Thankgiving weekend cruise

We cruised last Thanksgiving week and found the ship to have a lot of school age kids traveling. We didn't think about this before making our reservations, but it does make sense since it is a short school week.

I've only cruised once over the Thanksgiving Day holiday, and will NEVER do it again.

Nothing against children, but they "literally" took over the ship! (one night at dinner, the maitradi actually announced that we have 600 children on board!

They were EVERYEHERE! Running up & down the hallways, around the pool area, they even took over the dance floor in the disco one night!

Made it hard to relax & really enjoy "being out there".

On the up side . . . The ship was beautifully decorated for the upcoming Christmas holiday, and a very delicious traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the fixings was on the menu on T'Day. (it was delicious!!:-)

I usually cruise during January or Feb. This was the 1st (and last) time I'll cruise in Nov. It rained 3 out of the 7 days I was onboard:-(

Sorry to sound so negative, just expressing my thoughts to your question.

Annie

We cruised over Thanksgiving last year on the Splendor of the Seas. There were lots of kids (2 were mine), but I didn't feel that the ratio of adult to child was out of whack...but then again, I was in 'mommy mode' so maybe I wasn't really paying attention!

They did offer a typical American Thanksgiving dinner, but we had the late seating and they actually ran out of turkey....and mashed potatoes....and stuffing....

It was actually pretty funny...after we ordered dinner, we noticed that ALL of the waitstaff had gone missing for about 5-10 minutes...I mean ALL of them.....when they brought out the plates, the 'turkey' was a funny shade of pink, the 'mashed potatoes' were light orange and there was no stuffing/dressing to be seen. The meat was ham, and they had mixed what was left of the mashed potatoes with sweet potates. Finally, our waiter explained all of this in a very hushed and embarrassed voice.

Since we had planned to have a 'real Thanksgiving' dinner once we got home my husband wasn't really upset. Besides, my herb crusted cod was fantastic...plenty of that to go around! :)

We cruised last Thanksgiving week and found the ship to have a lot of school age kids traveling. We didn't think about this before making our reservations, but it does make sense since it is a short school week.

We cruised the week of Easter this year and had a amazing amount of children too, but luckily I like children. Just agreeing that if you book a holiday you are likely to have tons of children. We also got such a great price who cares, we were on a cruise :)

what is special is not having to shop, clean, cook, present, clean up, do dishes, mess with left overs... just you and your family enjoying each other being SERVED and then off you go to continue your vacation. One can order one meal, the other something different with no worry about who will want to be served what.

priceless

We enjoy Thanksgiving cruising. Depends on what ship you're on as to how many kids are on board. We did AOS last year, to many kids for us. We're doing the Jewel this year, often find fewer kids on the smaller ships. Also, often the last few days of the cruise the ships is being decorated for the December holidays which is a nice touch.

Izzy

Archived