What did you wish you had with you?

CC Help Michell

• Administrators

The "cheat sheet" thread made me think of this idea. My previous cruises have always been made better in small ways by thinking in advance about stuff I might/will need but might not pack in the normal course of events (once I went to Canada for a week without a single pair of socks! Packing lists rule and I have used one ever since -- and let's face it, no regular here is a "seat of the pants" traveler -- we have to research and plan, right?!!) Obviously, with airline baggage restrictions, etc. you can't bring everything you own with you on a Hawaii cruise (though George Carlin would disagree about the need for his "stuff!"). However, most of the things I have been jotting down aren't large or heavy, and will add considerably to the quality of life on our upcoming cruise.

I thought about posting this on the regular NCL cruise board, but I realized a lot of the following items were added to my (ever-growing) packing list for our July POH cruise after reading posts on THESE boards, on such a port-intensive itinerary. Most of these are things you can get in Hawaii, but I personally don't want to spend valuable touring time visiting WalMart more than I have to! These are in no particular order, and YMMV on whether you would use them at all. I hope others will add things to this thread -- you never know when what you thought of as a "necessity," that went without saying, someone else hadn't thought of at all, and will really appreciate!

Here's my list (so far):

Scotch tape/small stapler (baggage tags both ways)

Freezeable "blue ice" type pack

Collapsible cooler (for water/soda for beach excursions or driving around)

Extra pair of sunglasses (one of my favorite pairs was lost forever at Dunn's River Falls on Jamaica, and I wound up with icky ones from the ship gift shop for the rest of the cruise)

Lanyard (and hole punch) for Ship ID/charge card

DEET bug wipes, individually wrapped (thanks Beachchick)

Sunscreen (large bottles and small, portable ones)

Sun hat

Water shoes (or opt for the new extremely lightweight combination sneakers/water shoes with excellent support for walking, but which shed water -- I got mine at Abbadabba's, the brand is Salomon -- I can bike down from Haleakala and walk right into the ocean in them!)

Water Boxes (a/k/a "beach safes") for keys, money, ship ID at beaches

Binoculars

Power Strip for cabin (esp. for electronics like laptop -- which we are bringing because we can burn photos to CD and clear the camera memory stick, and our IPODs charge through the laptop USB port)

Cords for any electronics (once we forgot the USB cable from camera to computer -- guess what? They don't sell them in Aruba or Curacao and we spent the last half of the trip trying to figure out which pics to save and which to delete so we could take more)

Cell phone recharger

Batteries -- lots -- Sam's Club or Costco before you go, for digital camera

Bottled water and soft drinks (these we will buy in HNL before boarding)

First aid kit (including Bonine or Dramamine, band aids, blister meds/pads, corn pads, aloe lotion, Pepto Bismol, cold remedies)

Heavy duty moisturizer for after sun days

Giant black office paper clamps (for holding towels to beach chairs, and bathing suits and drip dry items in the cabin bathroom)

Our own beach towels (or perhaps we'll buy some at Aloha Swap Meet before embarkation)

A "beach bag" -- any nylon bag with a shoulder strap to hold beach essentials -- I found one at Walmart here that is large enough to hold our snorkels, masks, and fins, with room left over, for $14)

Discount cards (or potential discount cards -- AAA, AARP, union membership, military or retired ID, teacher ID, firefighters/police ID)

Okay, what have I forgotten? What did you wish YOU had brought with you?

Thought of two more and one possible change to your list. Not only Pepto but Extra strength Imodium. (works so much better and faster in those really uncomfortable times:o ) Small hand sanitizer bottles to bring with you on shore trips. (oops 1 more, small pkg of kleenex, alot of public restrooms a not fully stocked, if you know what I mean.:( )The change is buying rechargeable batteries and a charger, maybe more cost up front but well worth the investment and better for the environment:) .

