Flight Changed- Need Advice!!!

HappyStamper

I got a phone message that the airline rescheduled our return flight. I am a first-time cruiser and infrequent flier so I need to hear from the voice of experience. We are disembarking at the Port of Miami and flying out of Fort Lauderdale to Chicago then driving home to West Michigan. The flight I booked was to leave FLL at 3:26 and arrive at Midway at 5:34 giving us a comfortable schedule not having to rush from the ship to the airport while still arriving home at a reasonable hour. The phone message says that we are rescheduled to fly out at 7:45pm and land in Chicago at 9:45 (10:45 eastern!) with a two to three hour drive ahead of us! (Spending the night in Chicago is not an option.) When I checked the airline schedule I see a flight leaving FLL about 1:30. My question is can we comfortably get off the ship , taxi to Fort Lauderdale, get through security with a family of five and all of our luggage, and make the plane at 1:30 without me being totally stressed out and screaming at my family? That certainly doesn't sound like the perfect ending to our first cruise, does it?!?

and they say 25 miles and 35 minutes. So you think the earlier flight would be okay? I hate choosing between rushing to the airport or getting home at 1:00am with everyone having to return to work or school the next day!!! Especially after talking to my sister-in-law who tells me she did not get a call about her family being rescheduled from the 3:26 flight!

It may depend on what airlines you are flying on, and whether or not they will re-book the five of you on the 1:30 p.m. flight out of FLL with no change fee. If they will, you should have no problem making this flight. FLL is about 25 miles from Miami, but there can often be heavy traffic. However, that 1:30 p.m. time should be just fine...IF yoau can get on it. What airline are you on?

The cruiselines generally suggest you not book flights before noon so your 1:30 time should be fine. Be sure and remind them they rebooked you on the late flight. I certainly don't think you should have to pay to change to something more suitable. Good luck!

I knew I could count on CC members to help me out! The phone message also said to call them back if this change didn't meet our travel needs. I just wanted to find out if the ealier flight was doable before calling. I certainly don't expect to pay to change my flight since the original reservation was made in May and they are inconveniencing me! And I'll definitly ask why this happened. It doesn't sound like the flight was cancelled since no one else in our group got the call.

I just wanted to let you all know that my husband called the airline today and not only did they get us on a flight leaving at a reasonable time they changed both flights to go into and out of Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale. We originally booked Fort Lauderdale and planned to arrive very late because it was significantly less expensive for a family of five but the airline changed us to Miami arriving mid-day with no hassles so it all worked out for the best!

Glad everything worked out okay. BTW, I think you would be fine with the 1:30 flight, just so you know for the future! You do realize, don't you, that you won't be satisifed with just one cruise? Before you know it, you'll be infected with the mighty cruise bug, and well, all I can say is, you'll see what I mean soon enough!

What time are you leaving out of Miami now?

Just for future- we were the last people off the Voyager last year--got off by 10:30 then took a limo to the FLL airport. We were there by 11:30 So yes, you would have made the 1:30 and taking it easy also.

JerseyGirl- I know! We are already starting to plan our second cruise for August of 2006 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It will definitely be just the two of us and we are thinking about Alaska.

Serene- We are flying out of miami at 1:15. We figured if eveyone was saying 1:30 out of FLL was okay this should be, too. The best part is our incoming flight: We had booked a flight that wouldn't have arrived in FLL til 11:00pm Saturday (not realizing the rental car desk would close at 10:30) because for the five of us it was a difference of over $100 less than arriving on the next earlier flight and about $250 less than landing in Miami. Now we will be arriving in Miami at 6:30pm and be a short taxi ride from our hotel.

1:15 out of Miami is perfect. take your time getting off. Be one of the last ones off...

Im looking to do a group cruise to Alaska for 2006. Keep an eye on the boards for that one. I have to wait til next year though for pricing.

If you are flying in the night before, I would suggest a precruise at the Holiday Inn Marina Park. It was formerly the Best Western Marina Park Hotel. The rates are usually quite good, and it's right across the street from Bayside. It's the closest hotel to the Port of Miami...a $5 taxi ride. If you request a room on an upper floor (around the 6th floor and above), you will see the ships in port in the a.m. After you arrive and get checked-in, you can walk across the street and get your cruise started properly...by listening to the outdoor band playing at Bayside while sipping a pina colada!

[quote name='HappyStamper']JerseyGirl- I know! We are already starting to plan our second cruise for August of 2006 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It will definitely be just the two of us and we are thinking about Alaska.

Serene- We are flying out of miami at 1:15. We figured if eveyone was saying 1:30 out of FLL was okay this should be, too. The best part is our incoming flight: We had booked a flight that wouldn't have arrived in FLL til 11:00pm Saturday (not realizing the rental car desk would close at 10:30) because for the five of us it was a difference of over $100 less than arriving on the next earlier flight and about $250 less than landing in Miami. Now we will be arriving in Miami at 6:30pm and be a short taxi ride from our hotel.[/QUOTE]
HappyStamper, does all the car rental companies close their desks at 1030. We are arriving at Miami International at 9:37pm from Denver and I am now concerned. If we have a delay, we might not make the desk at 10:30?

[quote name='Cruzin4Life']HappyStamper, does all the car rental companies close their desks at 1030. We are arriving at Miami International at 9:37pm from Denver and I am now concerned. If we have a delay, we might not make the desk at 10:30?[/QUOTE]
I really don't know. You would probably have to call and ask. When we were originally supposed to land in Fort Lauderdale at 11:00 pm my husband was inquiring about renting a car to drive to Miami and was told that he wouldn't be able to pick up a car after 10 or 10:30 pm at the Fort Lauderdale airport. Miami may be different since it is a busier airport.

Archived