LAN versus LAN PERU.

croftonbill

could one of you experiened south american experts please explain the difference between these two airlines,will be flying from lima to buenos aires in december and don't know if they are the same or if one is domestic?also opinions re.quality of these airlines.thx.bill

could one of you experiened south american experts please explain the difference between these two airlines,will be flying from lima to buenos aires in december and don't know if they are the same or if one is domestic?also opinions re.quality of these airlines.thx.bill

LAN-Lan Peru, Lan Chile and now Lan Argentina and Lan Ecuador. All one company, all part of the OneWorld Alliance (AA, BA, Cathay, Qantas, etc). One of the better airlines in the world. Newer Airbus equipment generally. You will be fine. Enjoy your flights. I fly LAN to South America any chance I get. MUCH better service than AA and I am a top tier AA elite.

We flew Lan Chile to Peru and Lan Peru in Peru, and they are the one and the same. As Greatam said, great new planes, a Spanish version of Alan Fundt show "Candid Camera" on many of the flights was funny. They offered free drinks including hard alcohol out of a 1.75 bottle on our flights in December of 2006. We were really spoiled by the service on all of our South American flights (we did TAM in Brazil).

Would not hesitate to fly them again, much better than AA!

jc:)

When returning from Santiago to Miami we have the option of flying on LAN Chile (operated by AA) or AA. Which do you suggest? Is the LAN as good when flying back to Miami? I did not look to see what size plane it was. I will be flying to Buenos Aires on AA.

Thanks for any help.

When returning from Santiago to Miami we have the option of flying on LAN Chile (operated by AA) or AA. Which do you suggest? Is the LAN as good when flying back to Miami? I did not look to see what size plane it was. I will be flying to Buenos Aires on AA.

Thanks for any help.

If it is LAN operated by AA, it is AA-planes, service, food, flight attendants.

If it is LAN operated by LAN, take it.

I am a VERY loyal AA flier (over 100,000 miles per year). But on my 4 business trips to South America each year, I try to fly LAN. AA just isn't as good on that route as LAN.

I don't fly much, basicly just to Vegas. Anyways, when we go to S America we fly LAN to and from Los Angeles, and I was a bit worried since I have not heard of them. You have alleviated my fears. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I have booked the nonstop from LAX on LAN in March as well. it is certainly the most convenient itinerary from the West Coast and I have heard good things about the comfort and service. Here's hoping!!!!

glad to read this thread! I'm taking LAN Peru a week from today to Lima. Unfortunately I could not use my AA miles to upgrade, so will be in Economy. That will be the true acid test as to an airline's comfort. The seats are configured 2-3-2, so that will be nice. I'll be at a window in a 2-seat section.

Seastheday, would you mind posting when you return to let me know how economy is? My husband is lucky enough to be going business and at least earning AA miles, but if I get the chance to go next time, it would have to be economy too! I am guessing it will be nicer than most flights on other airlines! Fingers crossed here! Have a great trip!

Nanette

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back from Peru, and will answer your question about LAN economy. There is good news and bad.

Good: It was quite comfortable. On the trip there we had in-seat displays of our own. On the trip back, we did not (the same type of plane.) Everyone is given there own shrink-wrapped blanket and pillow, movies are shown, GPS in-flight system is available, the food served was good - though few drinks were served.

Bad: LAN seriously overbooks flights, particularly on intra-country flights. I visited a group which had 30 people bumped from a LAN Chile flight to Easter Island from Valparaiso (or Santiago, don't remember which.) Others were bumped from Cusco to Lima. Much of the culture in Latin America travel seems to center on manana. Consider contingencies with travel in these areas. Another negative is that Spanish is the native language and English announcements were sometimes difficult to understand, and given after Spanish.

Bad: LAN seriously overbooks flights, particularly on intra-country flights. I visited a group which had 30 people bumped from a LAN Chile flight to Easter Island from Valparaiso (or Santiago, don't remember which.) Others were bumped from Cusco to Lima. Much of the culture in Latin America travel seems to center on manana.

The Lima/Cusco flights are often overbooked for two reasons:1. LOTS and I do mean LOTS of no shows. I have been on flights FROM Cusco that were sold out and only about 60% occupancy on the plane. I asked the FA about it. He stated it happened about 40% of the time, especially the early planes out of Cusco (guess the backpackers just can't get out of bed or don't want to leave). So when everyone DOES show up, it creates havoc.

2. The fog and mist sometimes prevents landing in Cusco. So back to Lima you go. Makes the flights the next day appear to be oversold, but they are not. They are the fliers that couldn't make it the day before.

Another negative is that Spanish is the native language and English announcements were sometimes difficult to understand, and given after Spanish.

Why would you think that the primary annoucement on an airline based in Chile should be in English??? DUH!!!

thanks seas the day! My husband just got back yesterday too. He said the planes were nice and new but even in business class they were very tight with the drinks (not to mention they didn't have any bourbon...he's a Jack Daniels drinker):o They ran out of shrimp, so he was offered soup instead LOL! I think for the almost $8,000 rt airfare, he was being picky...but I can't blame him!

We have decided to fly economy when I get to go with him and put the airfare money on an 8 day NCL cruise to Mexico in an AB suite for the difference! LOL

Thanks for "telling it like it was!" I appreciate your candor.:cool:

Who said I expected a national airline from a spanish-speaking country to use english as their primary language? No need to bash me.

As for whether it is worth paying extra to go first class? Not with my own money, though I love using upgrades. Economy class was fine, and it is a short flight. Good choice (in my opinion) to use the extra funds for a cruise : )

Seas, no worries!;)

The flight we're talking about is 11+hours LAX to Santiago!:eek: I still will suck it up and fly econ. in order to cruise over Thanksgiving!:p Well worth the "pain!" LOL! What was the seating configuration in economy? Thanks for the info!!

Nanette

ooooh, 11 hours - yuck. The worst trip for me was JFK to Hong Kong in economy, I don't remember how many hours, and it was terrible. The plane was much smaller than LAN. Still, I'm glad I saved the thousands of dollars to use for something else.

Plane configuration: 2 - 3 - 2.

Go to seatguru.com, and you can see the best of these seats. My jet was an A320, which I could tell from the ticket.

My daughter was just in Valparaiso. She is on Semester at Sea. She, and hundreds of others, LOVED Chile! So much so, I am determined to go there some day. Enjoy : )

• 3 weeks later...

April and May we did Houston to Lima RT on AA, every flight late, planes dirty typical AA rudrness from most all AA employees we came in contact with.

8 internal LAN Peru flights were on -time, clean new planes, professional and friendly employees. Wish they would operate in the US with peruvian staff. The AA. US Air and the NWA of the United States would just disappear as they should any way

Archived