I like bringing a nitelight for the bathroom. Also a travel candle to put in there to make it aromatically pleasing, if ya'll know what I mean.;)

Hmmm.... Not sure about the candle -- kind of a fire hazard :cool:

NCL does say, no, candles. And if they find liquor, bye, bye until after the cruise. Don't bring your travel iron, if found, they will take it away. There were racks and racks of bags that had liquor found, on my April cruise on POA.

Just thought I would let you know.:eek:

Trudy

Happy Mothers Day, mom's

The "cheat sheet" thread made me think of this idea. My previous cruises have always been made better in small ways by thinking in advance about stuff I might/will need but might not pack in the normal course of events (once I went to Canada for a week without a single pair of socks! Packing lists rule and I have used one ever since -- and let's face it, no regular here is a "seat of the pants" traveler -- we have to research and plan, right?!!) Obviously, with airline baggage restrictions, etc. you can't bring everything you own with you on a Hawaii cruise (though George Carlin would disagree about the need for his "stuff!"). However, most of the things I have been jotting down aren't large or heavy, and will add considerably to the quality of life on our upcoming cruise.

I thought about posting this on the regular NCL cruise board, but I realized a lot of the following items were added to my (ever-growing) packing list for our July POH cruise after reading posts on THESE boards, on such a port-intensive itinerary. Most of these are things you can get in Hawaii, but I personally don't want to spend valuable touring time visiting WalMart more than I have to! These are in no particular order, and YMMV on whether you would use them at all. I hope others will add things to this thread -- you never know when what you thought of as a "necessity," that went without saying, someone else hadn't thought of at all, and will really appreciate!

Here's my list (so far):

Scotch tape/small stapler (baggage tags both ways)

Definitely.

Freezeable "blue ice" type pack

Not useful unless you have a hotel stay with a real fridge. The PoH mini-bar/fridges do not have a freezer space and will not keep the blue ice cold enough to keep beverages cold or food safely chilled. Use either ziplocs (which are okay) or disposable food containers (you know, the ones by ziploc and glad and so forth that cost about 50 cents each) filled with ice. We switched from bags to containers for our cooler last trip and found them to be excellent with no leaks and easy to just dump out and rinse at the end of the day for reuse the next day.

Collapsible cooler (for water/soda for beach excursions or driving around)

An absolute must.

Extra pair of sunglasses (one of my favorite pairs was lost forever at Dunn's River Falls on Jamaica, and I wound up with icky ones from the ship gift shop for the rest of the cruise)

Yep. We always bring an extra pair. And I bring two extra pairs of prescription glasses.

Lanyard (and hole punch) for Ship ID/charge card

But of course.

DEET bug wipes, individually wrapped (thanks Beachchick)

My pleasure. Love those things.

Sunscreen (large bottles and small, portable ones)

Bring one bottle to get started, but go ahead and buy more as needed on the islands because prices really are not higher than on the mainland.

Sun hat

If you have a "squashable" one, bring that. It's great to just cram it into a backpack, tote, or whatever.

Water shoes (or opt for the new extremely lightweight combination sneakers/water shoes with excellent support for walking, but which shed water -- I got mine at Abbadabba's, the brand is Salomon -- I can bike down from Haleakala and walk right into the ocean in them!)

Sounds perfect.

Water Boxes (a/k/a "beach safes") for keys, money, ship ID at beaches

They are so convenient and give such a nice measure of security.

Binoculars

I wish that we had a pair that are stablized. The regular ones were okay, but with the ship moving--well, you get the picture.

Power Strip for cabin (esp. for electronics like laptop -- which we are bringing because we can burn photos to CD and clear the camera memory stick, and our IPODs charge through the laptop USB port)

I hear they are really handy.

Cords for any electronics (once we forgot the USB cable from camera to computer -- guess what? They don't sell them in Aruba or Curacao and we spent the last half of the trip trying to figure out which pics to save and which to delete so we could take more)

Oh man, what a bother that must have been.

