airport carry on & security

M&T

Within China, airports have an 11 lb. requirement on the carry on. When is it weighed? Do they weigh a purse and the carry on? Do you go through security where you take everything out of your pockets? I guess what I'm getting at is can you put some batteries in your pocket to lighten the weight on your carryon. What is the whole security process like? Thanks. Marlyne

Within China, airports have an 11 lb. requirement on the carry on. When is it weighed? Do they weigh a purse and the carry on? Do you go through security where you take everything out of your pockets? I guess what I'm getting at is can you put some batteries in your pocket to lighten the weight on your carryon. What is the whole security process like? Thanks. Marlyne

First, are you going on an independent trip or a tour-either ship or group tour???

If a tour, the airlines really pay no attention, as the luggage is generally on a "bulk" basis. ie: everyone's luggage is averaged together, so if one person is over, it is no great concern, as someone is bound to be under (the tour guide usually).

Also depends on the airline. Air China is rather strict on weight limits, Dragon Air, China Eastern, and China Southern are more lenient.

Security is much the same as the US, but there again, it depends on the airline and airport. Some of the smaller airports are not QUITE as formal, but there is still security much the same as the US.

Just plan on doing exactly what you do in the US. EVERYTHING out of your pockets, no jewelry, no metal belt buckles, etc. etc. It will be MUCH easier on you, even if it is not required by that particular airport/airline. The language barrier if you are traveling independently is just too difficult to overcome trying to interpret rules in a foreign country.

I haven't heard of an 11-pound limitation on carry-on bags. If my carry on was weighed, I was totally unaware of it and I know it weighed more than 11 pounds!

I didn't take any domestic flights when I was there (is that what you mean by "within China????), so my only experience is with the international flights. I flew Air China. I had two checked bags. Both bags were overweight and they didn't charge me a fee for them. Going through security, as greatam said, is similar to security in airports in the States. The only difference is that after going through the metal detector, every person then steps up on a square platform (about 2'x2') and is wanded. At least that's what they did the day I flew home.

Jayne

:)

Yes, I am talking about flying from Beijing to Xi'an, Xi'an to Chongqing, Wuhan to Shanghai. We are with a group but we have been told that the carry on has to be 11 lbs or under. Marlyne

We did several flights within China, starting from Beijing. We flew with Air China. our luggage was collected by our guide and turned into the proper desk. We had a large variety of carry ons, back packs and the like in our group and I never saw anything weighed. We went through security, just like in the U.S. with all the same requirements and restrictions. I wouldn't worry about carrying batteries on your person unless you really want to. You shouldn't have any trouble. They will not permit you to take a bottle of opened water, but unopened is okay. We had one guy who had a tiny little jack knife in his fanny pack and it was taken from him, but he was given a voucher and permitted to pick it up when we flew back in.

The one thing that really, really impressed me with the internal flights was that our luggage was waiting for us at every single stop. it was always unloaded and ready for us to pick up, despite the airplane being filled to the brim - not one was waiting for luggage. That was quite the feat, if you ask me.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

My husband and I returned from China last weekend. We were on a tour that included 4 domestic flights within the country. I agree with Charlie.....the security checks and baggage pick-up was super efficient. No lines to speak of and hardly ever had to wait more than 5 minutes for a bag. Usually it was waiting for us. Such a difference from the 2 hours we spent in lines at LAX when we departed.

Marcia in CT

Archived