting used to CC...you get to know certain people on the boards, and you see that lots of people reference the roll calls. I know for me, after hearing about the meet and greets and the many positive comments of those who had participated, I thought "why not?"

So I am really excited about getting to know my fellow 6/24 Pearl cruisers right now, and it'll be fun to meet them onboard the ship. I get the sense on our roll call that no one is really overbearing, so maybe that makes me feel better. :p I think I just realized how much it's heightened others' experiences onboard and I am eager to try it out!

This is an interesting thread...glad it was started! :D

My DH and I are leaving for a Russian Waterways Cruise in July. Since I posted a Roll Call months ago and no one has responded, I am just assuming that we are the only two going and that we will have this small ship to ourselves! Same with our SA trip next March. Is no one going to be with us on the Dream? While I don't expect to make life long friends, it is so nice to connect with people from all over the world. Last year my husband and I booked a Med cruise on NCL. Several months before we sailed he became critically ill. We thought we would have to cancel. By that time I had connected and formed friendships with several people on CC Roll CAll. One wonderful woman, (who posts all the time) kept me connected and positive through those very difficult months. We managed to make the cruise taking with us both a walker and a cane (or as one CC friend called them - Johnny Walker and Kandy Kane)....but also with the help of the wonderful folks we met through the CC Roll Call. We have kept in touch with several of them via e-mail and will always be eternally grateful to them for helping us through that cruise....especially getting from ship to Tender and from Tender to solid ground. Anyone who has cruised knows how it is to get down the ramp from deck 6 and on to a tender! I only have positive things to say about Roll Call....more folks need to join. On the other hand, it is nice to keep thinking that we will have the ship to ourselves :)

I am on the Gem 10/21 sailing, and it took about 4 months for someone else to add to the roll call. We are up to 4 people on our roll call.

The winner of the Gem roll call thread is the 2/6/08 run by shoreguy which is already up to 51 pages and they still have 268 days to go. I wonder how long that one will be by the time February comes around.:eek:

I am on the Gem 10/21 sailing, and it took about 4 months for someone else to add to the roll call. We are up to 4 people on our roll call.

The winner of the Gem roll call thread is the 2/6/08 run by shoreguy which is already up to 51 pages and they still have 268 days to go. I wonder how long that one will be by the time February comes around.:eek:

About 12,000 posts if you count all the different roll calls for that cruise on the internet. :eek: Ridiculous:D :rolleyes:

The CC roll call is perfect - lots of members - most of the posts focused on the cruise. Many folks that have cruised together before and even more that we all get to meet for the first time. I think that group has over 50% of the aft facing cabins booked.

I've decided the secret to an active roll-guy is to have Shoreguy on your sailing :D . Everyone seems to see his name and runs, not walks, to post to the roll call.

It does help too, if you have a core group who has cruised together before. For our sailing on the Jewel, we were known as FOMT w/o Mr. T. -- Friends of Mr. Tractor, who had sailed before, and even thought Mr. T. wasn't joining us, that group the knew each other definitely sparked the roll-call.

The downside to that, however, is that sometimes the groups that have cruised before can be intimidating to new comers. We had quite a few people post who came to the sail-away party, but didn't return for the meet and greet. I don't know if they just got busy, or if they didn't feel welcomed by the existing FOMT gang. Even thought we hadn't been part of that group before, I had the benefit of having corresponded by email with one of the FOMT members for about two years prior to sailing , so we didn't have the sense of being excluded that I kind of got the impression that others might be feeling.

On our Dawn rollcall, we all knew eachother's real names well before departure. I made up nametags and custom doorsigns for everybody.

We met for sailaway, and all had drinks and a wonderful time. Our meet and mingle was well attended, and featured all of us wearing our St. Patrick's day gear....it looked like downtown chicago more than the Norwegian Dawn.

There were several officers in attendance at ours, as well, all dressed in their formal attire. The cruise director, Jimmy, was there as well.

We were hesitant (esp DW) about "having to spend time with these people" but it turned out that the core group were SUCH a wonderful group of people, that we wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

We loved how anytime we stopped in a public area for more than 10 minutes...we always ended up the center of a crowd of people, laughing and recounting the day together! There was nothing formal or oppressive about it. It was just pure fun.

