Vatican Entrance Costs - Recent Changes

Quick question - We booked a private driver/guide in March for our cruise in June. At the time of our booking, he quotes us 20 euro to book us wait free tickets to the Vatican museum and 12.5 for the Colosseum. We reserved at that time and provided credit card information to them.

I just sent him my final confirmation for the tour and entrance fees. He is now saying it will be 35 euro for the Vatican tour and 17.5 for the Colosseum pre-arranged tickets.

Does anyone have any insight for an honest reason to explain the increase?

Thanks-

Ann

We visited the Vatican on May 3, but not a wait free visit. The price for general admission had gone up from 12 to 13.00 Euros. We stood in line for over an hour & for a wait free visit, I'd be happy to pay 35.00. As the long lines increase throughout the summer, the guides are probably finding out they can charge more. I was totally amazed at the long lines so early in the tourist season.

Quick question - We booked a private driver/guide in March for our cruise in June. At the time of our booking, he quotes us 20 euro to book us wait free tickets to the Vatican museum and 12.5 for the Colosseum. We reserved at that time and provided credit card information to them.

I just sent him my final confirmation for the tour and entrance fees. He is now saying it will be 35 euro for the Vatican tour and 17.5 for the Colosseum pre-arranged tickets.

Does anyone have any insight for an honest reason to explain the increase?

Thanks-

Ann

Anne,

I would not use someone who is changing his fees on you. There is no such thing as a "no wait" unless 1) There is no line (2) you book directly through the Vatcan.

Is this a walking tour where you meet a guide near the museum entrance? He/She is charging you a booking fee it appears. Does the 35 and 17.50 include a tour by a licensed guide OR is this a driver you have booked and he is picking up tickets for you and you will go by yourself?

You need to e-mail and ask questions. I did for our upcoming Florence tour. The driver said he did not charge to book reservations for the Academia etc. But there is a euro 3 booking fee you pay when you pick up your tickets. That is fine with us, I just wanted a clarification.

There is ALWAYS a wait for the Vatican museum. We didn't have to wait in line to buy tickets, but there is a security line. Everyone goes through the metal detectors and puts their backpacks/purses through the x-ray. Even if you have a guide, you will wait in this line - and it can be VERY long (we waited over an hour WITH our guide). After you get through security, your guide will be able to go up to the special guides-only window and purchase the tickets with no wait. What we found was that the regular ticket window had no line either.

There is ALWAYS a wait for the Vatican museum. We didn't have to wait in line to buy tickets, but there is a security line. Everyone goes through the metal detectors and puts their backpacks/purses through the x-ray. Even if you have a guide, you will wait in this line - and it can be VERY long (we waited over an hour WITH our guide). After you get through security, your guide will be able to go up to the special guides-only window and purchase the tickets with no wait. What we found was that the regular ticket window had no line either.

Do you know if they will hand check 35mm film and not make you put it through the metal detectors?

I am really confused about the Vatican waiting issue. I had posted on here awhile back asking if having a guide did or didn't help with the lines. I was told that it did. We have a tour booked with Benvenuto, whose website says there is no way to circumvent the lines.

Yet, I have a private tour guide booked through Benvenuto and through some "new system", we can purchase tickets ahead and be in by 9:30AM.

What gives and what is the real story?

I am really confused about the Vatican waiting issue. I had posted on here awhile back asking if having a guide did or didn't help with the lines. I was told that it did. We have a tour booked with Benvenuto, whose website says there is no way to circumvent the lines.

Yet, I have a private tour guide booked through Benvenuto and through some "new system", we can purchase tickets ahead and be in by 9:30AM.

What gives and what is the real story?

Why don't you ask them. Perhaps guides can now pre-book the times just like individuals and groups doing the vatican guided tours?

The current pricing for 2007

"Entrance tickets to the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel

The admission ticket to the Vatican Museums is valid for visiting the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel only on the date of purchase. It is also valid for entrance to the Vatican Historical Museum and Noble Apartment of the Lateran Apostolic Palace (near the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome) during regular opening hours if used within the five consecutive days from the date of purchase (included).

Reservation is not required. Tickets are not refundable.

Regular Euro 13,00

Reduced Euro 8,00"

http://mv.vatican.va

Yet, I have a private tour guide booked through Benvenuto and through some "new system", we can purchase tickets ahead and be in by 9:30AM

I read that someplace too. As long as you were part of a group guided by a locally licensed tour guide, not only can purchase "no wait" group tour ticket but you can also enter before general admission starts at 10:30am. I guess I'll have to trawl back though my stuff now and try to find where I read that again.

This whole idea with the Vatican had been troubling me too since this is the one thing my husband says he has to do during our trip to Rome. This is what I found out:

1. Since implementing the new entrance times at 10:30 a.m. as opposed to 8:30 a.m., the vatican has allowed certain tour guides and their groups in before this time.

2. In order for a tour guide to be allowed into the Vatican before regular opening times, they had to pay a 6000 euro fee to be allowed this priveledge. They then become "vatican approved guides" This is not to be confused with the guides that work for the vatican. These tours have to be booked directly with the vatican through fax.

3. Since this is a pretty steep cost, many tour guides do not have this designation and therefore will not be able to get you into the vatican before the regular opening times. What they claim they do is wait for you in line but I have read that this system is not working that well in the mornings. There are times when they wait for you but are still nowhere near the entrance when your tour is about to start and you still have to with. In addition, everybody has to go through the security check. I have also been told that this is mainly a problem only in the morning time. Afternoons, specially near closing time, are not as busy. As I only have the morning before my cruise, I had to book with a vatican approved guide.

4. You might want to inquire with your tour guide whether they have this designation. This might be the reason there was an increase in cost. The vatican also charges them for a reservation fee for each person in the tour. Angel Tours I believe is able to do this as well as a company called rome-tours.

This is as much as I have found out. I hope it helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a private guide (Limo in Rome) for a day long tour (Euro 500 for the 4 of us for the day), plus an additional Euro 140 (again for the 4 of us) for the licensed guide and the entrance fee to the Vatican. My contact at Limo in Rome writes me that “ Licensed guides are allowed to enter the Vatican Museums & Sistine Chapel with their clients at 8:00 up 10:00 a.m. without standing in line before the official opening time scheduled at 10:00 a.m. for all other visitors. After 10:00 a.m. also licensed guide have to comply with line."

He sent his email on 5/6, and is picking our group up at 7:45 AM to be sure we get there in plenty of time to avoid the lines. I sure hope and trust he is a man of his word.

BTW, he asked for neither deposit nor credit card information, and I thought I read good things about LIR on these boards

Archived