Cell phone recharger

I love the newest tiny ones, unlike the old bricks we used to lug along.

Batteries -- lots -- Sam's Club or Costco before you go, for digital camera

Another thing you can buy there if necessary. Also not really more expensive than at home.

Bottled water and soft drinks (these we will buy in HNL before boarding)

Always do this. Will you have a car? If so, there are many places to stop and buy. Safeway, Foodland, and Longs have good prices. I don't know where there's a Costco or anything like that in Honolulu.

First aid kit (including Bonine or Dramamine, band aids, blister meds/pads, corn pads, aloe lotion, Pepto Bismol, cold remedies)

You just never know what my get you.

Heavy duty moisturizer for after sun days

And plain, not lidocaine, aloe gel. Great for after sun and if you've had just a bit too much. (Found out the hard way that lidocaine in aloe on a sunburn can cause a horrific reaction--Hello, Maui Memorial Hospital and thank goodness for travel insurance. The doctor told me it's a common reaction.)

Giant black office paper clamps (for holding towels to beach chairs, and bathing suits and drip dry items in the cabin bathroom)

Last trip was the first time DH had an "ah-ha" about them. We're bringing them from now on.

Our own beach towels (or perhaps we'll buy some at Aloha Swap Meet before embarkation)

I wouldn't bother bringing from home. They'll just take up precious luggage space. The ship ones are perfectly fine and all you have to do is check them out and then check them in when you get back on the ship. No worries about dealing with wet, sandy, dirty towels in your cabin.

A "beach bag" -- any nylon bag with a shoulder strap to hold beach essentials -- I found one at Walmart here that is large enough to hold our snorkels, masks, and fins, with room left over, for $14)

Does the bag have mesh or other "open" spaces? Wet snorkel gear does best in something that allows air in and out.

Discount cards (or potential discount cards -- AAA, AARP, union membership, military or retired ID, teacher ID, firefighters/police ID)

So nice. We've gotten many discounts over the years that way. Bring any grocery store ones you have which are for any of the Safeway group of stores (Vons, Pavilions, etc.). They are honored at the Safeways in Hawaii. Big savings on coke, water, and other sundries.

Okay, what have I forgotten? What did you wish YOU had brought with you?

We also bring hand-hend small battery operated fans. Very nice for cooling down on a hot day. Hand wipes come in really handy (so to speak) for travel days (alcohol gel in mini bottles too). Extra conditioner for your hair, which will probably get nice and dry from the ocean and the sun. If you enjoy wine and want to bring some onboard, you can buy it when you buy water and soda. Hawaii's wine selection (especially in the cities) has really expanded over the past 10 years. Safeway and Foodland both have a very good selection--and Safeway's club prices are not much more than here at home. Just put it in your carryon and expect to be required to the pay the $15 per bottle "corkage" fee (really should call it a consumption fee because they charge it no matter where you plan to drink it onboard).

Can't think of anything else right now. Have a lovely time.:)

beachchick

Hmmm.... Not sure about the candle -- kind of a fire hazard :cool:

A "travel" candle is NOT fire (little battery type)..its just for the mood! :) although Im not sure that the poster meant this type,but the one Im talking about Comes in a little can.. Dot

• Administrators

Thanks for the input and suggestions! I like the idea of the ziploc containers for ice, and you make a good point about beach towels -- my soft, fluffy ones from home wouldn't be soft and fluffy long! The beach bag we got is a sort of gym duffle bag -- it has lots of holes with grommets (sp?) so air circulation should be ok. I have also added hand sanitizer/Travel Wet Ones, a pack or two of kleenex, a nightlight for the bathroom, battery operated fans, and extra hair conditioner to the list!

We will have a car in Honolulu (or access anyway -- spending a day visiting friends who live there before we board) so we plan to go to Sam's Club there for drinks. We aren't wine drinkers, so that won't be an issue for us -- but I'm sure people who do enjoy wine will find that tidbit helpful as well, Beachchick!