I will never take another cruise without a roll call again!

Dear Friends,

I just wanted to say thank you to the many people who have responded to this thread. Since most of the responses were positive, I hope more people will give the Roll Calls a try. Of course it's true that you can meet unpleasant people on the Roll Call or at a gathering, but these are large ships and, as many have pointed out, you can just go your own way once you are on the ship.

As for the question of what causes some roll calls to have many posts, and others hardly any, I guess it just depends on who is sailing, whether your fellow cruisers are on the CC boards, and how interesting the roll call seems to potential participants.

There's no doubt that all the boards -- NCL, Ports, and Roll Calls are interesting and I learn all sorts of useful information on all three. As someone recently pointed out, we knew about lunch in the dining room on the first day from CC posts. I was amazed at how empty the room was and how many people said they didn't know it was an option (upon entering everyone was told to have lunch in the buffet!). Tips like that keep me checking all the Boards.... so, keep it coming!

I POSTED A ROLL CALL FOR THE GEM SAILING 4/12/08 AND FINALLY GO ONE RESPONSE AND 50+ VIEWS. I am hoping once time goes by, more people will actually book a cruise on the Gem and sail with us. I met some lovely folks on the Spirit in April and we met for about an hour the first day at sea and then bumped into each other during the cruise and would exchange stories. No stalking, or awkward invites, just real nice folks. Don't worry, you will get more passangers interested as time gets closer. I didn't join until about 3 weeks before. (because I was new to site).:)

I have been a part of many roll calls from begging to get people to sign up to over a 140 people being at CC party on board Celebrity. I can certainly understand people being concerned about too much info, stalking and demands on my time. However, I have found these to be minimal and the advantages being far greater.

My thought is the European cruises will never be as active as the US cruises due to the large percentage of Europeans on these cruises and the lack of exposure of CC to them or maybe lack of interest on their part. On our transatlantic cruise on celebrity we had 140 members actually show up at the party and many side excursions were planned as well as 20 of us getting tables to eat together.

Some the biggest benefits were the CC members who located a discovery scuba tour in St. Thomas ( 8 CC'ers attended), to the CC'er who arranged a 50 passenger motorcoach to transfer from Rome to Citavechia for 9 Euros p/p, to planning a Toulum tour for $40 p/p instead of the shore excursion rate of $90, to planning some smaller shore excursions at much better rates, to just having some people to be friendly with as you pass on the ship or to have a leisurely drink to playing trivia with.

I have been from extremely active groups where we had gift exchanges and t-shirts made to where there were only 3 couples that showed.

In all, we have had a great time participating in Roll Calls and will continue to do so.

BTW, go over to our Roll Call if you happen to be sailing the Oct. 28 NCL Gem. I'm lonely.

For those of you interested, there's a Roll Call for the Pearl sailing to Alaska on 6/3/07. There's only a few of us so far on the Roll Call so for those of you reading here who are on this sailing, please join our Roll Call and share with us your plans/ideas and excitement for this sailing!!

I've been active, on some past cruises, in putting together Cruiser groups on board. Sometimes we've had good response, sometimes not. Sometimes my wife and I have "hit it off" with those we have met - sometimes we haven't.

In general I have been the one making the contacts and arranging the on-board meetings, while my wife has patiently gone along. She preferes her vacation to be hers, not something to share with stangers.

For our next cruise on which we will be celbrating our 50th b'days, both happening this year, and our 10th anniversary happening next year, we will not be seeking out CCers or CMers. I have to say, I am on her side this time. This vacation is about getting away together, being together, and enjoying each others company. If we make aquaintances on board great, but we aren't off to find any new best friends nor do we need the distraction of others for a successful vacation.

Back when I took two or three of these a year trying to get groups together now and then was fun. Now, I am only taking a cruise every second or third year and so am much more jealous of my own down time.

We have had great luck with the CC groups. We have friends we met thru the chats and the gatherings that we keep in contact with, enjoy greatly and hope to cruise with again.

We have a CC party in the planning for Feb 3rd on the Dream! Join us! The lead is in the rollcall section!

Hello to all our past CC friends!

Archived