Faulklands question

SoBaycruiser

I know that everyone says that if you are lucky enough to get into port one should see the penguins. However, my husband is really into military history. He would love to see something of the 1982 Faulklands War. Is there anything to see in that arena?

When we were lucky enough to visit Port Stanley in 2003, I, too was interested in what would be available to view about the 1982 conflict. We took a city tour which included a stop at their small but interesting museum, where artifacts from the conflict are on display. Also, the tour guide drove us around, out of town a bit, to see fenced-off and well marked mine-fields and described places where landings and battles occurred.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of mines still laying in the peat areas on the island. As a result, there is a small office in Port Stanley manned by British military whose function is to inform the public about where mine fields are and they have a display of what the mines and other explosive devices look like.

We also took an excursion out to the Long Island Sheep Ranch, which is about a 45-minute drive from Port Stanley. Between the ranch and Port Stanley there are remains of military vehicles and helicopters in a few places.

There are several gift shops which sell books about the Falklands conflict as well. Hope this helps!

I just wanted to mention that you can easily see the Penguins and also go to the downtown Port Stanley area to walk around.

On our cruise we were fortunate to have a lecturer who spoke about the Falkland Islands with a good portion of the lecture about the war.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Yes, there is at least one half day tour of Falklands battlefields on offer. and you can also hire your own four by four if you want to design your own route and see specific sites. Best to book before via the web, but you can probably arrange something when you arrive by checking at the Visitor Centre on the jetty. The Falklands are marvellous, but you need to be strong on desolate, windswept wide open spaces, not unlike parts of Scotland.

Archived