Binoculars

I wish that we had a pair that are stablized. The regular ones were okay, but with the ship moving--well, you get the picture.

beachchick

The image stabilized binoculars won't be helpful at all. When the ship is moving, you are experiencing a gentle one-dimensional movement. The IS binocular can only compensate for random small movement from your arm. I have used binoculars extensively on the ship and didn't have any problem at all. Make sure you get a good quality pair with 10x power at least. Search CC forum and you will see a lot of suggestion and user experience on some binoculars. good luck

This is a great idea. Now I know exactly what to bring.

Forget the candle -- just bring a pack of matches. The sulfur smell gets rid of odors very fast.

I like the towel idea. This way one gets new clean towels not dirty ones.

The image stabilized binoculars won't be helpful at all. When the ship is moving, you are experiencing a gentle one-dimensional movement. The IS binocular can only compensate for random small movement from your arm. I have used binoculars extensively on the ship and didn't have any problem at all. Make sure you get a good quality pair with 10x power at least. Search CC forum and you will see a lot of suggestion and user experience on some binoculars. good luck

Good to know. Ours (both full size and travel size) are really goods ones, but I thought we were missing out by not having the stabilized kind.

beachchick

Something else I've picked up with my research - flashlights if you plan on going in the Lava Tube at Volcano National Park.

Also, possibly disposable waterproof cameras if you plan on snorkeling or going in waterfalls - you don't want your "nice" camera to be damaged. (I couldn't remember if this was mentioned yet).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Also, possibly disposable waterproof cameras if you plan on snorkeling or going in waterfalls - you don't want your "nice" camera to be damaged. (I couldn't remember if this was mentioned yet).

Not to unnecessarily bump an older post (if two weeks is "old") but on the waterproof camera front, I did some research and decided that for us the disposable kind is going to be the way to go. From reading reviews around the web, it seemed that the Fujifilm Quicksnap Waterproof gets really good reports for picture quality (to the extent any entry-level underwater camera takes decent photos). We found them at http://www.ecamerafilms.com/category_s/36.htm for $5.75 each (you could pay as low as $3.75 each for the ones that had a "best by" date of 05/2005 -- we didn't want to risk cameras two years past their prime).

After reading an article in Budget Travel on germs . . .

Hand sanitizer

Lysol spray and Clorox wipes for the handles, phone, remote, light switches, and everything in the bathroom or that looks potentially disgusting. And from what I've read on these boards about the housekeeping problems on POAm - this is a definite!

One thing I wish that I had was an extra battery for my watch. The battery died on the first day of the cruise. The gift shop on the ship did not sell watch batteries, and the only watches that they sold were extremely expensive, so it was not worth buying one just for temporary use. And, I did not want to waste valuable time searching for stores in port where I could buy a replacement battery. Luckily, my cell phone has a clock (though it didn't work while we were at sea), and my girlfriend had a watch, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Also, remember the airline carryon restrictions are now very strict: you can't have any liquids or gels in containers that are larger than 3 oz. Since you don't get your checked luggage until several hours after you board the ship, and since you must relinquish your checked luggage before going to bed the last night, be sure that anything that you need the first day or last morning is in a container that is 3 oz or smaller. This is probably especially true if you are doing a debarkation tour.

Mitsguy2001 wrote..One thing I wish that I had was an extra battery for my watch. The battery died on the first day of the cruise. The gift shop on the ship did not sell watch batteries, and the only watches that they sold were extremely expensive, so it was not worth buying one just for temporary use. And, I did not want to waste valuable time searching for stores in port where I could buy a replacement battery. Luckily, my cell phone has a clock (though it didn't work while we were at sea), and my girlfriend had a watch, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Ive never been on a cruise ship that didnt have the $10 shop with TONS of watches! I buy 2-3 every cruise I go on because they are as cheap as buying a battery. Most of them are "fun" watches,but I get a lot of compliments on most that I buy. Dot

