Any input on Sixth Avenue Inn in Seattle?

Christen99

We just booked a room for the evening before our Alaskan cruise, and I basically pointed to the monitor and chose because I was so tired of looking at all the different options. My DH gave me a spending limit of $150 so unfortunately there were alot of really nice hotels that were out of reach (it actually made it easier to cross several hotels off the list that way). I liked the pictures I saw of the the hotel we did choose, and I liked the central downtown location near all of the various points of interest, but I was hoping for some real input into our choice. Any input is much appreciated!

We just booked a room for the evening before our Alaskan cruise, and I basically pointed to the monitor and chose because I was so tired of looking at all the different options. My DH gave me a spending limit of $150 so unfortunately there were alot of really nice hotels that were out of reach (it actually made it easier to cross several hotels off the list that way). I liked the pictures I saw of the the hotel we did choose, and I liked the central downtown location near all of the various points of interest, but I was hoping for some real input into our choice. Any input is much appreciated!

Hi, The 6th Ave. Hotel has been there since I was a little girl and stayed there about 30 years ago. Given that, I can't speak to the rooms. Location is wonderful. You can walk easily to great shopping, the monorail, down to Pike Street Market (if you wear good walking shoes), to the space needle or Lake Union. If you like Jazz there is a great Jazz Venue called Jazz Alley just down the street, they have a web site you could see who's in town and have dinner and show very reasonably. Lots of great restaurants within walking distance. After dark...be vigilent, there are a few blocks I wouldn't want to walk. Have Fun! techteach

We haven't stayed there for a couple years so some things may have changed but I would suggest that the Sixth Avenue is deceptive in its location. It is great if you have a car, and it is kind of a motel hotel. There really isn't too much that is special about it. When you look at a map it is very central but it is in a part of downtown that is mostly offices and small apartments. It is a healthy walking distance to the Seattle Center (Space Needle, Theater, Opera, and the Experience Music Project). It is an even healthier walk with borderline unsafe moments to go to places like the Westlake Center or Pike's Place Market. To get to the historic Pioneer Square area or to Safeco field will require transportation. Now one advantage of Seattle is that the busses are free in the downtown core.

Some options that you may want to consider would be the Mayflower Park Hotel (use the entertainment card), Comfort Suites Seattle Center, and Best Western Executive Inn. They will be in your general price or just a bit higher, but frankly for Downtown Seattle your DH's price limit is very low. I always feel lucky to get a place there under $200, which is usually why I stay out of downtown.

Happy Sails,

The Sixth Avenue Inn is located on 6th and Virginia which in my opinion is not a bad location. You are about 8 -9 blocks to the Pike Place Market and about a mile or so to the Seattle Center, 3 blocks for Nordstroms and Pacific Place. I work in downtown Seattle and for the most part our city is safe to walk around. I am not sure about the hotel itself since I have never stayed there.

Have a fabulous time in our great city.

I'm not terribly worried about the city being unsafe, I live in the SF Bay Area and have spent a good amount of time in San Francisco (my grandparents lived there when I was a kid, and I grew up 45 minutes south of the city). We might cab it or use the bus line, if we feel it's a bit of a walk to where we want to go. My DH loves being out and about, has lived in San Francisco and is a fairly large guy so I definately feel safe with him. We're basically looking at our hotel as a place to sleep before we go on our cruise, so I'm not looking for luxury just cleanliness. We've never been to Seattle, so we do want to go see a few touristy sites and if we end up taking a cab or a bus instead of walking, we're ok with that too. I think we'll have a great time in Seattle, I've spent quite a bit of time in Olympia and in the surrounding sticks (my sister used to live in the sticks of Shelton) and I'm looking forward to more time in WA.

I also work in Seattle and we go there a lot on the weekends (we live in Redmond). If you want to go the Seattle Center, you can always hop on the monorail which you can catch at Westlake Center - a few blocks from the Sixth Avenue Inn - and then take it back downtown. I don't consider it a long walk from downtown to the Seattle Center but I realize some people might. I'm 54 but my husband and I walk a lot. As someone else mentioned, there is a whole loop in the downtown area where the busses are free. We now have the hop on and hop off busses if that interests you. Another way to see the sights is the Ride the Duck Tours which are amphibious World War II vehicles. I've never been and they seem kind of corny but they also look fun. Especially if the weather is warm. Anyway, I hope you have a great time in our wonderful city!

Kathleen

Archived