Journey Deck 7 Self Laundry

1cruiselvr

Undertaking a world cruise and forcing the passengers to pay the high laundry fees won't sit well with most of them.
The laundry fees on Celebrity have always seemed quite reasonable to me .... and if one is going on a world cruise, chances are, the cost of laundry service is going to be one of the smaller on-board expenses on their account.

The extremely negative start Azamara received as well as some of the misperceptions of quality/service (i.e. plastic pool deck chairs and their whole Butler/Room Steward issue) will not be easy to overcome for them.
I understand from your previous posts (and this one) how negatively you feel about Azamara, but I really think that you are in the minority in not being able to look beyond their first week (in which the passengers cruised for free) .... I have no doubt that there are better things in store for Azamara.

First impressions are very long lasting and Azamara has provided a whopper of a first impression to everybody.
I've had some poor first impressions of people, places and things .... and more often than not, when I allow a fair chance for another impression, I realize that it's usually my attitude that was the problem with the first impression....and things turn out to be much better than they first appeared.

I am curious as to whether or not you've sailed with Celebrity and if so, what your experiences have been?

There must be something else tipping the scales in favor of O for you, other than laundry facilities :confused:

Since Azamara is a copy of O to a certain extent the other features of "O" for us will be no extra fee for specialty restaurants, laundry facilities, NO children's program, good food, allowing you to bring on alcohol(not that we drink much) free air packages.

I have not tried AZA yet so will have to see how it continues with the food and service etc...

We may do a Bermuda cruise but that is still undecided, will wait for them to get things sorted out.

I am curious as to whether or not you've sailed with Celebrity and if so, what your experiences have been?

What has my sailing on Celebrity got to do with my first impressions of Azamara?

If you had read all my posts you will find that I am hoping for Azamara to be successful in order to provide me with another option from cruising on Oceania, my line of choice, just as apparently Celebrity is your line of choice. So I am watching with keen interest and commenting upon certain comparisons. As far as laundry is involved cycling through 90% of your clothing on a weekly basis at a self serve laundry is infinitely cheaper than being charged by the piece by the cruiseline. You take the stance that anybody on a world cruise is loaded and that the cost of laundry should be considered inconsequential - not true. Obviously from the tone of the majority of these posts the Journey passengers would prefer to have the self serve laundry re-instated on this ship as the facilities were there at one time and have been needlessly removed.

For me, I am curious as to why you are so defensive of the actions of Azamara on this first cruise when it is beyond obvious that they were deceitful to this first group of passengers. Please don't respond with "....well the cruise was free what more could they ask for....." as that argument doesn't fly with me and has no merit in how these passengers were unknowingly treated as guinea pigs (those are the actual words of some of the returning passengers who have posted).

The laundry fees on Celebrity have always seemed quite reasonable to me .... and if one is going on a world cruise, chances are, the cost of laundry service is going to be one of the smaller on-board expenses on their account.

I understand from your previous posts (and this one) how negatively you feel about Azamara, but I really think that you are in the minority in not being able to look beyond their first week (in which the passengers cruised for free) .... I have no doubt that there are better things in store for Azamara.

I've had some poor first impressions of people, places and things .... and more often than not, when I allow a fair chance for another impression, I realize that it's usually my attitude that was the problem with the first impression....and things turn out to be much better than they first appeared.

You must work for the State Department. I agree with everything in your post.

I think having a laundry room is neglegable, it's a cruise for pity's sake. You are right though... if you are taking a world cruise, paying the light bill can't be much of an issue. This is a total luxury and if I was worried about how much the laundry bill is going to be then I should stay home or find a ship that has a facility. These ships aren't exactly cheap.

What has my sailing on Celebrity got to do with my first impressions of Azamara?

Your first impressions of Azamara are not first hand observations, but what you have read....and you haven't had any experience with Celebrity (who is running Azamara), so I find your posts a little curious.

For me, I am curious as to why you are so defensive of the actions of Azamara on this first cruise when it is beyond obvious that they were deceitful to this first group of passengers.

I'm not defending them ... just willing to give them more than one week to prove themselves.

I'm not defending them ... just willing to give them more than one week to prove themselves.

Hi Susan !

I agree. While I am sure we all agree that things SHOULD have gone better for Journey passengers during her first sailing, I feel it is unfair to pass such harsh judgement after ONE sailing. This is simply not enough time to pass an overall judgement on Azamara. Yes, I am VERY sympathetic for all of those who were on the first sailing, but IMHO, Azamara was more than fair in compensation. I truly hope that those who were on last week's sailing will at least consider giving Azamara a try in the future.

I am very curious to hear from those who are on this week's sailing. I am hopeful that things are improving. I am sure we will hear more when Journey returns this weekend.

Your first impressions of Azamara are not first hand observations, but what you have read....and you haven't had any experience with Celebrity (who is running Azamara), so I find your posts a little curious.

Is there something between the lines that I missed in reading posts from returning passengers who clearly indicated they did not appreciate being used as guinea pigs. What sort of impression does that leave imprinted in your mind.

I was rather intrigued and excited when I saw that perhaps RCI was going to develop a luxury line with Azamara thinking maybe I would have one other option. Alas their start was typical Celebrity lies and multitudes of customer service personel without a frigging clue. Hopefully with time they can shed their stigma and develop into something worthwhile.

Trust me when I say I have had more than enough experience with Celebrity. I have under my belt a cruise on Galaxy in 2003 where I thought certain things were in dire need of repair only to follow up with a return cruise on the same ship in 2005 and lo and behold found that the same things were still not in working order and many more were added to the list. I only agreed to sail with Celebrity again when I was assured I would be pleasently surprised with how much better the M class ships were. Giving Celebrity one last go I was so fortunate to experience the infamous May 2006 cruise on the Summit followed by an equally memorable last possible ever Celebrity "free" experience September 2006 on the Infinity.Celebrity has their issues and they have certainly alienated me as a possible passenger.

I am willing to wait a while for Journey and Azamara to prove themselves but for the life of me I still will never comprehend how they managed to start off so far in left field. There truly is no excuse possible except for incredibly poor management which is so reminiscent of how the entire Celebrity fleet is managed.

Disgruntled yes - willing to wait for them to show something - marginal at best as I now sense Azamara has attracted the same blind faith loyalists who defend Celebrity on a daily basis.

By any chance are you referring to the "fogged windows" and the "retractable roof over the pool"?

Apparently you have some sort of agenda here and it is getting rather tiresome to me and probably others. Let it go or take it back to the Celebrity Board as it certainly does not pertain to Azamara!!

This thread was about laundry or lack thereof - perhaps we can put this back on track and dismiss with the trivialities.

Question was asked - "Does Journey have a passenger coin operated laundry".

Answer was given - "No public laundry facilities on Journey"

My comment on issue - Too bad as it works very good on Oceania and would be extremely welcome on the longer cruises that this ship will soon be making. No big deal if the ship was going to do all seven day cruises as nobody would need to use it.

Archived