Mitsguy2001 wrote..One thing I wish that I had was an extra battery for my watch. The battery died on the first day of the cruise. The gift shop on the ship did not sell watch batteries, and the only watches that they sold were extremely expensive, so it was not worth buying one just for temporary use. And, I did not want to waste valuable time searching for stores in port where I could buy a replacement battery. Luckily, my cell phone has a clock (though it didn't work while we were at sea), and my girlfriend had a watch, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Ive never been on a cruise ship that didnt have the $10 shop with TONS of watches! I buy 2-3 every cruise I go on because they are as cheap as buying a battery. Most of them are "fun" watches,but I get a lot of compliments on most that I buy. Dot

Then you have obviously never been on the Pride of Hawaii, since neither of their shops sold inexpensive $10 watches. The Port O'Call shop didn't sell any watches. The Galleria Botiques sold only very expensive watches. Do other NCL ships sell inexpensive watches, or do you not sail on NCL?

Then you have obviously never been on the Pride of Hawaii, since neither of their shops sold inexpensive $10 watches. The Port O'Call shop didn't sell any watches. The Galleria Botiques sold only very expensive watches. Do other NCL ships sell inexpensive watches, or do you not sail on NCL?

Heck! Dont tell me the NCL ships dont have the $10 boutiques! I was looking forward to some new fun watches! The watches are called Bijoux Terner.They even had a BT in the airport in London last year,and I shopped there while I waited for my flight. I guess I will have to stock up next Feb!

Heck! Dont tell me the NCL ships dont have the $10 boutiques! I was looking forward to some new fun watches! The watches are called Bijoux Terner.They even had a BT in the airport in London last year,and I shopped there while I waited for my flight. I guess I will have to stock up next Feb!

I, too, treat myself to a watch or two from Bijoux on every cruise---do check out the airport shops both at home and in Hawaii----I've seen two of their shops in state-side airports this year, and am hoping to find one on my way to POH.

One thing I wish that I had was an extra battery for my watch. The battery died on the first day of the cruise. The gift shop on the ship did not sell watch batteries, and the only watches that they sold were extremely expensive, so it was not worth buying one just for temporary use. And, I did not want to waste valuable time searching for stores in port where I could buy a replacement battery. Luckily, my cell phone has a clock (though it didn't work while we were at sea), and my girlfriend had a watch, so it wasn't too big a deal.

Also, remember the airline carryon restrictions are now very strict: you can't have any liquids or gels in containers that are larger than 3 oz. Since you don't get your checked luggage until several hours after you board the ship, and since you must relinquish your checked luggage before going to bed the last night, be sure that anything that you need the first day or last morning is in a container that is 3 oz or smaller. This is probably especially true if you are doing a debarkation tour.

OMG! That's an interesting coincidence. My watch strap broke on the first day of our trip and I just couldn't be bothered to take the time to find a watch store to get a new one. None of the bands in Longs, etc. came anywhere near being the right size or what I would wear. After checking several stores at Lahaina Cannery Mall and in Lahaina, I said, "The heck with this; I'm not wasting my precious time here looking for a stupid watch band."

What a pain in the patootie!

beachchick

I have no idea about the other NCL ships, but the NCLA Pride of ships don't have the same shopping opportunities as the internationally flagged ships. There is no duty-free alcohol shop (you're never out of the US; duty free does not apply) and no $10 type shop (at least, not on PoH). There's no reason for them to have masses of shops with the inexpensive, tax free, and duty free items because passengers must pay tax and duty. There were some inexpensive souveniers on PoH in the one big store (plus there's a pricy boutique), but that's it.

beachchick

Oh well...I always bring about two watches along (never bring my good ones) so I will have to just wait until my Feb cruise to ad to my cheap watch collection! But,even on vacation,I have to wear a watch.Im totally lost without one.Dot

Archived